By bye hackers
Tell me what you want! - 1 to 30
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 1 of 4 - 1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 18th Oct '05 11:30AM
4597 Posts
Hello

So development on this here world of TheDaddy has kinda stalled lately just 'cos I've (pretty much) run oot of ideas. So here you go, here be the opportunity to suggest whatever you like be it tweak, new feature, new engine or entire new TheDaddy.org site. I've got a few days off work so my time is yours.
The only thing that has been suggested to me lately is Malcolm's idea for subscribing to threads so you get an email when a thread you're subscribed to gets a new post. I'm still trying to figure out a way to do this without it killing the processor but wheels are in motion.

sp

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 18th Oct '05 3:48PM
2708 Posts
How about an RSS feed instead? So you can jump to the ten most recently updated threads or summat?

In fact why not have a quick look board that would only contain the ten/twenty most recent threads? From all the forums you can view? Or would that be manically complicated?

Spanners*
Wed 19th Oct '05 12:21AM
4597 Posts
Ooh I like the quick look board idea much! Another great one from Amanshu, cementing his position as biggest Forum idea-mill.
Also I needs to be doing something about these double-posting issues.
Any more?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 19th Oct '05 12:58PM
4213 Posts
I did have rather an elaborate set of ideas for the mini reviews of everything including:

1. It would be nice to have extra fields for title and score of reviews which auto formatted nicely into the post. (This would probably mean an admin editing all the posts currently on the board, but I'd happily do that)

2. This would mean that it might be possible to sort out some kind of automated process for hiving them off into a little searchable sub site linked off the board which may come in handy to open up the content to browse as the threads get bigger and less wieldy.
This way the last 10 reviews (for example) in each thread would be in the thread and the rest would go to a page where you could search and browse them.

3. It would be great to be able to have a button click "second opinion" for reviews so you could add a second score and optionaly a single line of text. The review could show the origional review score plus the average score of anyone who has commented for an official "what the daddy thinks of this" score.

I'm sure doing all that would equal a stack of work, but it would make a really useful resource for finding cool books and films and stuff for us media hungry forum types (I'm planing to review all the books I read from now on).

Anyone else think this would be cool?

Spanners*
Wed 19th Oct '05 2:00PM
4597 Posts
Corks.
Right, the thing with the Mini-reviews board is that it currently is just a board ike the others. To change it in the way you want would mean that it would have to become a different entity (a board Jim, but not as we know it). So yeah, I like what we're saying here but it would require a fundamental redesign. Lemme have a thinky.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 19th Oct '05 3:11PM
2708 Posts
Firstly as an aside - I agree with General. The longer threads these days are just plain too unwieldy to look through. We really need some kind of proper searchable thingy.

I'm also liking the whole preformatted idea.

In fact generally I agree with General.

On a different note, I was thinking about the quick look board, and it occured to me that you'd have to do something to let people know what kind of board they are on, and what the next/previous post will be.

So firstly I was thinking we might want something in our profiles to allow us to choose which boards we wanted in there.

Secondly I wondered... well, would it be possible to colour code the individual boards? So General Merriment would stay silver, TDDO Gold would become Gold (can you see what I did there?), Watershed would be red I think... TDDO Forums would probably be blue I reckon, which would leave Techy Corner as green... Hmmm... Might want ot swap those last two around.

Anyway, colout coded forums? So the background and the buttons were similar colours?

Spanners*
Wed 19th Oct '05 3:36PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

Secondly I wondered... well, would it be possible to colour code the individual boards? So General Merriment would stay silver, TDDO Gold would become Gold (can you see what I did there?), Watershed would be red I think... TDDO Forums would probably be blue I reckon, which would leave Techy Corner as green... Hmmm... Might want ot swap those last two around.

Anyway, colout coded forums? So the background and the buttons were similar colours?

This I'm bit less convinced by. Early in its development the forum had some pretty darned ropy colour scemes and it's taken a while to find a nice relaxed neutral scheme that people seem happy with. If we suddenly have entire boards of gold and red hitting people it could easily look shite. However I'm a fair guy, if more people are in favour then we can have an experiment.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 19th Oct '05 4:21PM
758 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

This I'm bit less convinced by. Early in its development the forum had some pretty darned ropy colour scemes and it's taken a while to find a nice relaxed neutral scheme that people seem happy with. If we suddenly have entire boards of gold and red hitting people it could easily look shite. However I'm a fair guy, if more people are in favour then we can have an experiment.

I'd agree - I think it looks good at the moment (and not too bright for those of us looking at the forums at work, so not catching the eye of people who think work should be being done). But I like the other ideas.

Spanners*
Wed 19th Oct '05 4:51PM
4597 Posts

In fact why not have a quick look board that would only contain the ten/twenty most recent threads? From all the forums you can view? Or would that be manically complicated?

Soemthing like this?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 19th Oct '05 5:36PM
4213 Posts
Hmm I found that a bit confusing

A board with the most recently updated threads would be better for me than a thread with the newest posts.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 19th Oct '05 5:44PM
2708 Posts
The only way the posts will make sense is if they're in context, so people would have to start quoting lots more just for the first look thread.

I'd agree with General - a board with the latest threads, rather than a thread of the latest posts...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 19th Oct '05 5:46PM
2708 Posts

I wasn't thinking of a major recolour - I agree that the current look and feel is nice and chilled. I was just thinking that it wouldn't take much to change everything to one overall colour per board...

Hmmm... I tell you what, I'll make up some screen shots of what I mean tonight!

Spanners*
Wed 19th Oct '05 7:20PM
4597 Posts

The only way the posts will make sense is if they're in context, so people would have to start quoting lots more just for the first look thread.

That's why there's the link to the threads the posts come from. Also I'll remind you that on the 'make a new post' page you get the rest of the thread shown below.

I'd agree with General - a board with the latest threads, rather than a thread of the latest posts...

Yeah I thought of that but since 95% of posts are to GM, you can just look at the top of the GM board. I didn't think compiling the boards would be particularly useful.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 20th Oct '05 11:02AM
4213 Posts

Yeah I thought of that but since 95% of posts are to GM, you can just look at the top of the GM board. I didn't think compiling the boards would be particularly useful.

I agree with that.

I'm not sure it's functionality that I would use.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 21st Oct '05 10:46PM
4213 Posts
How about a text only version of the forums.

Just tried to post from me snazzy new phone and it doesn't like the image links.

Spanners*
Fri 21st Oct '05 10:54PM
4597 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
How about a text only version of the forums.

Just tried to post from me snazzy new phone and it doesn't like the image links.

Yeah I've had trouble with them before, it's the javacript. Ok I like what we're saying here. Have already started on the new reviews engine which will take me a bit of work but after that we could have a think.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 22nd Oct '05 9:01PM
4678 Posts
Wow, so what's lined up for the reviews board? Pretty much what was suggested? I think that would be good, the only other option to keep the thread sizes down would be to split threads into smaller ones (e.g. books into fiction and non-fiction), but this fix wouldn't last forever unless we ended up with some pretty obscure subclassifications.

On the whole, I can't think of anything else we need right now... and it can quite often be as important to preserve good / working parts of the system as to implement new ones, I'd think carefully before changing anything too drastic given the current 99% perfectly smooth running of the place...

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Sun 23rd Oct '05 9:54PM
843 Posts
i would like ten yams and a pony please

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 23rd Oct '05 10:11PM
4213 Posts
Oooh thought of some new stuff!

A few noobs have trouble with posting images so maybe a box you paste an URL in and then hit a button and it drops the IMG link into your post maybe with size options as well. I've seen it on some blog sites and it works really well.

And also a counter that shows how many times a thread has been viewed.

And also (Maybe a less good idea) Often I read a thread and appreciate the content but dont have anything to write back, but I do to show that I read it and liked it (somthing like "Great thread" or "really funny") it woudl be cool to have an I liked it button which shows at the bottom of the thread with a message like "4 Forumeers have given this thread big up respect"
It would be like thread rating but A little simpler.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 24th Oct '05 5:49PM
1673 Posts
(sorry - bit late to this discussion)

Wow - I think that First Look thing is great! Maybe not something everyone would use, but it would serve a perfect function for me when I'm at work, should know better, but am intrigued to see what action there's been since I wrote several excellent posts the previous day. This way you get it all in one place, and can minimise it behind your work while it loads. Cool!

Oh, and that reminds me - all you folks with darned animated avatars are, it seems to me, increasing the risk of my boss noticing that it isn't technically "work" that I'm looking at. How about a tickbox, or a cookie or something, so that GIFs aren't displayed?

Going to try out the RSS feed next - very impressive...

Malcolm*
Mon 24th Oct '05 6:05PM
1673 Posts
OK - I give up - how do I subscribe to the RSS feed? On other websites with an RSS, a little symbol appears at the bottom indicating that Firefox has recognised it as one - but no such luck here. I've tried bookmarking it, but it just opens the uninterpreted XML page. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Found it! For other users' reference: Go to the Bookmarks menu, click Manage Bookmarks, then File, then New Livemark, and enter http://forum.thedaddy.org/forumrss.xml . Brill!

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Spanners*
Mon 24th Oct '05 6:28PM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
OK - I give up - how do I subscribe to the RSS feed? On other websites with an RSS, a little symbol appears at the bottom indicating that Firefox has recognised it as one - but no such luck here. I've tried bookmarking it, but it just opens the uninterpreted XML page. What am I doing wrong?

I use Sage which can be got at http://sage.mozdev.org/
Install it then hit Alt+s to open it up. Right click to add a new bookmark and put http://forum.thedaddy.org/forumrss.xml as the url. Then you should be away.
It's still beta - I need to get more info in there and as you say, get Firefox to recognise it. But hey, it's a feed!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 24th Oct '05 7:55PM
1558 Posts
I prefer the forum with threads idea more than the thread with posts I think, also the RSS beats both of them like the proverbial gingery offspring, top marks there Spanners. General's URL / picture box is pretty damn spiffy too!
Also, cheers for the instructions Malc, works a treat.
And for Dregan?

The following ten yams are stated in Hathapradeepika:
Ahimsa Satyamsteyam brahmacharyam kshama dhrutih
Dayarjavam mitaharh shoucham chaiva yama dash

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 24th Oct '05 11:16PM
4213 Posts
Having had annother look at "First Look" it is kinda handy for quick looks for updates when you are at work.

Spanners*
Tue 25th Oct '05 10:48AM
4597 Posts
OK, the time has come, The Daddy said to address the many ideas:

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Wow, so what's lined up for the reviews board?

So far the plan is that a board can be given a 'review' flag. A review board will automatically give you a title and rating field on the new post page and will display them nicely on the thread page.
Search functions TBC.

General was bold enough to comment:
A few noobs have trouble with posting images so maybe a box you paste an URL in and then hit a button and it drops the IMG link into your post maybe with size options as well.

I do like this idea however I have some Darwinian feelings against it i.e. if someone is too dumbass to figure out the ]img_ custom tag then they don't deserver to be able to post images

We have discussed this in the past, the main issue is that there is no way it could take past action into account so 90% of threads would be a big tasty 0.

And also (Maybe a less good idea) Often I read a thread and appreciate the content but dont have anything to write back, but I do to show that I read it and liked it (somthing like "Great thread" or "really funny") it woudl be cool to have an I liked it button which shows at the bottom of the thread with a message like "4 Forumeers have given this thread big up respect"

Would be a good thing to tie into the rating system. I'd like to have a go at this when I've got the current jobs finished.

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Oh, and that reminds me - all you folks with darned animated avatars are, it seems to me, increasing the risk of my boss noticing that it isn't technically "work" that I'm looking at. How about a tickbox, or a cookie or something, so that GIFs aren't displayed?

Good plan, will get that done. Probably via a tickbox on your profile.

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
I prefer the forum with threads idea more than the thread with posts I think

But it would still be just like looking at the first page of GM. If the boards were a bit more evenly accessed it would be different and I'd be happy to do it, there just doesn't seem any point at tht moment.

So we liking the first look board then? I find it useful, yeah you need to know what's been going on in the thread generally but it's nice for a quick check for any new action.

Still working on the RSS but it should be feature-rich in the next week or so. Found some nice tutorials on t'internet.

Ooh and the text based version of the forum - would I be right in thinkin that it's pretty much just posting/updating that doesn't work on some phones, PDAs etc? 'Cos if so then should I just make no frills post and update pages that you can go to as an alternative to the main ones?

Duuuuuude

The cheese is worth the squeeze.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Oct '05 11:13AM
4213 Posts

OK, the time has come, The Daddy said to address the many ideas:

If someone is too dumbass to figure out the ]img_ custom tag then they don't deserver to be able to post images

Possibly true but it's also a time saver and a few peopel have had problems with it.

We have discussed this in the past, the main issue is that there is no way it could take past action into account so 90% of threads would be a big tasty 0.

It would soon shake it's self out and the only posts that would have 0 are ones that predate view tallys so may that could display "This thread predates view counts" or sommat

Would be a good thing to tie into the rating system. I'd like to have a go at this when I've got the current jobs finished.

Word homie

Ooh and the text based version of the forum - would I be right in thinkin that it's pretty much just posting/updating that doesn't work on some phones, PDAs etc? 'Cos if so then should I just make no frills post and update pages that you can go to as an alternative to the main ones?

Yeah i'd just want a simple view and post page and nowt else.
With no images and maybe no sidebar on the threads (As my phone sometimes displays only that.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 25th Oct '05 11:53AM
2708 Posts
Ahhhh.... RSS goodness

On the subject of the First Look page, my only problem with it, is that it's so slow to load. I keep getting bored waiting and going and looking at the threads individually like...

I seem to remember however that you did something cunning to the frontpage to make it load quicker - something like storing the top threads for each board so you didn't have to search through all of them to find the latest. Any chance of doing something similar for the First Look board?

Cheers!

Malcolm*
Tue 25th Oct '05 12:14PM
1673 Posts
Wow - I've just noticed a completely accidental but nonetheless cool feature of using the RSS feed in Firefox! You know the little tiny spanner icon you get in the address bar when you're looking at the forum? Well, that appears in the RSS list - but only next to pages that you've already accessed. (Presumably because, until you've looked at the page, it has no way of knowing what its icon would be). However, this has the extremely useful feature of inadvertently distinguishing between threads you've looked at before (and therefore, potentially, are interested in) and threads you know nothing about!

This place is amazing.

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 26th Oct '05 5:16PM
4678 Posts
Has anyone else had the red 'CPU limit exceeded' message from the hosts? I've had it a couple of times now, are we finally becoming too complex for our hosts to handle?

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Wed 26th Oct '05 7:51PM
843 Posts
hurrah yams

Similar to the 'first look' board, there's an option in simplemachines fora that show 'unread threads since your last visit', which is pretty clever. I haven't had a chance to take a gander at the actuall code, but I'd imagine it's a fairly simple job of reading the last-visit from the cookie, then showing all threads with posts in them later than that date.

Also, how about a tickbox when you're signing in / in your profile that will disable showing avatars? It'll help with work-viewing [as mentioned already]. Having it tickable as you sign in means you can decide as you go along whether or not to view them, and having it in the profile means it can be a permanent setting. Just a thought..

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 1 of 4 - 1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy