Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Mornington Crescent - 1 to 30
Return To Games 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Sep '05 11:19AM
2708 Posts
There cannot be anyone in the civilised world who does not already know the basic rules of Mornington Crescent, so I shall not insult you by re-iterating them here. Suffice to say, if you have temporarily forgotten them, or if you come from, say, the uncivilised world, such as, for example, France, you will certainly pick them up as you go along. Beginners will discover that Mornington Crescent is a little like golf, a little like shove-ha'penny, quite a lot like watching your laundry in the tumble-drier, and most closely resembles feeling around in the dark for a pocketful of loose change dropped in an unlit, damp alleyway on a Saturday night after a few beers. That is to say: frustrating, hard on the right forefinger, disorienting, even more disorienting, sheer hell on the right forefinger, and frustrating... probably in that order.

We'll start off simple, so there'll be no squibs, no flushes, and absolutely no dunders.

We'll play the group rules, so anyone can jump in whenever, and none of this annoying taking turns malarky. I will be the referee and quizmaster, so will only be present to solve disputes. If the game is proceeding a pace and that the situation merits it, I may add in some of the more advanced rules as we go on.

My decision will be final in all matters of the game.

For the beginners, you might find this link useful:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/colourmap.pdf

To start you off:

Amersham

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Tue 27th Sep '05 3:22PM
510 Posts
Classic opener there, Amanshu.

Hmmm... Northwick Park

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 27th Sep '05 4:23PM
1673 Posts
I see Allen Key's adopting the 1989 Shropshire Two-Step approach. Intriguing, given the circumstances. I reckon...

Aldgate East.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 27th Sep '05 5:08PM
4678 Posts
I take it we're using the Marquis De Blanchford Ruleset? It's usually the best way to avoid cross-pollenation, especially with 'modern' manouvres like Allen's Two-Step.

Anyway, triple-shunt to Clapham South.

Edit: Here's a piece of forumeer internet history: Me at the tender age of 18 playing Mornington Cresent (note the lack of 'c' - those 'c' people were mere beginners) in May 1994 via usenet, as archived by Google Groups. This was before the web as we know it was up and running, so we had to make do with text terminals. Eee, when I were a lad...

http://tinyurl.com/acd8b

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Sep '05 5:30PM
2708 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

I take it we're using the Marquis De Blanchford Ruleset? It's usually the best way to avoid cross-pollenation, especially with 'modern' manouvres like Allen's Two-Step.

Yes, obviously I want to avoid any chance of Allen's Two-Step. It would be nice to keep this game simple for now so that if there are any new players around they won't spend too much time concentrating on the more confusing rules that come with practice...

Anyway, triple-shunt to Clapham South.

Classic move there Demian! I'm afraid I'm going to have to restrict shunts to singles from now on though. As I'm sure you noticed I'm trying to limit the chances of a petra circle forming. This is however such a classic move that I'm willing to let it in, just for the sheer fun of it!

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 27th Sep '05 6:28PM
2522 Posts
what the guff are you all on about?

regards

mr uncivilised
uncivilised street
a bin
uncivilisation
the earth
the universe

ps - is this the same as Rillington Place? if it is, then the answer is richard attenborough in the hallway with the necktie.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 27th Sep '05 9:18PM
4678 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

The basic rules are quite simple but the nuances that have evolved over the game's history can lead to some quite complex strategies. You might want to start with 'Mornington Cresent: A Beginners Guide to Kensington' (Rodney Flange, 1982) and go clockwise from there.

Thanks to Amanshu for allowing my triple to stand, it was that or perform a straddle via Wapping and that always leaves the game too open-ended for my liking.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Tue 27th Sep '05 11:02PM

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

We're playing Mornington Crescent! (and I'm typing on a french keyboard, which is very weird... all the keys are in the wrong place!) It's pretty simple to start with, but the best way to get started is just to play and we'll let you know if you make a mistake. Just name a London Underground Tube Station!

Amanshu

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 27th Sep '05 11:59PM
2522 Posts
stepney green

Allen Key
Wed 28th Sep '05 8:54AM
510 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

You might want to start with 'Mornington Cresent: A Beginners Guide to Kensington' (Rodney Flange, 1982) and go clockwise from there.

But of course, once you've got hold of the basics, N F Stovold's Mornington Crescent: Rules and Origins is the definitive work on the subject.

Stepney Green, you say? Not bad for a beginner.

Blackfriars.

Malcolm*
Wed 28th Sep '05 9:59AM
1673 Posts
Thank goodness I got here in time!

I go away for a few hours and the game starts spiralling Eppingwise towards a south-circular thromp of spectacular proportions!

Not to worry, though: three jumps round the outside, and back for tea at Knightsbridge.

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 28th Sep '05 10:23AM
4597 Posts
Haha, fatal mistake Mr Malcolm. Knightsbridge has left you open to the reverse Houndslow manoevre.

Allen Key
Wed 28th Sep '05 10:25AM
510 Posts
Schoolboy blunder, I'm afraid!

Whoever's next would probably do well to bear in mind Crabbit's Law at this point.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 28th Sep '05 11:21AM
2708 Posts
Just to clarify, were you actually playing the reverse Hounslow maneouver Spanners? And if so, are you going with the East, West or Central variety?

I've got to admit, it is quite a daring move. To be honest I'd be tempted to try using a straight diagonal to escape and head up towards Brent Cross, but then I've never been a flamboyant player.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 28th Sep '05 11:31AM
758 Posts
Maida Vale - I believe that's allowed under the 1886 Ammendment?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 28th Sep '05 11:35AM
2708 Posts
Yes, of course - and congratulations on a superb move there! To be honest I thought we were going to be stuck waiting for Spanner's reply, but you've neatly circumvented the need!

Allen Key
Wed 28th Sep '05 11:51AM
510 Posts
Excellent move! Technical question, Ref: Kelly's obviously left herself free to trump Baker Street here - now, I know trumping and shunting aren't generally allowed withing three moves of each other, but does that still apply when the triple-shunt embargo's in place? I'm just thinking that the Circle Line might cause a few problems otherwise...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 28th Sep '05 12:27PM
2708 Posts
That's a fair question, and I can see your point.

That being said, I can't think of any opportunity to play a shunt and a trump within two moves of each other which wouldn't involve a dunder of some kind, unless someone can prove me wrong?

So that being the case, I think we'll have to stick to no shunts or trumps within two turns of each other, and you'll just have to do your best with the Circle Line problem.

My advice would be head to Barbican so you can use the up escalator rule to make the whole question moot, but there's a lot to be said for employing a tramp to speed things up a little.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 28th Sep '05 12:58PM
838 Posts

My brain has been permanently befuddled by this.

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 28th Sep '05 1:23PM
2522 Posts
three tiered whiffle to goodge street.

actually, i think i may have bypassed the 1897 preta nocturne rule.

is that allowed?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 28th Sep '05 1:51PM
2708 Posts
Ah! You found a copy of Stovolds then? Yes, a three-tiered whiffle to Goodge Street is allowed!

The 1987 preta-nocturne rule doesn't apply under the Marquis de Blanchford ruleset, so you won't have to worry about that.

Allen Key
Wed 28th Sep '05 2:04PM
510 Posts
Right. This is getting tricky now. Diziet's Goodge Street's hampering passage to Barbican, so I'm going to have to play Tottenham Court Road, but I'm not really happy about it.

Malcolm*
Wed 28th Sep '05 3:47PM
1673 Posts

Allen Key was bold enough to comment:

...I'm going to have to play Tottenham Court Road, but I'm not really happy about it.

...which leaves me free to execute a quadruple half-turn Oystercard drop-switch directly into Embankment - and thereby rendering the Cockfosters Escapade inadmissible for the rest of the game!

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 28th Sep '05 5:08PM
2522 Posts
dang, thats scuppered my next move.

i did intend to instigate an advanced peripatetic cross-hinkle just below hanger lane.

oh well, suppose i'll have to satisfy myself with a farmer's nosedive into ladbroke grove.

hang on - is the cockfosters escapade still inadmissable if the 'up the escalator' move is implemented?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 28th Sep '05 5:22PM
2708 Posts
I'm afraid so the Cockfosters embargo will hold. I'll need to check, but I think under 1953 set of horseshoe clarifications you'd need to use the down escalator to properly break it...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 28th Sep '05 6:52PM
4678 Posts
Assuming no Cockfoster's escapade and going with the Ladbroke Grove dive, I'm invoking Melland's Outer Recital and cordonning everything West of Osterley (including Heathrow) on the Piccadilly line, and brokering a scooter-hop over to Richmond - update your tilesets accordingly.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 28th Sep '05 7:46PM
4597 Posts

Assuming no Cockfoster's escapade and going with the Ladbroke Grove dive, I'm invoking Melland's Outer Recital and cordonning everything West of Osterley (including Heathrow) on the Piccadilly line, and brokering a scooter-hop over to Richmond - update your tilesets accordingly.

Haha but I can override that using the Shepherds Bush double-twango - Central Line AND Hammersmith and City!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 28th Sep '05 9:18PM
4213 Posts
Playing a twango in the renunculous phase of the game Spanners?
Some would say you were a stop short of East Ham!

I'm going to have to invoke a Zone 2/Zone 4 mixo shuffle via a Red Ken carnet inversion to get to my home stop of Greenford.

From there I'll probably go to the Nasib Fish Bar and get a chicken shashlik.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Thu 29th Sep '05 10:01AM
843 Posts
Greenford, you say?

Finchley Road.

Before you start clamouring for my head, allow me to explain. I'll admit I'm being rather cheeky, but I'm using the Harcourt gambit from the 1994 revision, stated succinctly as 'THE STATIONS ARE ONLY HALF A MILE APART!'

Hence, West Ruislip -> Ruislip -> Finchley Road.

Allen Key
Thu 29th Sep '05 10:18AM
510 Posts
Bugger - I think that's put me in Nid.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Games 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy