Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The longest thread in the world... ever! - 301 to 330
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 11 of 12 - <<First  ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Mon 20th Feb '06 10:14AM
838 Posts
we...

Clara
Mon 20th Feb '06 10:16AM
838 Posts
should...

Clara
Mon 20th Feb '06 10:18AM
838 Posts
formulate a plan!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 20th Feb '06 11:34AM
2708 Posts
We could try posting lots? Fall back to a good old British favourite and discuss how absolutely freezing it actually is right now...

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 20th Feb '06 12:47PM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

General was bold enough to comment:

"As there has never been a perfect circle has there ever been a circle?"

There's been a gazillion perfect circles, in geometry and other abstract calculations. It's only when you try to actually draw one you run into difficulties, but that's a problem for the technicians

OK new idea - Quoting long past topics from this very thread. I'm pretty sure if you could blow a bubble in a zero-gravity vacuum it would form a perfect sphere and hence a side view would be a perfect circle.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 20th Feb '06 1:06PM
2708 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

I'm pretty sure if you could blow a bubble in a zero-gravity vacuum it would form a perfect sphere and hence a side view would be a perfect circle.

Hmmm... You'd need pure water (just H2O, nothing else) to makes sure that the film was even all the way around. But apart from that then yes, I guess that would work!

An easier way to do it would be just to draw a perfect circle using topography - in that scenario there's no difference between a perfect and an imperfect circle. So you can draw areally bad one and call it a perfect circle!

I love Maths

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 20th Feb '06 8:29PM
4213 Posts

OK new idea - Quoting long past topics from this very thread. I'm pretty sure if you could blow a bubble in a zero-gravity vacuum it would form a perfect sphere and hence a side view would be a perfect circle.

You can't have a bubble in a vacuum.
Air pressure inside + no airpressure outside = bubble go bang.

Even if you could vibration/brownian motion due to heat etc would throw it out and if you did it at absolute zero you can't have liquids or gasses or in fact any kind of movement.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 21st Feb '06 1:48PM
2708 Posts

I've always thought that the egg being a chickens egg was implicit in the question.

I've been thinking about that chicken or egg thing lately. In my humble opinion the egg came before the chicken since there is an evolutionary step betwixt chicken and egg but not betwixt egg and chicken. Hence at some point in the distant past a creature that wasn't quite a chicken must have laid an egg that became a chicken.

Spanners was also bold enough to comment:
This is very similar to the Buddhist reasoning about how nothing exists inherently. For example you got a flower and take of a petal, is it still a flower? Keep taking off petals and at some point you decide it stops being a flower. Where has the flower gone and did it ever exist from its own side?

If the fact that it's a chicken's egg is inherent in the question, then what's the difference between an egg and a chicken's egg? Is it just that a chicken's egg is laid by a chicken? And does that still make it a valid egg? But if the non-chicken couldn't lay a chicken's egg, only a chicken could, wouldn't a chicken have to hatch from a non-chicken egg?

And could we call either the non-chicken a chicken or the non-chicken's egg a chicken's egg?

Or if the difference between the two eggs is that a non-chicken hatches from a non-chicken's egg and a chicken hatched from a chicken's egg, then we wouldn't actually be able to define the egg as a chicken or non-chicken egg until after it hatched. So the birth of a chicken would happen first, then the definition of the egg would happen second, then the egg would retro-actively become a chicken's egg and come first.

Is it just my brain that's hurting?

Spanners*
Fri 24th Feb '06 4:06PM
4597 Posts
Yeah I'd agree with that. The egg category is defined by what comes out of it, not what lays it.

The chicken and the egg are lying in bed looking a little flushed. The chicken says 'So now we know, innit'.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 2nd Mar '06 1:49PM
2708 Posts

Here is a picture of fonzie to spur you on!

Hey, it worked last time!

Although is it just me, or he does have a slight (why are you taking a photo of me?) look to his face?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 24th May '06 3:41PM
2708 Posts
I'm starting to suspect that the name of this thread might just need to be changed...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 25th May '06 12:35AM
4213 Posts
Why suspect ye this?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 25th May '06 9:03AM
2708 Posts
Well, because it's not, and it doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon...

Ho-hum, at least it's not raining

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 4th Oct '06 11:22AM
4213 Posts
I notice people have been taking about this thead and it's need or otherwise to be bigger than game of life.

So my question is this: should this thread be bolstered because of its name or should we let nature take its course?

Also how big was game of life in the end?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 4th Oct '06 11:42AM
2708 Posts
Well the Game of life was 344 posts, and after this post this thread will be 315, so really we'd only need another 30 posts to beat it.

As for whether this thread should be bolstered - I guess really this is a much larger question. I mean obviously this is a very historical thread since it was once the longest thread on the forum. Now technically it is not. However that potential still exists within the thread.

I guess you could almost compare it to what would happen if someone discovered a mating pair of dodos. Obviously the dodos died out for a reason, so maybe the fact that they can't exist in the modern world would justify the discoverers having a nice Dodo steak.

However it could also suggest that they managed to survive for a reason as well and maybe they should be helped and nurtured so that they can flourish again.

So the question is should change be embraced as good or should it be rejected if it has a major impact on the world?

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Wed 4th Oct '06 11:43AM
811 Posts

So my question is this: should this thread be bolstered because of its name or should we let nature take its course?

Also how big was game of life in the end?

I don't know about the former, but I haven't had the opportunity to post to this thread yet. I thought that I should.

As for the size of the game of life, I have no idea. I wasn't here. No really, I wasn't. Jim did it... I was dead at the time.

Agentgonzo
Wed 4th Oct '06 11:49AM
811 Posts

Amanshu was ginger enough to comment:
Obviously the dodos died out for a reason...

I always thought that the reason that the dodos died out was that those pesky humans landed on the island and (amongst other things) trampled all the nests and eggs (by mistake) and then some of them. Apparently this may not be the case, as wikipedia (OK, spare me the 'not all things you read on the internet are true - and that goes for wikipedia too' rant) states that a natural event may have already reduced their numbers to below sustainable levels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo

You learn something new every day.

Also, a possibly related fact is that there are still samples of smallpox stored in secure labs around the world as people didn't want it to be the first organism to be completely irradicated deliberately by humans. A notion that I think is quite quaint

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 4th Oct '06 11:56AM
4213 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Well the Game of life was 344 posts, and after this post this thread will be 315, so really we'd only need another 30 posts to beat it.

However it could also suggest that they managed to survive for a reason as well and maybe they should be helped and nurtured so that they can flourish again.

So the question is should change be embraced as good or should it be rejected if it has a major impact on the world?

Wow only 30 extra posts required!
That is very do-able us hardcore forumeers can post 30 times before brekfast!

I'm all for change and new things that's possibly because I'm a project manager so my job is all about change. Embrace the change but fear the scope creep!

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Wed 4th Oct '06 12:28PM
215 Posts
Jimi Hendrix.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 4th Oct '06 2:13PM
2708 Posts
Elvis Costello

Agentgonzo
Wed 4th Oct '06 2:34PM
811 Posts
bamber gascoigne.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Wed 4th Oct '06 2:37PM
Paul Gascoigne

Spanners*
Wed 4th Oct '06 2:40PM
4597 Posts
The Hoff

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 4th Oct '06 3:08PM
2708 Posts
The Rock

Agentgonzo
Wed 4th Oct '06 3:24PM
811 Posts
Fraggle Rock

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 4th Oct '06 3:25PM
2522 Posts
blackpool rock

Agentgonzo
Wed 4th Oct '06 3:42PM
811 Posts
Blackfriars

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Wed 4th Oct '06 4:15PM
215 Posts
deep fat fryers

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 4th Oct '06 5:57PM
4678 Posts
Friar Tuck

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 4th Oct '06 6:44PM
2522 Posts
and a paaaaaartidge in a peeeeaaaar tree!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 11 of 12 - <<First  ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy