Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Tell me what you want! - 61 to 90
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 3 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 5th Sep '06 4:45PM
4678 Posts
Yeah I think it would probably be overkill to add extra boxes to the review threads, since you're already generous enough to allow full use of HTML in posts, not just piccies. I'm sure there's all sorts of fancy stuff we could be doing with it in threads, if anyone had the time, knowledge and inclination.

I'm doing a course in it sometime within the next few months so watch this space.

[ ]

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 5th Sep '06 4:52PM
4678 Posts
I just had an idea - how about letting people 'uncheck' the main boards list if they don't usually want to keep an eye on (e.g.) watershed or techy corner? It could be a checkbox on the main list itself (with a 'Show All Boards' button at the bottom to restore them all), or a list on the user profile page, like the board subscription options. That way the more casual users would get a very uncluttered and personally tailored look to the main page, I think people might like it.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 10th Sep '06 2:31PM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
I just had an idea - how about letting people 'uncheck' the main boards list if they don't usually want to keep an eye on (e.g.) watershed or techy corner? It could be a checkbox on the main list itself (with a 'Show All Boards' button at the bottom to restore them all), or a list on the user profile page, like the board subscription options. That way the more casual users would get a very uncluttered and personally tailored look to the main page, I think people might like it.

Done! Remove buttons next to each board title and a "show all boards" link in the forum extras menu.

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 10th Sep '06 5:26PM
2522 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Done! Remove buttons next to each board title and a "show all boards" link in the forum extras menu.

for a while there i thought i'd somehow deleted the whole of General Merriment from thedaddy.org! got it back now.

nice addition

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 11th Sep '06 9:49AM
2708 Posts
Maybe it would be better to change the text to "hide board" instead? "remove" does sound like you'll actually delete something!

Spanners*
Mon 11th Sep '06 9:59AM
4597 Posts
Plan!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 11th Sep '06 10:03AM
2708 Posts
Wow, that was quick. It confused the hell out of me for a second there!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 11th Sep '06 4:21PM
4678 Posts
Excellent work, cheers bro!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 26th Sep '06 5:13PM
4678 Posts
Two new ideas:

1. Poll Threads. At the top of the thread is a set of options. Checking one will replace this with the results and percentages, maybe in a bar chart. With an option to not vote but just view the results if you'd prefer. See SA for examples.

2. An option to view an entire multi-page thread on one long page for the purposes of printing out or saving a .mht file for later viewing.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 27th Sep '06 1:11PM
2708 Posts

2. An option to view an entire multi-page thread on one long page for the purposes of printing out or saving a .mht file for later viewing.

It would probably be easier (and maybe more useful?) if there was a button that recast the thread as a text document. You know, stripped out all the gumph and just had the actual post data...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 27th Sep '06 1:20PM
2708 Posts
Now it's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall if you click on someone's name on the main page they get a little pop-up that says something like "X would like to talk to you in the chatroom. All well and good. The person cancels it and then pops into the chatroom.

But what if they don't have time to chat? The caller is then left sat in the chatroom like a melon. A particularly warm and juicy melon, obviously, but a melon none the less. So how about adding a "not right now" button to the pop-up that send a suitable message to the initial caller - like "sorry Y is busy washing their hair" or some such?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 27th Sep '06 5:24PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

It would probably be easier (and maybe more useful?) if there was a button that recast the thread as a text document. You know, stripped out all the gumph and just had the actual post data...

I think both would be a good idea then. I often save a bunch of pages from games forums as .mht and stick them on my keychain to read during quiet moments at work. Had to save 27 separate pages from a single thread the other day, which is what gave me the idea. Text would be OK but not nearly as nice to look at.

Spanners*
Fri 29th Sep '06 11:12AM
4597 Posts

I think both would be a good idea then. I often save a bunch of pages from games forums as .mht and stick them on my keychain to read during quiet moments at work. Had to save 27 separate pages from a single thread the other day, which is what gave me the idea. Text would be OK but not nearly as nice to look at.

Any other votes on this?

I like the 'I don't want to talk to you' idea for the chatroom. Good stuff!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 29th Sep '06 11:16AM
2708 Posts
Well I got the idea after spending about ten minutes as a melon...

As for the multi page one, I'm literally just thinking of bandwidth. Although a text document wouldn't look as nice it would be a lot quicker to download. Surely the whole point of this feature would be to make things easier for people who don't have time to read online?

Spanners*
Fri 29th Sep '06 1:32PM
4597 Posts
Well I've put in the show all button 'cos it was very easy to sort out - when the script gets the 'show all' value it simply sets the page post limit to the number of posts in that thread.
It is rather slow however, I'll think about the text version but it's a lot more work. Ooh although maybe bodging the text only forum code would be the way to go...

Ooh also I just spotted that the sort term cookies weren't really short term at all as as soon as they got refreshed they went back to normal timeout duration. Fixed that up.

Also, before anyone asks, I have no idea why the banners have stopped showing on the front page. The code checks out!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 17th Oct '06 5:26PM
4678 Posts
That rocks, cheers Spanners.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of the 'poll thread' idea?

Spanners*
Tue 17th Oct '06 8:06PM
4597 Posts

Any thoughts on the feasibility of the 'poll thread' idea?

I've gotta tell ya, I'm still quite vague on what you're after here.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 18th Oct '06 5:55PM
4678 Posts

I've gotta tell ya, I'm still quite vague on what you're after here.

Ok, basically when you're creating a new thread, instead of it being set up as normal there'd be an option to create a poll thread instead. You can still make the normal post text (e.g. 'What's your favourite colour'), but you also get to define a set of options - (red, blue, green etc in this case). There'd have to be a variable number of these, decided by the thread creator.

Once the thread is made, anyone clicking on it would see the options given at the top of the thread, and would be able to tick one. Once ticked (or if the user elects to skip the vote and just see the results), the options would be replaced by the results - e.g. 30% (7 votes) for RED, 40% (9 votes) for BLUE, etc etc.

A lot of work, I know, but it could be fun, and possibly even useful

Spanners*
Tue 24th Oct '06 4:33PM
4597 Posts

Really lots of work. Lots. That's not to rule it out but I'll need a full business case for it and a couple of backers

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 24th Oct '06 6:55PM
1673 Posts
Does indeed sound like an enormous amount of work. But there is a slight business case for it, in that it's an increasingly common feature of online community sites (which, let's be honest, we're continuously competing with for people's attention). Not vital though.

But actually, I rocked on over to this thread to make the one really, very-small-indeed request for an improvement. You know how when a thread is divided into several pages you get First, Previous, Next and Last options? Well, all well and good. But whenever I see "Next" and "Last" options next to each other, my brain automatically and uncontrollably interpretes them as opposites - ie it looks as though "last" means "previous" (especially if you're on the first page of a thread so there's no Previous button to click). So, my revolutionary low-tech idea: how about the word "last" be replaced with the word "final"?

Go on - you know you want to!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 14th Nov '06 4:47PM
4678 Posts
Couple of (hopefully) quickies:

BCC and return receipt options for pms?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 16th Nov '06 11:05AM
4213 Posts

Really lots of work. Lots. That's not to rule it out but I'll need a full business case for it and a couple of backers

It sounds like it would be quite a useful thing to have, but a lot of sites seem to have similar things so maybe it would be possible to borrow a free tool from somewhere off the web to do them rather than muchos prorgramos for Spanners.

I was also thinking about some kind of feature where you could choose your top 10 X and it would compile a list of the forums favorite X based on votes, but again I'm sure that would be epic amounts of work.

Spanners*
Thu 16th Nov '06 12:30PM
4597 Posts

Couple of (hopefully) quickies:

BCC and return receipt options for pms?

OK they're both done. The way I've done receipts is that you can now get a list of the messages that you have sent but haven't been read. Hit the 'Unreceived Messages' link on the main message page.

Malcolm*
Fri 17th Nov '06 11:22AM
1673 Posts
Wow, good plan! However, this is what I got:

A tempting offer To Malley on Fri 13th Jan '06 9:43AMYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

(NB I presume "a tempting offer" was the name of the message. I assure you, I really can't remember what it was about.... honest!)

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 17th Nov '06 1:29PM
4213 Posts
Annother new featury thing that has sprung to mind is how we do thread ranking.

I don't usually bother to rank threads unless I think they are good (and I don't think others do) so I don't know how much value we are getting out of the votes out of 5 system we use at the moment.

We have too tight a comunity to have to worry too much about low quality threads at the moment so I think really we want to use thread ranking to highlight especially good threads.

I've noticed sometimes I think a thread is good but I may not have somthing creative to add to it and as a result I end up writing somthing lame like "What a great thread" which just breaks up the reading ease.

It would be good if instead of the current thread ranking system you could just hit a button to say I like this thread and on the front page it displayed how many people had given the thread a thumbs up and maybe on the thread its self it said which users had said they liked it at the bottom.

Whada ya think?

Spanners*
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:20PM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Wow, good plan! However, this is what I got:

A tempting offer To Malley on Fri 13th Jan '06 9:43AMYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Ah I see what happened there. A fatal error caused by copying and pasting code I'm afraid. Fixed now

And yeah General, that's a very good idea. Similar things have been suggested before but I think dropped below my radar. Will start having a play after FORUM MEET 2006!

Spanners*
Tue 21st Nov '06 10:57AM
4597 Posts
OK we now have 'Thumbs up' and 'Thumbs down buttons' along with normal ratings. Basically a Thumbs up gives a rating of 4 and a thumbs up gives a rating of 1. Crude but effective!

Spanners*
Thu 30th Nov '06 6:44AM
4597 Posts

But what if they don't have time to chat? The caller is then left sat in the chatroom like a melon. A particularly warm and juicy melon, obviously, but a melon none the less. So how about adding a "not right now" button to the pop-up that send a suitable message to the initial caller - like "sorry Y is busy washing their hair" or some such?

OK I think I've got this sorted. However I've not been able to test it properly given the unsociable hour of the morning I find myself coding. Now you should get an ok and a cancel button when you receive a chatroom invite, hit cancel and it will send a decline message.
Any problems give me a shout.
sp

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 30th Nov '06 11:48AM
4213 Posts
I tend to leave first look open on my PC and refresh it every so often.

Is there any milage in having an autorefresh option on the page?

Malcolm*
Thu 30th Nov '06 1:17PM
1673 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
I tend to leave first look open on my PC and refresh it every so often.

Is there any milage in having an autorefresh option on the page?

Actually, that's exactly what I do, and I was wondering the same thing - so I downloaded the ReloadEvery Firefox extension. You tell it how many minutes/seconds to wait between reloading the page again and again. It is through the wonder of this little extension that throughout many of my working days it appears as though I've been active on the forum continuously for hours.

It works in Portable Firefox too, so you can still use it even if you can't install a new web browser at work.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 3 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy