Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
TDDO Forum Meet - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 6 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:00PM
4597 Posts
'Lo All

So us admin folk have been a-talking and, since it's looking like Beef-fest will be a little low on the forummers this year (although me and General will be representing for da homies) we thought that it might be about time to think about the first ever 'TDDO Forum Meet'!
Basically in a coupla months time we all descent on a spot for a coupla days and finally put some faces to some handles.

Who's with us?

The cheese is worth the squeeze.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:04PM
838 Posts
I am!!! Sounds fun.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:05PM
1558 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. I vote there should be at least a little beer at some point, as well as donkey rides and tasteful Cilla Black impressions.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:05PM
4678 Posts
I'll be there!

I was thinking of some central sort of location, like Alton Towers for rollercoasters, or Birmingham for a handy man-on-the-spot to organise things. Dreyton Manor's also been suggested. Where can everyone get to?

If there's enough interest in a weekend thing, we could maybe secure a discount rate for a B&B for bulk booking, especially off-season and well in advance...

Spanners*
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:09PM
4597 Posts
Well, Birmingham benefits from being central, being big and having extremely good transport, also I can make arrangements for randomness. However I'm good to travel so let's try and get a consensus.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:33PM
758 Posts
Yay! Meeting people!

That's all I've got to say about that.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 20th Jul '05 5:42PM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Well, Birmingham benefits from being central, being big and having extremely good transport, also I can make arrangements for randomness. However I'm good to travel so let's try and get a consensus.

Are there some decent attractions / days out to go and do?

Spanners*
Wed 20th Jul '05 6:03PM
4597 Posts
Loads of stuff in town - pubs, bars, sea life centre, big wheel, pubs etc. Also lots of lovely hills not too far out and we can get to Alton towers of drayton manor in an hour or so.
Can only get 5 in my car though, might need backup

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 20th Jul '05 6:27PM
4213 Posts
London is best that's what I say (As I think the only London based forumer)

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Wed 20th Jul '05 10:12PM
843 Posts
I'd be good for a meet, a spot of travel never did anyone any harm.

Clara
Thu 21st Jul '05 8:28AM
838 Posts
I love Alton Towers!!! The only time I went to Drayton Manor it rained... A lot... Bit miserable.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 21st Jul '05 8:47AM
2708 Posts
I don't know, you go away for afternoon to, like, do stuff, and you come back to find a thread like this! Sounds like a cool idea though, I'm well up for it

Spanners*
Thu 21st Jul '05 10:55AM
4597 Posts
Bonus! The next question is when? Probably need to be a coupla months time at least. When's good for people?

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Thu 21st Jul '05 11:56AM
510 Posts
Oooh, fun! Count me in! After next month I'm not busy, so whenever really

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 21st Jul '05 11:59AM
2708 Posts
Yeah, to be honest I'm thinking it's going to be a case of picking a date and seeing who's actually free then. If we try and work it out any other way we'll just be flailing around.

So I say the brummy picks the day so they've got the most organisational control...!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 21st Jul '05 2:02PM
1673 Posts
Hooray! Yes! Hooray! Yes! Yes yes hooray! Let me come!

Just a thought about locations, though - it'd be quite nice to have it in some kind of crazy holiday location (like Scarborough, Blackpool etc... or, dare I say it, York) so that there are crazy activities a-plenty available. Plus the opportunity for photos of people in boats or castles. It'd be nice if it was generally an entertaining day out, over & above the fact that we'd all be meeting daddydotorgers. Does that make sense?

Also... whatever venue we choose, what we should do is organise an exact specific location and time to meet (or maybe several throughout the day). Preferably somewhere where there won't necessarily be hundreds of other people standing in the way. Then, not bring anything identifying at all - we'd just have to recognise each other by the fact that we're standing there.

Jolly japes all round.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Thu 21st Jul '05 2:38PM
758 Posts
Or we could all wear or bring something that reminds us of the forums, but nothing obvious (TDDO, the full words, or anything baring our forum names banned perhaps), and see if we can tell who forum people are on that basis.

Malley
Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9
Thu 21st Jul '05 3:01PM
55 Posts
As far as a venue goes, could we pick a place with a strange name. I quite like Leatherhead, although Surrey is miles out of the way. I live in a place called Idle? Near Bradford. It has a B&B and various pubs. How about Upper Slaughter? Or even dare I say...Giggleswick? Do we have some mathematical genius who could plot the point that is equidistant between all daddydotorgers home towns, and then meet there - even if it is a field with curious and baffled cattle.

I'm up for it anyway.

P.S. I've never heard/used the phrase 'baffled cattle' before. Could we call the meeting the baffled cattle day?

http://www.the-echo.co.uk

For the best band in Leeds, honest.

Roooaaaaarrr!!!

Malcolm*
Thu 21st Jul '05 3:07PM
1673 Posts
BaffleCattleFest 2005, here we come!

Or maybe it should be abbreviated to Bafcatfest 05 - what do you think?

Allen Key
Thu 21st Jul '05 3:17PM
510 Posts

I was bold enough to comment:

Oooh, fun! Count me in! After next month I'm not busy, so whenever really

(oops, forgot, except for 24th & 25th September)

Clara
Thu 21st Jul '05 3:46PM
838 Posts
How about Wetwang - funny name and pilgrimage in honour of Dickie Whiteley!!!

I like the idea of just turning up and trying to work out who are daddy.orgers... Could lead us into all kinds of scrapes.

Bring on the baffled cattle!!!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 21st Jul '05 5:33PM
2708 Posts
Personally my votes for going to Middle Wammop - although all that's there is the air museum and being in Hampshire it's probably not that useful for those up north...

I've got a bad feeling that just turning up won't work too well - I'm pretty sure we can all trace our connections to family /Demian/Malcolm/Spanners too easily... but maybe I'm just pooping on the party.

BatCatFest - I like it! Although that almost dictates we have it on the Halloween weekend, and I'm currently assuming I'm busy on that weekend...?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 21st Jul '05 5:59PM
4678 Posts
I think Malcolm's right, there should definitely be attractions / things to do apart from just meet up and go drinking. Sealife centre sounds good, as does Blackpool and Alton Towers. I did a couple of meet-ups with strange internet folks in Blackpool, and we had awesome fun (?30 for a bracelet letting you on all the rides all day). It's a bit tacky, but hey, it's built for fun

Swoop and me and a couple of the somethingawful crew. This ride wasn't very exciting.

Malcolm*
Thu 21st Jul '05 6:18PM
1673 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

BatCatFest - I like it! Although that almost dictates we have it on the Halloween weekend...

No, you silly boy - BafCatFest!

Spanners*
Fri 22nd Jul '05 12:10AM
4597 Posts
OK anyone who's provisionally up for it, let us know where you currently residing and we can then take the location discussion form there. I know so far:
Me and Oooood - Brum
General - London
Dregan and Sloanio - Belfast
Demian, Swoop, The Guv, Diziet - Manchester
Malcolm and Kelly - York
BrightonBabe (and I'm asuming FitOxfordLad - welcome back!) - Oxford

(LangeNU - Australia and Locodanny - LA. You're more than welcome to stay at my place for a week or 2 fellas!)

So far we're leaning towards a northern spot, any southern jessies wanna swing the average?

Clara
Fri 22nd Jul '05 8:19AM
838 Posts
I'm no Southern Jessie!!! I live in York too.

Allen Key
Fri 22nd Jul '05 8:35AM
510 Posts
And I'm also a Yorkie.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 22nd Jul '05 8:45AM
2708 Posts
I'm a Southampton/Portsmouthite, but I prefer to think of myself as an ex-Yorkite...

But really I'm Scottish - so your all Southern Jessies to me! You lightweights you!

Oh and for the record, in my last post it was supposed to be Middle Wallop, not middle wammop... Stupid rassin-frassin typos...

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Fri 22nd Jul '05 10:17AM
894 Posts
Sounds good to me as for when and where im free from when i get back but prefably a weekend as have to do the whole lecture thing

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Fri 22nd Jul '05 10:25AM
242 Posts
Weekend would prob be easier for all us working types as well, but whatever really. I like the idea of everyone booking into a random B&B and just taking it over.
TDDO HQ.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 6 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy