Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
What makes TDDO Tick - 1 to 7
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Thu 10th Nov '05 3:45PM
242 Posts
I've often wondered just what magical technologies go into making this here forum actually work.

Now I'm guessing that there's one big fat database sitting in the background storing all of the posts and boards.

I also assume that everytime I view a board then I'm seeing the results of a database query.

Is this the magical SQL of which they speak?

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Fri 11th Nov '05 10:44AM
843 Posts
Spanners will probably be along shortly with a wonderful explanation, probably with block diagrams and possibly snippets of code if you're a good boy, but allow me to beat him to the punch and summate:

Yes.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 11th Nov '05 3:09PM
4597 Posts
In a very broad overview kinda way, this forum is built with a php engine running MySQL queries and producing HTML, javascript and css code. That's 5 whole languages!
All data manipulation is done via SQL queries - they are involved in every single page of the forum. Any specific sorta code snippets you want to see?

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Sun 13th Nov '05 11:44AM
242 Posts
I don't think I'd be able to understand the code itself.
I understand what most of those languages are, but php and css?

What do they do?

I feel i should know php, but what does it stand for?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 13th Nov '05 5:19PM
4678 Posts

Oooood was bold enough to comment:

I feel i should know php, but what does it stand for?

Wiki says:

Originally, PHP stood for "Personal Home Page". Today, the official meaning is the recursive acronym "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor". Some fans of this language also use the label "Pretty Hypertext Preprocessor".

As I understand it php is a language whose main output is HTML. So it's used to generate the actual HTML of the page you're looking at now.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 13th Nov '05 5:35PM
4213 Posts
PHP is for server side stuff where as JavaScript executes on the client.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 13th Nov '05 7:02PM
4597 Posts
Yeah PHP is an equivalent to ASP/VBScript. They are server-side interpreted language Although these languages are mainly used for internet applications and therefore do a lot of production of HTML code. However they are full languages in their own right and can be used for a vast array of things - I have seen some very nice PHP image editors, it is clearly very good for database integration and its file manipulation functions are all good.
CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and is used to define fonts and visual layouts. It's kinda like an addon for HTML. Check here for an example.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy