By bye hackers
Tell me what you want! - 31 to 60
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 2 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 26th Oct '05 9:47PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
On the subject of the First Look page, my only problem with it, is that it's so slow to load. I keep getting bored waiting and going and looking at the threads individually like...

I seem to remember however that you did something cunning to the frontpage to make it load quicker - something like storing the top threads for each board so you didn't have to search through all of them to find the latest. Any chance of doing something similar for the First Look board?

This is a tricky one 'cos yes, your right it be rather slow. However the entire thing only uses one query so it's tricky to streamline it any further. Have a coupla tricks up my sleeve though, leave it with me.

Dregan was bold enough to comment:
Also, how about a tickbox when you're signing in / in your profile that will disable showing avatars? It'll help with work-viewing [as mentioned already]. Having it tickable as you sign in means you can decide as you go along whether or not to view them, and having it in the profile means it can be a permanent setting. Just a thought..

You really didn't read Malcolm's earlier post did you Anyways this is now done! Selectable in your profile.

General was bold enough to comment:
Yeah i'd just want a simple view and post page and nowt else.
With no images and maybe no sidebar on the threads (As my phone sometimes displays only that.

OK, cool. Will have a think.

Also have enhanced the RSS feed. You now get more info on it and RSS enabled browsers should detect its presence. Also it now shows the 12 most recently posted to threads because, given that I can't put the full text of a post in there it seemed like a more efficient way of doing it.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Thu 27th Oct '05 3:20PM
843 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
You really didn't read Malcolm's earlier post did you Anyways this is now done! Selectable in your profile.

I totally did read the post but sometimes I forget things

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 27th Oct '05 7:05PM
2708 Posts

Also have enhanced the RSS feed. You now get more info on it and RSS enabled browsers should detect its presence. Also it now shows the 12 most recently posted to threads because, given that I can't put the full text of a post in there it seemed like a more efficient way of doing it.

Outstanding, I was going to suggest this, but hadn't quite got around to it! But any chance of the date going on there next to the thread title?

Spanners*
Sat 29th Oct '05 7:07PM
4597 Posts
OK the reviews board now has fields for title and rating and all past reviews have been updated accordingly (cheers for the help Swoop). Sorting/search features will arrive when I've figured out the best way to implement.
Also added the date to the RSS feed

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 30th Oct '05 12:11AM
4213 Posts
Had a go at posting on the new review forums.

Top drawer old chap.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sun 30th Oct '05 9:05AM
1673 Posts
As always, excellent work!

Good thinking re. the date on the RSS feed. It hadn't occurred to me to miss it, but now that it's there it's clearly what was needed all along.

By the way: how does Firefox (or whatever) know how often to update the RSS feed? I assumed there would be info in the xml file itself, but there isn't. Does it only update each time the browser is re-started, or is it more often than that?

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Spanners*
Sun 30th Oct '05 10:34AM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
By the way: how does Firefox (or whatever) know how often to update the RSS feed? I assumed there would be info in the xml file itself, but there isn't. Does it only update each time the browser is re-started, or is it more often than that?

It's reader-specific, I think they just have a built in timer and check for new date every few minutes. Shouldn't depend on browser refreshes but then, different people implement it different ways.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 31st Oct '05 8:25PM
4678 Posts
Awesome work on the review boards!

I have no idea how to harness or steer an RSS feed so I think I'll leave that to the technically-minded for now.

Spanners*
Tue 1st Nov '05 4:58PM
4597 Posts
OK you can now post second opinions on the review board. But you can't as yet update them so make sure you don't have any typos!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 2nd Nov '05 12:33PM
4213 Posts
Been having a play.

Excellent work my man!

Spanners*
Thu 3rd Nov '05 1:09AM
4597 Posts
OK full updating and deletion on second opinions is good to go.
Next job - searching and sorting.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 3rd Nov '05 8:53PM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
As always, excellent work!

I couldn't agree more! Well done!

Good thinking re. the date on the RSS feed. It hadn't occurred to me to miss it, but now that it's there it's clearly what was needed all along.

Except now I look at it, would the time help as well? OR is that just me?

I believe (although I'm probably wrong) that it updates every time you click on the link. I'll have to check that though...

Spanners*
Sun 6th Nov '05 4:08AM
4597 Posts
OK and there is now a 'search/sort current thread' function happening.
Hit the 'search' button in the title bar and you'll get a lovely little popup window which allows you to search the thread you're on.

Also if you're in the review board you can pick to search by title or comment and it'll let you sort by title/rating ascending/descending.

Now I'm having a sandwich.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 8th Nov '05 7:36PM
2522 Posts
how about some groovy font selections for custom titles and such.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 10th Nov '05 1:35PM
2708 Posts

Can we only do second opinions? I added a third opinion to your scrubs review, and it took the post and all was good, it just didn't attach it to the actual post...

Spanners*
Sat 12th Nov '05 12:27AM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

Can we only do second opinions? I added a third opinion to your scrubs review, and it took the post and all was good, it just didn't attach it to the actual post...

Arse. Forgot to test that, people are able to post as many alternate opinions as they wish. I'm away from TDDO HQ for the weekend and withoput my usual mega-system but the powers of notepad have helped me out. Worry not 3rd, 4th etc opinions are now displaying right!
Sorry bud

And the custom fonts thing - yeah great idea, I'm looking into doing a bit of an overhaul on how the forum processes its fonts anyhew so I'll intergrate a bit of customability into it.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 5th Dec '05 11:18AM
4213 Posts
Having said i wasn't really fussed about the First Look board I've been using it quite a lot.

Spanners*
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:19PM
4597 Posts
That's good buddy. Really need to figure out how to make it load faster tho...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 5th Dec '05 1:26PM
2708 Posts
It does seem to be loading faster though - I've got admit I haven't checked it in a while, but it definitely seems faster than I remember.

Spanners*
Wed 14th Dec '05 3:35PM
4597 Posts
OK the first look page should be loading much quicker now. Let me know if you have any issues.
Edit: On second thoughts is UBER UBER OMG WTF SPEEDY INTARNET QUICKER!!!!!!!

Also tweaked the messaging so that you get a confirm popup if you try to navigate away before sending a message. And I've got the register script to calculate a person's age from their date of birth and reject under 18s.

It all about the little things.

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 26th Feb '06 1:15PM
2522 Posts
how about a swapsies page? you may have a book you don't want that you would like to swap for something else. you post the item and then other forumers reply telling you what they'll swap for it.

Spanners*
Sun 26th Feb '06 5:29PM
4597 Posts
Not a bad plan at all, my only reservation is that the ideal sorta way to run that would probably be simply in a thread!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 26th Feb '06 5:55PM
2522 Posts

Not a bad plan at all, my only reservation is that the ideal sorta way to run that would probably be simply in a thread!

of course!

Spanners*
Sun 26th Feb '06 6:02PM
4597 Posts
That being said, go for it! I've got some books/CDs I wouldn't mind exchangin

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 25th Aug '06 4:17PM
2522 Posts
how about a field in the mini reviews section where you can post a small picture of the thing you're reviewing?

Spanners*
Mon 28th Aug '06 8:25AM
4597 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
how about a field in the mini reviews section where you can post a small picture of the thing you're reviewing?

Will have a think, you think this will be better than just embedding the image with normal tags?
I could make another custom tag that will do some table jiggery allowing you to put an image on the left or right of a block of text...

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 1st Sep '06 11:34AM
1558 Posts
What about we do something to stop all the threads having the Gubbins tag? Looking down GM, it's almost every one, and it's the same across the other boards.
I suggest having no default setting, and not allowing a thread to be posted without the author deliberately picking one.
It should be fairly easy, (shouldn't it?) and it would create a nicer spread of colours, and a better first impression for new looker ats.

It's only a small point, and I might be being too picky, (it's been known) but as someone once said, it's all about the little things.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 1st Sep '06 11:41AM
1673 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
What about we do something to stop all the threads having the Gubbins tag? Looking down GM, it's almost every one, and it's the same across the other boards.
I suggest having no default setting, and not allowing a thread to be posted without the author deliberately picking one.
It should be fairly easy, (shouldn't it?) and it would create a nicer spread of colours, and a better first impression for new looker ats.

It's only a small point, and I might be being too picky, (it's been known) but as someone once said, it's all about the little things.

I second this idea. Mainy because it would make the place look nicer, but also might seem a bit more understandable to new people. (e.g. I've been in a situation where I've looked at a new website/forum, and a word/phrase crops up so often that I end up presuming it must have some special meaning to the people in there.)

Plus, I'm really proud of those little pictures I did!

Since I looked at http://www.39millionsteps.co.uk my life has been longer, happier AND safer from terrorist attack!

Spanners*
Tue 5th Sep '06 11:53AM
4597 Posts
Done! (woo)

And any thoughts on the images in reviews thing?

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 5th Sep '06 12:19PM
2522 Posts

Done! (woo)

And any thoughts on the images in reviews thing?

i think it would be a good idea, but like you say you can embed images already using the [] text so i'm not really sure now.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 2 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy