Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The longest thread in the world... ever! - 241 to 270
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 9 of 12 - <<First  ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:05PM
2708 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Crimbo food - hmm, yeah the full roast wins hands down but then, it's really about 18 foods together in one highly appetising package. Mince pies rule and in my opinion there is no more christmassy smell than that of a freshly peeled satsuma.

Really, a satsuma? Why? I've got to admit of all the christmassy smells I can think of a satsuma wouldn't be it.

I'd have to say the full roast turkey, with all the trimmings (those little sausages wrapped in bacon - marvellous!) is one of the greatest meals known. In fact, I'd have to say hte smell of that is the most christmassy smell, but that's because I make a point of avoiding turkey throughout the year so it's special for christmas!

And of course the traditional turkey sandwiches afterwards... Mmmmmm!

That being said, the whole mince pies/mulled wine thing is rather smashing. But I've got to wonde if they'd taste half as good if they weren't part of the whole "lead up to xmas" thing?

And just why are they called mince pies since they don't include any mince?

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:12PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Really, a satsuma? Why? I've got to admit of all the christmassy smells I can think of a satsuma wouldn't be it.

I dunno, I think they just always featured quite heavily in my family's winter festivities when I was a kid. Probably the only vitamins my mum could get into me over the season

And just why are they called mince pies since they don't include any mince?

Apparently back in the day they did - simple as that. All sounds a bit grim to me though!

Loo Rahhh
Don't kick my bum, don't kick my bum.
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:18PM
56 Posts
Hmmm roast potatoes..so very, very good. Not sure I can approve of satsuma business though as all seems a bit healthy and fruit-like to me? Christmas morning is great - waking up and immediately having bucks fizz thrust into your hand by elderly relatives! Then being allowed to scoff chocolate and mince pies without anyone judging you...oh yes....only 3 weeks to go

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:52PM
4213 Posts
I think Satsumas and Walnuts were a traditional prezie for kids after the war when fruit and nuts were harder to get.

Spanners is right about the mincemeat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat

I would have to be really controversial and say roast beef.

let me explain further....

My dad used to be a Chef (Now he lectures about it). For the 2 months before christmas 90% of all the bookings are for christmas meals so you spend 2 months cooking Turkey. As you will know from your Gordon Ramsey programs kitchens are quite hectic environments so when you get the chance for a meal break it ends up being whatever is going in the kitchen. So as a result me pops would spend 2 months cooking and eating Turkey and would therefore develop a pathalogical hatred of it by Dec 25th.

As a result we used to have somthing super nice like roasted sirloin of beef (or yes you can roast it!). Which would always be my top meal of the year.

Amazing as it may sound I don't think I knew that everyone didn't have beef till i was about 10 and I had never eaten roast Turkey until 1999 when I went to the missus place for Christmas dinner. I've gotta say I don't see what all the fuss is about as Turkey seems like a less nice version of chicken (Although don't consider that a slight on the missus as she is one of the finest roast dinner makers known to mankind).

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 6th Dec '05 4:56PM
2708 Posts
You know I've just re-read this thread from start to finish, and all I can say is:

WOW

I suddenly understand why it got the most random thread award...

Loo Rahhh
Don't kick my bum, don't kick my bum.
Tue 6th Dec '05 5:36PM
56 Posts
Yes, I started reading it from the beginning (being new and having never seen it before) and it was very enthralling. Had to stop though as thought might get fired for spending the whole day mulling over the chicken/egg question rather than doing non-interesting things such as work! Did think on the chicken egg situation though that the chicken-like creature had to come from an egg therefore adding fourth entity to whole scenario...maybe? Actually, I don't know anything about science so am going to shut up!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 6th Dec '05 5:38PM
1673 Posts
You swines. You cads. You raging curs.

I noticed that this thread had suddenly come back. I thought to myself "Hmmm - I bet this is one of those DaddyDotOrgers suddenly worrying that the Game of Life thread is on the verge of taking over." This is indeed what I thought, and it's indeed what I thought you'd thought, but I didn't think you'd actually have been so brash as to say it. Well, I'm disgusted.

However, just to show that I am above being drawn into such low-down thread competition, I'd like to join in the current topic of conversation anyway. I'd like to do so by making rather a bold statement:

I've never understood the obsession with Christmas dinner.

I mean, granted, as a long-term vegetarian the last time I ate a "traditional" christmas dinner was in 1989 ( good grief! that's the decade before last!) but still - it's just another roast dinner! It's just some meat, with some potatoes next to it, and some other vegetables next to it too! Just like you eat frequently throughout the year! Why's it suddenly interesting in late December? Think of all the other things there are to eat - things with genuine complexity and subtlety! Every year, there's the usual plethora of "best meal of the year, this" comments and every year I quietly wonder why. And, before you ask, I was of the same opinion even when I still ate the turkey aspect of it (as opposed to the vegetarian alternatives I tend to have now, and which, to my memory, are vastly nicer than I used to think turkey was).

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Tue 6th Dec '05 7:22PM
758 Posts
I realise I'm setting myself up for a barrage of abuse here, patricularly since the only other DDOer I know to agree with me (Deanery) is perpetually absent, but:

SPROUTS.

Spanners*
Tue 6th Dec '05 8:17PM
4597 Posts
Ah the christmas roast dinner
Thick slices of tender, moist turkey with crispy skin and bacon, bite-size chipolatas wrapped in crispy bacon, lashings of stuffing, roast potatoes and a bit of veg all drenched in thick gravy. Aaaaah.
The thing is yes, there are more complicated dishes out there but why mess with perfection? Greater complexity doesn't necessarily mean more tasty.
Also it's a meal that you generally only have once a year, it's great to look forward to

Remember though Malc, it's well known that peoples tastes don't develop fully until after puberty. You were 11 last time you ate a non-veggie crimbo dinner and I wouldn't expect you to have appreciated it to its fullest. I know that although crimbo dinner was always mighty, it wasn't until I was 15 or so that I realised it was the best thing ever ever ever.

P.S. Sprouts ming

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 6th Dec '05 9:59PM
2708 Posts

Kelly was bold enough to comment:
SPROUTS.

Well I hope your happy with yourself. You've just irreversibly associated the (very cool) green bouncy smiley with the (very gross) brussel sprouts.

I'm going to end up having nightmares tonight about being chased by big green bouncing sprouts. I can feel it coming on right now.

AND I'm never going to be able to use the green bouncy smiley in the same way again. It's just been completely destroyed for me, like a fine gateaux that's been run over.

I don't know how you can sleep at night, I really don't.

Malcolm*
Tue 6th Dec '05 11:45PM
1673 Posts

Remember though Malc, it's well known that peoples tastes don't develop fully until after puberty.

Ah, yes, a fair point. So I can presume there's a level of exquisiteness that I never appreciated, and therefore never will.

Oh well!

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Fri 16th Dec '05 3:20PM
838 Posts
It's soon, it's soon, it's very very soon. Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat!

Okay folks, so now we've established that the Christmas lunch is the best thing EVER - which is your favourite Christmas song/carol? The Pogues is a strong contender, but there's always the Cliff threat...

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Fri 16th Dec '05 3:31PM
510 Posts
Pogues for me! But also this year I've become rather fond of "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Greg Lake (the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell / and eyes full of tinsel and fire).

And for the record, I don't mind a sprout. In fact, I've been known to eat them even when it's not Christmas.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Fri 16th Dec '05 4:45PM
838 Posts

Allen Key was bold enough to comment:

And for the record, I don't mind a sprout. In fact, I've been known to eat them even when it's not Christmas.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 16th Dec '05 4:51PM
4213 Posts
A christmas gift for you by Phil Spector

THE WHOLE ALBUM IT'S GREAT!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 16th Dec '05 6:11PM
4678 Posts
Yay Sprouts!

Anyone else remember 'Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me' by The Goodies?

Spanners*
Fri 16th Dec '05 7:07PM
4597 Posts

And there was me thinking you were such a nice, normal lass. Deceived by a sprout-lover - that's the very worst kind of betrayal!

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea all the way. Top festive tune
Also 'All I Want For Christmas is You' by Mariah Carey - Sure, she's a mental diva but she knows how to capture the festive vibe.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 17th Dec '05 4:09AM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
So I can presume there's a level of exquisiteness [to christmas dinner] that I never appreciated, and therefore never will.

Oh well!

Actually, I've been thinking about this recently, and I've been wondering (and please don't shout at me for this) but maybe, just maybe, the whole appeal of the christmas meal is that it's the christmas meal rather than a nice meal? I mean I don't know about anyone else, but I only ever have a turkey roast on xmas day. Now that's great and all, but I wonder if maybe the reason I look forwar to the turkey roast is because it's such a chirstmasssy thing to do? I mean I even enjoy proper turkey sandwiches (with cranberry sauce and stuffing) because I only ever have them late at night on xmas day?

Doughnut
What am I doing here? And where are my shoes?
Sun 18th Dec '05 12:31AM
45 Posts
Sprouts are a delicious and much misunderstood vegetable, especially when still slightly crunchy and not boiled to buggery.

White Christmas is still one of my favorite Christmasy tunes.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 18th Dec '05 12:30PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

Actually, I've been thinking about this recently, and I've been wondering (and please don't shout at me for this) but maybe, just maybe, the whole appeal of the christmas meal is that it's the christmas meal rather than a nice meal? I mean I don't know about anyone else, but I only ever have a turkey roast on xmas day. Now that's great and all, but I wonder if maybe the reason I look forwar to the turkey roast is because it's such a chirstmasssy thing to do? I mean I even enjoy proper turkey sandwiches (with cranberry sauce and stuffing) because I only ever have them late at night on xmas day?

I think this is true. It's the same way that Christmas is just another day really, but it's what we invest in it that makes it special. It's an event because we allow it to be, because let's face it, if it wasn't for Christmas dinner we'd surely have nominated another occasion to be the 'best meal of the year'.

That said, it is a particularly delicious combination of flavours which is only tasted on that one particular day; even if it wasn't Xmas dinner it would still be a meal to look forward to!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 18th Dec '05 12:58PM
2522 Posts

Deceived by a sprout-lover - that's the very worst kind of betrayal!

be careful you don't incur the wrath of robert rankin, my good man!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Sun 18th Dec '05 2:19PM
1558 Posts

Spike Milligan bold enough to comment:

I'm walking backwards for Christmas,
Across the Irish Sea,
It's the only thing for me.
I've tried walking sideways,
And walking to the front,
But people just look at me,
And say it's a publicity stunt.

To prove that I love you.

Allen Key
Mon 19th Dec '05 12:38PM
510 Posts

And there was me thinking you were such a nice, normal lass. Deceived by a sprout-lover - that's the very worst kind of betrayal!

I am! I'm lovely and I've got papers to prove it!

Don't look on it as a betrayal but as an act of kindness - see, with our sprout consumption, stalwart folk such as Kelly, Doughnut and myself are depleting the national supply of sprouts, thereby reducing the likelihood of sprout contact for the sprout-intolerant. Really, we're doing you all a favour.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 19th Dec '05 1:03PM
212 Posts
Apparently when I was a very small child I used to adore sprouts, but this phase passed as I grew up into a medium sized child and developed more rational views on life. Of course, if the sprout adoration phase occurred in the pre-language Mildred (I have no memory of it at all so who knows), it may have been that my parents misinterpreted my violent response to sprouts as wild enthusiasm, instead of horror, and kept on feeding them to me as I perched there trapped in my highchair, saying all the while 'ooh, doesn't she love sprouts! Gosh, it's quite a predilection of this child of ours!' (or words to that effect). My parents did have an allotment when I was a small child, so it may just have been that I was born in order to provide them with a handy sprout disposal unit for all their surplus sprouts (hence my father's nickname for me: 'hollow legs') I now have a much more ambivalent relationship with sprouts, whereby I will sometimes eat them if they do not too much resemble sour soggy green eyeballs, but more often than not I will try to put them on to somebody else's plate. I do believe that sprouts probably have the power to be redeemed, however, if they are stir-fried - but I have never yet attempted to redeem them in this manner.

I can also confirm that Allen Key is both Nice and Normal and not prone to betraying people with sprouts - although of course you never know what lurks under the surface!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 19th Dec '05 1:11PM
212 Posts
By the way, does anyone have any thoughts on what is good to eat on christmas day if you are a vegetarian, in lieu of turkey? Loo Rahhh and I have been tasked by our Mother (yes, the same woman who force fed the infant Mildred sprouts) to come up with suggestions for our Christmas day meal and I can't think of anything.
Last year we had goat's cheese (sorry, Kelly) and vine tomato tart, and very nice it was too - but I can't think what to suggest this year and I don't really want to give in to quorn fillets (you know how it is) so any culinary inspiration would be very helpful

Allen Key
Mon 19th Dec '05 5:00PM
510 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:
I do believe that sprouts probably have the power to be redeemed, however, if they are stir-fried - but I have never yet attempted to redeem them in this manner.

Yes indeed! Boil or steam them till they're just tender, heat up some olive oil in a frying pan with a crushed clove of garlic and fry them for a few minutes. (For those of you not of the vegetarian persuasion, you could also fry up some chopped bacon first, then bung in the sprouts.)

Malcolm*
Mon 19th Dec '05 5:35PM
1673 Posts

Yes indeed! Boil or steam them till they're just tender, heat up some olive oil in a frying pan with a crushed clove of garlic and fry them for a few minutes. (For those of you not of the vegetarian persuasion, you could also fry up some chopped bacon first, then bung in the sprouts.)

Oh, don't be so ridiculous.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 19th Dec '05 6:54PM
4678 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:
By the way, does anyone have any thoughts on what is good to eat on christmas day if you are a vegetarian, in lieu of turkey? Loo Rahhh and I have been tasked by our Mother (yes, the same woman who force fed the infant Mildred sprouts) to come up with suggestions for our Christmas day meal and I can't think of anything.
Last year we had goat's cheese (sorry, Kelly) and vine tomato tart, and very nice it was too - but I can't think what to suggest this year and I don't really want to give in to quorn fillets (you know how it is) so any culinary inspiration would be very helpful

Malcolm's had all sorts of amazing meals over the years. One that springs to mind was a nut-roast thing made with lots of cashews, in filo pastry, and baked with cream cheese somehow. I'm sure he can furnish you the details, but as a meat-eater I can assure you it was delicious even by omnivorous standards

Spanners*
Wed 21st Dec '05 11:56PM
4597 Posts
My favourite veggie treat is refried beans, nachos and cheese.
I was always aware that this particular dish exerted an almighty power over those who perchanced to sample its delights however I have only recently become aware that it is the stuff of angels and goblins alike

The Pharaoh
Mario... Kart?
Thu 22nd Dec '05 10:56AM
41 Posts
A good nut roast mix is an excellent thing. (if you need a recipe I'll send one) Pile it into peppers, or onto big flat mushrooms, or into precooked pastry cases and bake for a bit then just before serving melt some mozzarella on the top. Then stop the carnivores from eating it!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 9 of 12 - <<First  ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy