By bye hackers
Suggestion for the master of all things daddy - 1 to 27
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 25th Jul '05 9:11AM
2708 Posts
Hey!

I'm loving the new page layout - much crisper and cleaner. But I was thinking, because it's on the right hand side on threads it's moveing the title of the thread over, making it so that it's off centre. Would it be better to move it to hte left hand side next to the thread type tag so that the title became centred again? Might make things look a little bit nicer.

It's only a minor suggestion, but just a thought!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 25th Jul '05 9:54AM
4597 Posts
Like that?
It still needs some work anyhew. Ultimately want to get it working like the SA page list:

Got various bits and pieces in the pipeline for optimisation for larger boards and higher postage. Not vital yet but it's the sort of thing to address earlier rather than later.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 25th Jul '05 11:15AM
2708 Posts
Exactly! You are a true genius!

Good luck with the optimisation - the boards probably need it, and you're right, sooner is better than later

You seem to have kicked into overdrive lately with lots of tweaks, fixes and improvements. Maybe I just take the time to say thank you, not only for all the hard work you do, but also for providing the forums in the first place?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 25th Jul '05 1:51PM
2708 Posts
Just scanned through the longest thread in the world ever, and I noticed that the post count has gone a little bit screwy on the earlier pages. Page 1 contains posts 60 to 30, page two contains posts 60 to 60, and only page three is correct with posts 60 to 73...

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 25th Jul '05 2:26PM
1673 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Maybe I just take the time to say thank you, not only for all the hard work you do, but also for providing the forums in the first place?

I don't think you're the first to say it, Mansh, but it's a sentiment well worth revisiting in any case. (Especially in these hard times of revenue issues.) Even just a look at the "TDDO Forum Meet" thread gives an indication of the forum's success - a community well and truly established. Our congratulations to you!

Spanners*
Mon 25th Jul '05 3:02PM
4597 Posts

Just scanned through the longest thread in the world ever, and I noticed that the post count has gone a little bit screwy on the earlier pages. Page 1 contains posts 60 to 30, page two contains posts 60 to 60, and only page three is correct with posts 60 to 73...

Oooh you're very very right. Sorted now.

And cheers guys, this place has brought me a lot of happiness over the last coupla years and I'm really glad you all feel at home here too. Virtual communities rule!

Also

Malcolm*
Mon 25th Jul '05 3:26PM
1673 Posts

Also

Curses! Can't believe I ruined this by putting on another post before noticing! We'll have to try & sort out some advance warning before 22222. Actually, 12345 must be coming up reasonably soon...

Spanners*
Tue 26th Jul '05 11:02PM
4597 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Ultimately want to get it working like the SA page list:

Have that!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 27th Jul '05 9:37AM
2708 Posts

Have that!

Get in!

Malcolm*
Wed 27th Jul '05 1:57PM
1673 Posts
Three cheers for the Spannificus!

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 27th Jul '05 5:58PM
4213 Posts
Bo!

Well done dude

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 29th Jul '05 3:22PM
2708 Posts
Although now I look at it...

Is it just me or is it all a little messed up? I'm tempted to say the next and previous buttons should be up where the page numbers are and the page numbers should be down where the next and previous buttons are...? At the bottom of the post as well...

In fact, thinking about it, I've never really understood why we have bot hthe bottom and the last post buttons - it seems like a bit of a redundancy? So why not get rid of one of them so you could still have the next and previous buttons on either side of the thread title. That way they'd have a more "moving through the threads" feel to them?

Then the title would be all central again, and the page stuff could go down next to the "mail a link" link...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 29th Jul '05 3:23PM
2708 Posts
And there appears to be a problem with Anonymous posting - it can't find a resync_board function or something - but it does seem to make your post...

Spanners*
Fri 29th Jul '05 4:39PM
4597 Posts

In fact, thinking about it, I've never really understood why we have bot hthe bottom and the last post buttons - it seems like a bit of a redundancy? So why not get rid of one of them so you could still have the next and previous buttons on either side of the thread title. That way they'd have a more "moving through the threads" feel to them?

You never use them? The 'bottom' button saves you the hassle of scrolling to the bottom of each page and the 'last post' button gets you from wherever you are to the last page and last post. I use them all the time!

I'm happy to think about a rearrange. What's anyone else's view?

Fixed the anonymous posting problem - well spotted!

Spanners*
Sat 30th Jul '05 3:51PM
4597 Posts
OK, how's that?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 31st Jul '05 2:32PM
4213 Posts
I like the last post and bottom buttons.
I use them both now and again.

Spanners*
Sun 31st Jul '05 5:19PM
4597 Posts
Well I though this was a compromise. We've got the previous and next buttons in better places and shifted the page listings down so that the title is central. Also the page listings son't appear if there is only 1 page.
Still got the 'bottom' button but not the 'last post'.

People happy?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 1st Aug '05 9:26AM
2708 Posts

People happy?

Any chance we could get the next and previous buttons added to the bottom again?

I'm never happy am I?

You never use them? The 'bottom' button saves you the hassle of scrolling to the bottom of each page and the 'last post' button gets you from wherever you are to the last page and last post. I use them all the time!

I know what they do, I just... I don't know, I tend to find myself scrolling down instead. It's probably just me though...!

Spanners*
Mon 1st Aug '05 3:54PM
4597 Posts

Any chance we could get the next and previous buttons added to the bottom again?

Damn?

I'm never happy am I?

No buddy, no you're not

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 1st Aug '05 3:57PM
2708 Posts
Well, it turns out we're both wrong!

Thank you!

Malcolm*
Mon 1st Aug '05 4:55PM
1673 Posts
Personally I'm always happy with a website that contains a blue rectangle with just the word "Bottom" on it.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 4th Aug '05 8:56AM
2708 Posts
Hey, there seems to be a problem with the next button at the bottom of the page. If you open any multi-page thread and go to any page other than the last one (for instance page 2 in the longest thread in the world... ever) you'll see the next button at the bottom of the page doesn't appear. Instead there appears to be the total of the number of posts upto the end of that page (i.e. 30 on page 1, 60 on page 2, ... 1680 on page 56, ... etc.)

Spanners*
Thu 4th Aug '05 10:58AM
4597 Posts
Ah yer quite right buddy. Trouble was I had 2 different variables with the same name. So, in fact I didn't have 2 variables, I only had one. Which was the cusp of the problem. Sorted anyhew.

Malcolm*
Thu 4th Aug '05 11:27AM
1673 Posts

Ah yer quite right buddy. Trouble was I had 2 different variables with the same name. So, in fact I didn't have 2 variables, I only had one. Which was the cusp of the problem. Sorted anyhew.

"Tonight is the night when two become one...."

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sun 4th Sep '05 12:29PM
2708 Posts
And for my next suggestion...

The bottom button only works hen the page has full loaded, otherwise it'll interrupt the loading of that page and then be unable to find the last post. Any chance of getting it greyed out until the page has fully loaded? You know like the "loading..." thingy that used (and still is?) to be on the front page?

Alos, could you change the top button so it goes to the actual top of the page? I use it to get at the "home" button when I've finished with a board, so I'd like to be able to see the home button!

Spanners*
Sun 4th Sep '05 12:32PM
4597 Posts
Both good suggestions, will have a play.

Spanners*
Tue 6th Sep '05 5:20PM
4597 Posts
Oh yeah, it be done. Oh yeah.
Not greyed the 'bottom' button though, what it now does (for the technical few of you out there) is reloads the whole page with the bottom flag set so it will take an extra coupla secs but won't stall.

Edit: actually that's shite. I'll have another think

Edit Edit: That's a whole lot better. You see I was trying to be clever when I really should have just done it exactly the way amanshu said. He's like an ideas factory working around the clock pumping out new tweaks to fight off my boredom
The bottom button will remain grey and not working until the page has loaded fully. This uses a chunk of javascript so let me know if there are any browser issues.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy