Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Play The Game Of Life, via the internet, with other DaddyDotOrgers! - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 12 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 27th Oct '05 9:14PM
1673 Posts
WINNER OF THE AWARD FOR MOST CREATIVE THREAD
AT THEDADDY.ORG FORUM MEET 2006

I've decided to bring a new and exciting concept to the forum - one which, to my knowledge, has not been tried before. The idea, in a nutshell, is this:

Who wants to join in a game of The Game Of Life?

This is how it'll work. I shall be the gamesmaster and, as such, will not be taking part. We need up to 6 players - everyone who expressed an interest here will go into the hat, and at 3pm on Saturday 29th October six names will be drawn and the game will commence!

Assorted points to bear in mind:
  • At the start of the game, I'll explain as many of the rules as are necessary to get started. Other rules will be explained as and when the situations arise.
  • Players will take turns, in the order in which they express their initial interest.
  • I shall maintain a tally of whose turn it is, how much money everybody has, and all other details (children, status symbols, etc - these will become clear). I'll also post a summary of the state of play from time to time.
  • For each go, I shall spin the wheel and announce the square on which the player has landed. If there are any decisions to be made, I will ask you. Occasionally there are decisions to be made in secret from other players - I will conduct these via private messages.
  • The gameboard will exist in the real world (specifically, York) and be updated as the game progresses. I'll post pictures from time to time, to keep things interesting.
  • Players are welcome to add their comments and reactions to this thread. Now and then I may edit and summarise proceedings/responses to keep the thread readable.

...and, for now, that's it! Other things will be worked out as we go along, but my decision in all such matters is final.

Willing contestants should post to this thread, indicating their gender (as it may not be obvious from forum names), and their first and second choice of car colour - red, yellow, green, blue, black or white.

The gauntlet is down!

*[Edit: I've decided that a first-come-first-served approach may not be appropriate, as everyone looks at the forum at different times of day. Therefore, the contestants will be randomly selected, at 3pm on Saturday 29th October, from all those who have expressed an interest. Swoop will be selected automatically, as he proposed himself before I altered this rule.]

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Thu 27th Oct '05 9:22PM
1558 Posts
I'm in! I'm a chap and I fancy a sporty yellow car, within which I shall zoom about the countryside, avoiding hedgehogs, and mowing down vicars.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 27th Oct '05 10:01PM
4213 Posts
Me me me!

I hope my photo makes obvious whether I'm Arthur or Martha.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 27th Oct '05 11:43PM
4678 Posts
I want to play! A male green car please, with hermaphrodite blue as a secondary option.

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Fri 28th Oct '05 12:31AM
215 Posts
sounds like a laugh. i hearby express my interest.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 28th Oct '05 7:22AM
4597 Posts
Bading! We like it right here. Male. Black. Green.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 28th Oct '05 9:09AM
212 Posts
Female! Green ! Blue !

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Fri 28th Oct '05 9:28AM
758 Posts
Me me me! Green or blue (I'm not copying Mildred, she's copying me from in front). I'm female also.

Malley
Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9
Fri 28th Oct '05 10:16AM
55 Posts
I'd like to play - I've never played the game of life before. I want to be the Hat!! Oh, wait...Blue, man, green.

http://www.the-echo.co.uk

For the best band in Leeds, honest.

Roooaaaaarrr!!!

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Fri 28th Oct '05 12:55PM
838 Posts
I am a female and I choose red then white.

A sentence I never thought I'd ever have to type...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 28th Oct '05 1:26PM
2708 Posts
Me! Me! Me! Pick Me!

I am a male who like all the colours of the rainbow. Therefore I shall increase my odds of being randomly selected by not minding which colour car I have, just what ever is left.

Malcolm*
Sun 30th Oct '05 5:13PM
1673 Posts
The draw has been made!

The proud line-up of contestants is listed below:

Congratulations to those lucky enough to get through the random selection process; comiserations to those who didn't quite make it. Your support will still be greatly valued - feel free to opper spontaneous commentary, punditry and generally anything else applicable to the spectator sport of spectator sports.

The game is about to start... keep watching for the first exciting instalment! Contestants - on your marks.

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 30th Oct '05 6:00PM
4213 Posts
Aieeeeeeeeeee Noooooooo! etc

Ah it's a fair cop.....

I'm going to play nethack.... ON MY OWN! (sob)

Spanners*
Sun 30th Oct '05 6:00PM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Congratulations to those lucky enough to get through the random selection process; comiserations to those who didn't quite make it. Your support will still be greatly valued - feel free to opper spontaneous commentary, punditry and generally anything else applicable to the spectator sport of spectator sports.

Yay! I'm in the game! Although I'm a generous sorta guy so if any of you unlucky ones wish to join my team and 'ride with the Spanners' then you're quite welcome

Clara
Mon 31st Oct '05 8:29AM
838 Posts
Woohoo! I am ready for The Game Of Life...

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Mon 31st Oct '05 9:13AM
215 Posts
excellente.

p.s spanners: QUALITY avatar.

a thumb, of gigantic proportions!

Malcolm*
Mon 31st Oct '05 11:29AM
1673 Posts

Initial instructions

Object of the game:
to be the player with the most money when all the players have reached the Country Cottage or the Millionaire's Mansion.

On each turn:
  • You receive your salary, once this has been determined (see below).
  • I will spin the spinner on your behalf, and move your piece the requisite number of spaces. I will then tell you what square you have landed on, telll you what the result was, and ask you to make any relevant decisions.
  • There are certain squares on which all players must stop (even if they have spun a higher number) - there are, therefore, certain actions through which you will all have to go.
  • At some places there is a fork in the road and you must choose one of two routes. Generally the shorter route carries potentially higher gains and potentially higher losses. I will post a photograph of the choices and a list of all the squares on each route, to enable you to make your decision.
  • At the end of each turn, you may, if you wish, buy a Life Insurance Certificate for 25,000. Each certificate will be worth 50,000 upon your retirement, or 15,000 if you choose to sell it off early to make some money. There is only a limited number of Life Insurance Certificates available, but you may sell them to each other for a mutually agreed price. This can be done by Private Message, but you must include me in the messaging so that I can keep the records up to date.
  • For each turn, you have from the moment I announce your move until directly before I announce your following turn to tell me you would like a Life Insurance Certificate. Simply request it at any time.
  • You may borrow from the bank in the form of a credit card. Each card is worth 20,000 to you, but will cost 25,000 to pay back (or 50,000 upon retirement). You may hold up to four credit cards at once.

Other rules will be explained as the game proceeds. And so, to begin the game, you each receive 3,000 and must each make a choice:

Career or university?

Before I spin the spinner for your first go, you must choose between two paths.
  1. Career - you proceed along the Career path, which includes the squares listed below. You are allocated a random career (restricted to only those that do not require a degree) and salary. From your next go you start to receive your regular salary.
  2. University - You proceed along the University path. You must pay 20,000 tuition fees and therefore begin with a credit card. You receive no salary until you reach the end of the University path. At this point, you will be presented with three careers and three salaries from which to choose.

The route choices can be seen by clicking on the following link; alternaticely, the contents of each route are listed below.

Photographic representation

Career spaces: Clear bank overdraft, pay 2,000 / Rent a flat, pay 5,000 / Win a raffle, receive 5,000.

University spaces: Scholarship, receive 10,000 / Buy books, Pay 2,000 / Extra tuition fees, pay 5,000 / Part-time job, receive 5,000 / Join hang-gliding club, pay 2,000 / Go on expedition in search of the Yeti, pay 1,000 / Your 18th birthday, receive 5,000 / Win a writing competition, receive 4,000 / Study for your exams, miss one turn / Publish your thesis, receive 1,000 .

Feel free to let me know your choices in advance of your go if you wish.

And now, the spinner has been spun, and Mildred is to start! Over to you, Mildred - what's it to be? Career or University?

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Mon 31st Oct '05 11:48AM
758 Posts
I'd like to go to university. Defer my gratification, baby!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 31st Oct '05 12:53PM
212 Posts
I can't tell you how much it has cheered my Monday morning to see myself, represented by a small pink peg ensconced in a green plastic car mounted on a sheet of A4 lined paper - wonderful! Oh I am so excited! I am even going to resist doing a feminist analysis of 'The Game of Life' along the lines of how typically patriarchal & annoying it is to reduce women to teensy pink pegs (that's how excited I am)!

And now I shall subdue my enthusiasm by reading that long list of Malcolm's rules - good heavens - engage brain...

Spanners*
Mon 31st Oct '05 1:01PM
4597 Posts
Career path for Spanners! I'm feeling lucky

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 31st Oct '05 1:02PM
212 Posts

Over to you, Mildred - what's it to be? Career or University?

Malcolm, I've thought about it long and hard (well, for about 2 minutes) and I've decided I would like to go to University, please. I'm a bit worried about incurring all that debt, but I like the idea of the potential for Yeti expeditions, and of spending $2,000 dollars on books, should I land on those squares.

Clara
Mon 31st Oct '05 3:13PM
838 Posts
University for me too please - let's relive those halcyon days...

Malcolm*
Mon 31st Oct '05 4:58PM
1673 Posts
Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm so far. Also, special congratulations to Spanners for succeeding in overlooking the inherent matriarchal, mysandristic oppression evident in his being forced to be represented by a small blue peg. Hang in there, brother!

However, for now, let's overlook such attempts to stir up gender warfare and get on with the game: Mildred, spun a 3, and have therefore landed on:
Extra tuition fees - pay 5,000

Since there is no other way for you to pay this, you have been awarded another credit card. Therefore you have:

2 credit cards (total 50,000 debt)
and 18,000 cash left over (including your starting 3,000).

Malcolm*
Mon 31st Oct '05 5:03PM
1673 Posts
Next go goes to Spanners, who is awarded a randomly-selected career and salary:
Athlete
30,000 salary

(incidentally, this is the highest possible salary. It also means he'll have to pay the highest amount of Tax, should the scenario arise...)

Spanners rolled a 6 and has therefore landed on Travel around Europe - pay 6,000.

Spanners therefore has a total of 27,000 and no credit cards. Looks like the Career choice may have been a good one... but don't let that influence the rest of your decisions!

Swoop - over to you. Career or university?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 31st Oct '05 7:50PM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Yay! I'm in the game! Although I'm a generous sorta guy so if any of you unlucky ones wish to join my team and 'ride with the Spanners' then you're quite welcome

Can I go in the boot?

This is looking great, top thread idea Malcolm!

Spanners*
Mon 31st Oct '05 11:34PM
4597 Posts

Next go goes to Spanners, who is awarded a randomly-selected career and salary:
Athlete
30,000 salary

Woo-tang!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Tue 1st Nov '05 1:14PM
212 Posts

Mildred, spun a 3, and have therefore landed on:
Extra tuition fees - pay 5,000

Since there is no other way for you to pay this, you have been awarded another credit card. Therefore you have:

2 credit cards (total 50,000 debt)
and 18,000 cash left over (including your starting 3,000).

Mew! It's not fair! Right, the little pink peg that is Mildred is now going to construct a miniscule placard complaining about the government's discriminatory tuition fee policy, grrrrr!!

Malcolm*
Tue 1st Nov '05 2:13PM
1673 Posts
I look forward greatly to the placard!

Swoop - it's your turn next, and we await your decision: Career or University?

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Tue 1st Nov '05 7:59PM
1558 Posts
I'd like to spend a few years dossing about drinking cheap beer and sitting on my arse watching Columbo please, I choose University!

Malcolm*
Tue 1st Nov '05 8:22PM
1673 Posts
An excellent choice. Consider yourself the proud owner of one credit card, equalling a debt of 25,000. However, you also have your starting 3,000 in cash.

You have rolled a 10, and have landed on:
Study for your exams. Miss one turn.

Ah, the pressures of the educational system.

Arabstrab, you're up - career or university?

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 12 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy