Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Play The Game Of Life, via the internet, with other DaddyDotOrgers! - 271 to 300
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 10 of 12 - <<First  ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 15th Jan '06 2:32PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Diziet, have you no idea what happened to the Strapster?

well, i know he's not gone on another pilgramage into the wilds because i spoke to him yesterday.

i shall give him a buzz on his mobile and encourage him to get his stylishly dressed backside into gear...

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 15th Jan '06 2:40PM
2522 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Diziet, have you no idea what happened to the Strapster?

well, i know he's not gone on another pilgramage into the wilds because i spoke to him yesterday.

i shall give him a buzz on his mobile and encourage him to get his stylishly dressed backside into gear...

communication with 'strap successfully achieved. he's out walking with his lay-yay-deee today but he assures me that he'll be posting to this thread tomorrow.

sergeant diziet o'blimey over and out

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 15th Jan '06 4:58PM
4597 Posts
Did you happen to mention that I have a can of whoopass here with his name on it?

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Mon 16th Jan '06 10:28AM
215 Posts
Lo!

I wish to apologise for this unnecessarylyrlyreely long break in play.

My flux capacitor was on the blink and i ended up in 1885, shoeing horses and fixing wagons. I was almost shot by Buford Tannen, over a matter of $80, but a guy named Clint Eastwood stuck his neck out for me.
We stole a train, in order to 'push' the Morris Minor up to the required 18mph. Unfortunately, i have no idea if this was successful because i was abducted by a Yaqui sorceress at the crucial moment.
She spent 10 years teaching me the magic of the protector before summoning up a time portal from her deathbed, using her last ounce of strength. The sorceress also revealed to me the mysteries of the Higgs-Boson particle, assuming i would use this information to create an all-powerful weapon that would rid the world of an unspeakable horror which frequently came to haunt her dreams. According to the sorceress, the "celebrities" of the future would be our ultimate un-doing; it was my purpose within the cosmos to wipe out these "celebrities".
I lept through the portal, clutching the parchment which held the key to universal equallibrium...

The next thing i recall is stitting at the dinner table with my family, my step fsther furiously trying to ignite a chritmas pud. It must be christmas day! "God bless us, every one!" I exclamed as i shoved a piece of dry paper i happened to have in my hand at the time into the fire. As i lit the pudding, i realised with horror what i had done...
Still, at least the pudding was lit.

I decided that the only course of action would be to shy away from the world and meditate on what had happened. So, that is what i did. Until, a few days ago when i over heard something quite spectacular. A voice... a message... a level a cynicism and abhorrence i had not witnessed since.... the sorcerer!!! I lept up from my cusion, beat my way through a formidable cloud of sandalwood-infused smoke and skidded - footballer style - along the living room carpet to the glowing box in the corner of the room. There, to my amazement, was the face of Mr Pete Burns.
All is not lost... he is a gift, from the cosmos to us. Put on this earth to verbally assasinate celebrities! I need not hang my head in shame and longer... perhaps the world DOES have room for another monotheistic religeon.

Oh, my numbers are 2 and 4 by the way.

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Mon 16th Jan '06 11:59AM
215 Posts
...and a stake of 50,000

Spanners*
Wed 18th Jan '06 11:08PM
4597 Posts
Some would say this means game on!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 19th Jan '06 12:12PM
1673 Posts
Welcome back, Arabstrap! Your father and I were worried sick!

However, we have now reached an interesting situation. Having already announced the opening of Arabstrap Idol, we can't let our viewing public down. After all, the contest has been hotly anticipated in all the celebrity press and ITV1 has invested millions in pre-show promotion.

So, the show must go on. Currently we have two contenders for the crown of Replacement Arabstrap: Amanshu and Arabstrap. I see no reason why Arabstrap cannot enter a competition to become The Nation's Next Arabstrap - it's just like Andy Scott-Lee entering Pop Idol, isn't it?

We have, therefore, two contestants. Roll up, roll up - any other takers before the show gets underway in the next 24 hours?

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 19th Jan '06 12:45PM
212 Posts
Can I nominate Allen Key on alliterative grounds? (that seems to be the way the competition is going, what with Amanshu and Arabstrap currently in the running)

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 19th Jan '06 1:17PM
2708 Posts
Ohhh... I'm suddenly not so sure I wish to enter, after all I thought I might be up against some pretty stiff competition, but I'm thinking Arabstrap might be a better Arabstrap than me...

Oh dear...

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Wed 25th Jan '06 12:47PM
212 Posts
What was the result of the 'Arabstrap Idol' comp, or is it still going on?

Hurry up, hurry up, I want to play the game of life, like, now!!

we must finish this game if it is the last thing we do (and I hope it won't be)

Malcolm*
Wed 25th Jan '06 1:45PM
1673 Posts
Right then - the appeal was open for several days, and we have no further contestants, so let the competition commence. Arabstrap and Amanshu, the audition of your dreams is about to commence!

This is how it will work. A number of rounds will take place, in which each contestant will be asked to submit their performance/entry. As is the tradition in these things, the panel of judges (comprised of the other five Game of Life players) will be welcome to offer their comments, commendations, criticisms and observations - but these will have no effect on the result. The audience - i.e. all DaddyDotOrgers - will then be free to vote for their favourite. After the requisite number of rounds have been completed, the 2006 Arabstrap Idol will be announced!

Ready?

Here goes, then...

Round one: Composition/Performance
Please perform (i.e. type) a song, written in the style of a boy band hit, that deals with your choice of one of the following subjects:
  • Avocadoes
  • Herefordshire
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Round one is now open - could the contestants please step forward!

(Judges - feel free to submit your comments at any stage.)

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 25th Jan '06 2:19PM
2708 Posts
Back to Hertfordshire

I guess now it's time for me to go out
To Hertfordshire.
Got Verulamium before me
Got the work?s of Henry Moore to think about.
Got a stone of avocado
Got a stomach full of green
Gotta eat it, but I ate it all an hour ago.

Whatever I did, whatever I said, I didn?t mean it -
I?ll go watch some TV
Whenever I'm bored just give me a word and I'll go do it
I've got ADHD.

Had to waste some time, so I played with baubles
It was real good.
But in the corner of my mind I had to see St Albans
But it took too long for me
Got a brand new Avocado, and it glistens eerily
I think I?ll find a little dog for company.

Whatever I did - I could go to bed. I didn't dream yet.
I?ll go watch some more TV
I've never seen Kong - I'll go buy some tongs - and I'll swing it
I?ve got ADHD

And I'll be real clever, this time is forever
I'll go to Herts and in the six hills I will be
So ?

I?m thirsty.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 25th Jan '06 3:50PM
838 Posts
Bravo, Amanshu! Although I note that you didn't adhere strictly to the rules of choosing ONE of the categories...

Still, if a choice were offered between this and the Take That original, I reckon this would come out on top. Gary Barlow never used the avocado as the inspiration for a chart topper, much to the music world's detriment in my opinion.

(NB I attemted to temporarily alter the height of my waistband to ensure the Simon Cowell effect, but it just doesn't work with my black work trousers from Top Shop - apologies for not entering into the spirit as fully as I could.)

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 25th Jan '06 4:38PM
2708 Posts

Clara was bold enough to comment:
Although I note that you didn't adhere strictly to the rules of choosing ONE of the categories...

Depends how you define strictness - strictly speaking the entire song is supposed to be about someone with ADHD, it's just that they keep getting distracted by an avocado and Hertfordshire, among other things...

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 25th Jan '06 4:40PM
758 Posts
Well. I couldn't be more disappointed. You come out here looking like a star, and give a performance like a stair. Look, son, there are rules to this game. Pick one topic. Compose your own song. I don't see either of those adhered to and if you get through to the next round I'd suggest bucking your ideas up and getting some lessons in. You're in the big league now, so don't waste my time if you're not going to act like it. If you want to be the kind of perfomer I saw tonight, I'd suggest you go on Arabstrap Factor where people like you are what they're looking for.

EDIT: For goodness sakes, this gets worse and worse! On re-reading, I notice you've also mistaken Herefordshire for Hertfordshire!

()

Malcolm*
Wed 25th Jan '06 7:10PM
1673 Posts

Kelly was bold enough to comment:

EDIT: For goodness sakes, this gets worse and worse! On re-reading, I notice you've also mistaken Herefordshire for Hertfordshire!

I was wondering how long it would take anyone to notice this!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 25th Jan '06 7:44PM
2708 Posts

Kelly was bold enough to comment:
Pick one topic.

So you're objecting to the fact that I picked more than one topic, and that one of them was wrong? Not sure if I understand...

Oh well, at least I looked like a star if nothing else... I guess however I could amend it to something else so it did include information about Herefordshire...

Spanners*
Thu 26th Jan '06 12:07PM
4597 Posts
Distincly average. More 'I need a slap Idol' than 'Arabstrap Idol'

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 26th Jan '06 1:10PM
212 Posts
Valiant effort, Amanshu, if somewhat flawed by the fatal confusion of Hertforshire with Herefordshire (it happens to us all sooner or later). I did enjoy the subtly interwoven avocado imagery, but ultimately: not quite Arabstrappy enough.

Allow me to just throw a quick glass of water or two over all my fellow judges, for good measure and no particular other reason

Malcolm*
Fri 27th Jan '06 9:52AM
1673 Posts
Thank you, Amanshu, for your efforts in that round - I'm sure you'll be taking all those comments to heart and will raise your game accordingly in the next round.

And now our next contestant - Arabstrap, are you ready?

Spanners*
Tue 31st Jan '06 8:43AM
4597 Posts
I think we can safely assume that Arabstrap has lost interest. Game on people!

Malcolm*
Tue 31st Jan '06 10:10AM
1673 Posts
Hmm... it's a tricky one, though, since Mr. Strap did return with such flamboyance. A return sadly unmatched, however, by his performance since. Tell you what - we'll wait until the end of the day for a final chance, then we'll have to announce a winner of Arabstrap Idol by default.

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 31st Jan '06 1:31PM
215 Posts
This is a bit like having to re-apply for your job. I'd like to speak with thedaddy's union rep.

Malcolm*
Tue 31st Jan '06 1:47PM
1673 Posts

Arabstrap was bold enough to comment:
This is a bit like having to re-apply for your job. I'd like to speak with thedaddy's union rep.

Well, I suppose it is kind of like that... but with singing, dancing and humiliation too!

And as for unions - you should be grateful I'm here putting money in your pocket and food in your family's mouths, sunshine. There's plenty of illegal immigrant workers who'd happily do your work much cheaper. Any more of this and you'll be out on your ear, kapeesh?

So, come on then - where's your entry?

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 31st Jan '06 4:16PM
215 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Well, I suppose it is kind of like that... but with singing, dancing and humiliation too!

And as for unions - you should be grateful I'm here putting money in your pocket and food in your family's mouths, sunshine. There's plenty of illegal immigrant workers who'd happily do your work much cheaper. Any more of this and you'll be out on your ear, kapeesh?

So, come on then - where's your entry?

GASP! I'm offened by this whole affair. I'm going on strike!

Malcolm*
Tue 31st Jan '06 4:53PM
1673 Posts
Who'd have thought such an innocent and fun game would descend into industrial action? Obviously it is the proprietor's sincere wish to avoid further inconvenience to the public, but while the workforce is unwilling to enter into discussion it is difficult to see a way out of this impasse. The only solution I can see is to call in an Independent Negotiator to help us work through this crisis.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 31st Jan '06 5:24PM
4678 Posts
Good evening.

As your officially appointed Independent Negotiator, I would like to open the proceedings by stating the facts of the case so far.

1. A decision is needed as to who becomes the nation's next great Arabstrap Idol. The choice is to be made between Amanshu and Arabstrap.
2. At first glance Arabstrap would be the obvious contender for the position, given the fact that he actually is Arabstrap.
3. However, Malcolm, as the owner and organiser of the game, has previously stipulated that a competition shall be held in order to judge the next Arabstrap. The judge's decision is, of course, final; I therefore uphold the competition as fair and proper.
4. Amanshu has provided an excellent entry which, although not exactly within the stated rules of the competition, nonetheless conforms to the spirit, if not the letter, of the game. Arabstrap has tendered his industrial action in place of a composition
5. The decision must be made on the grounds of merit - in this respect, Arabstrap's industrial action can only be viewed as a piece of avant-garde poetry rather than a withdrawal from the competition.

So I feel I must judge the worthiness of Amanshu's poem against Arabstrap's tendered industrial action. However, as my role is that of Negotiator, not Adjudicator, I now call recess in order for each party to approach the bench separately (think of me as ACAS) with their case. This consultation period shall extend 48 hours into the future - to wit, all plea bargains / trading of horses must be complete by 5.25pm GMT on Thursday 2nd February 2006, at which point the outcome shall be made available for public scrutiny.

I have to say, as things currently stand, Arabstrap has some pretty tough negotiating ahead of him!

Let the negotiations commence

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 31st Jan '06 5:29PM
4213 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Who'd have thought such an innocent and fun game would descend into industrial action? Obviously it is the proprietor's sincere wish to avoid further inconvenience to the public, but while the workforce is unwilling to enter into discussion it is difficult to see a way out of this impasse. The only solution I can see is to call in an Independent Negotiator to help us work through this crisis.

SACK THE LOT OF THEM!

Love the Negotiator (British Layland circa 1970)

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 31st Jan '06 6:05PM
2708 Posts
I'd like to call a mistrial as I believe there is some familial connection between the "independent" negotiator and the owner and organiser of the game who is at the centre of the furor. As such I feel that the negotiator is not strictly speaking independent of the proceedings and so they can not proceed in their current state.

I would also further like to point out that as I have already stated that I would happily defer to the more appropriate Arabstrap, I would be happy to withdraw from the competition and settle this dispute out of these negotiations.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 31st Jan '06 6:54PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
I'd like to call a mistrial as I believe there is some familial connection between the "independent" negotiator and the owner and organiser of the game who is at the centre of the furor. As such I feel that the negotiator is not strictly speaking independent of the proceedings and so they can not proceed in their current state.

Overruled

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
I would also further like to point out that as I have already stated that I would happily defer to the more appropriate Arabstrap, I would be happy to withdraw from the competition and settle this dispute out of these negotiations.

Excellent start to the negotiations there Amanshu, I presume you plan to employ the old Tokyo Switcheroo gambit? It's ruthless, but often pre-empts a Jimminy Sidewaddle.

46.5 hours of negotiations remain... Mr. Strap's move

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 10 of 12 - <<First  ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy