Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Ask a random question - 1 to 30
Return To General Merriment 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>>

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sat 19th Nov '05 7:46PM
4597 Posts
OK I'm starting a thread for all those random that build up in your head without really finding a solution 'cos they ain't really that important but then sometimes you think "I really should look that up" but then you forget to and it's forgotten again for a bit and before you know it the question appears on a pub quiz and the prize is a bar dash and you've always wanted to do one of them and you only come second in the quiz because you didn't know this answer and you then have to buy your own drinks but only brought a fiver 'cos you wanted a 'cheap night' but there's that tasty barmaid and you want lots of reason to go and talk to her but a fiver will get you 2 carling and a packet of peanuts at best so you never get to 'that place' with her and have to go dateless to that wedding for an old uni mate who you've not seen for a few years but were bezzy mates at the time and you end up sitting at the second pew from the back (not the back one, 'cos that would look too pitiful) and missing the best of the action 'cos of that random lady in front of you with the big hat (who should really be sat on the bride's side anyway, in fact look at the bride's lovely lady friends, why didn't you sit over there, pretend to get all tearful and come off as the sensitive stranger?) then being first to hit the bar at the reception and ending up doing your 'elbow dance' that was funny at uni but now you ain't so flexible and fall over and then you think you've twisted your hip and you decide to head over to casualty 'cos it's probably nothing but you remember hearing from this guy at the pub that his mate's mate's girlfriend's aunt once twisted her hip and it got gangrene and had to be amputated and you really can't handle losing your leg this month, not with all those two-legged people competeing with you for that promotion at work since Dave went of to find himself in Uzbekistan and your hip's fine but then you catch anthrax from Brian, the friendly bloke in the cubicle next to you who smells slightly of figs.

First 2:
What's the comedy music that they use on TV when there is a line of people running round at high speed? Think they had it on Harry Hill and the Simpsons.
What continent is the Middle East in? Or is is split? If so where is the split?

You answer ours, we answer yours and the world becomes a very slightly more intelligent place - it's all gravy.

The cheese is worth the squeeze.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Sat 19th Nov '05 9:05PM
843 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

What's the comedy music that they use on TV when there is a line of people running round at high speed? Think they had it on Harry Hill and the Simpsons.

The Benny Hill Theme, or Yakety Sax. Very popular on the SA Forums. If it isn't funny when set to Yakety Sax, it truly is Something Awful!!!!!!!!!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 20th Nov '05 3:16PM
4678 Posts

The trouble is it's not an exactly defined area. From Wiki:
The Middle East is a political and cultural subregion of Asia, or of Africa-Eurasia. The core of the region comprises the lands between the Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Gulf along with the Anatolian, Arabian and Sinai peninsulas. Sometimes, it is used in a broader sense which can include areas stretching from North Africa in the west to Pakistan in the east and the Caucasus and/or Central Asia in the north. The media and various international organizations (such as the United Nations) usually considers the Middle East to be Southwest Asia plus Egypt and sometimes Iran.

My question:

What's a good, not-too-hard flight sim for a PC with only medium spec?

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Mon 21st Nov '05 11:32AM
242 Posts
Is Coke really made with bat droppings?

And is Red Bull really made with bull sperm?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 21st Nov '05 11:53AM
2708 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

The trouble is it's not an exactly defined area. From Wiki:
The media and various international organizations (such as the United Nations) usually considers the Middle East to be Southwest Asia plus Egypt and sometimes Iran.

Although not all of Egypt, since most of that's in Africa. Just the area up to the north east, on the other side of the suez canal roughly...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 21st Nov '05 11:58AM
2708 Posts

Oooood was bold enough to comment:
Is Coke really made with bat droppings?

yes, but don't tell anyone - it's a secret...

And is Red Bull really made with bull sperm?

No, - it's so named because it contains large amounts of taurine.

Just what is the exact meaning of esoteric? And is there a better word for the same thing?

Dregan
Mon 21st Nov '05 1:30PM
843 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

Just what is the exact meaning of esoteric? And is there a better word for the same thing?

esoteric

synonyms

As with all synonyms, they're not strictly accurate. Most of them can be used to describe esoteric, but it's rare that esoteric can be used in their stead.

Spanners*
Mon 21st Nov '05 6:08PM
4597 Posts
Great answers, cheers all. Yakety Sax will soon be finding its way to my car CD player - great for the early morning starts

Red Baron 2. It's the most chilled flight sim I've played and being as it's set in WW1 you have very straightforward controls - none of that crazy different function for every frikkin key on the keyboard stuff you get in modern plane sims. Dogfights are great fun.
Also it came out 3 or 4 years ago so it's fine on a fairly low spec.

Dregan
Tue 22nd Nov '05 1:15AM
843 Posts

Red Baron 2. It's the most chilled flight sim I've played and being as it's set in WW1 you have very straightforward controls - none of that crazy different function for every frikkin key on the keyboard stuff you get in modern plane sims. Dogfights are great fun.
Also it came out 3 or 4 years ago so it's fine on a fairly low spec.

Furthermore, EuroFighter 2000 is pretty awesome. Might need DOSbox to run properly, I'm not 100% sure it's WinXP compatible.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 22nd Nov '05 5:59PM
4678 Posts
Cheers guys, will check both of these out.

'Arcane' is the closest synonym to esoteric I can think of.

Spanners*
Mon 19th Dec '05 8:10PM
4597 Posts
Why can ghosts walk through walls but don't fall through the floor?

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 19th Dec '05 9:19PM
2522 Posts

because of gravity.

or ley lines.

The Guv
I have no idea what to put here........ HELP ME
Mon 19th Dec '05 9:30PM
320 Posts
Why does McDonalds always make you feel hungrier after you have eaten it??.

Why do pensioners insist all young people are on benefits?

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Mon 19th Dec '05 10:34PM
894 Posts

The Guv was bold enough to comment:
Why does McDonalds always make you feel hungrier after you have eaten it??.

MSG thats all you need to know

Ummm Interesting !!!!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 19th Dec '05 10:52PM
1558 Posts

I think that's supposed to be because they walk the paths that they used to walk when they were alive. People move doors in houses, block off new rooms and suchlike, but rarely change the floor level.
I'm scared to comment, with such a resident ghostyologist in the house, but I believe that in York there have been sightings of a small group of Roman soldiers who appear from the knees up in the cellar of a public house, and that subsequent diggings revealed that their lower legs and spooky footsies would have been at about the depth that the floor would have been back in them days. Malcolm, did I get that right?

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 21st Dec '05 2:04PM
1673 Posts
Hmm... well, you got it right in the sense that yes, that's the story. But as for whether it's true, I'll decline to comment.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 23rd Dec '05 12:08AM
1558 Posts
I was just checking that I had the facts of the myth correct, that it was that sort of phantom and in that locale, in relation to the idea that ghosts used doorways or floor levels appropriate to their time, I'd certainly not suggest that you believed in such things in any way, or that your ghost tour operation was anything other than a simple amusement for passers by. I certainly wasn't implying that you were part of an elite team of government funded paranormal investigative operatives. Nope, nothing could be further from my mind.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 4th Jan '06 2:22PM
2708 Posts
This question came up at lunch, and I thought, where better to ask it?

What is the difference between enchilladas, burritos, fajitas and chimichangas?

Spanners*
Wed 4th Jan '06 4:14PM
4597 Posts
Ooh I used to know that. One's crispy, one's floppy, one's made like a wrap and one you have to put together yourself. But I don't know which order. Ooh and I think one may be covered in cheese.
Quesedillas are the flat ones with 2 crispy shell things sandwiching cheese and meat or beans.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 4th Jan '06 5:41PM
4213 Posts
burritos - prefolded

fajitas - fold it yourself

chimichangas - folded and fried

enchilada - more complex proposition like a burrito cooked in sauce.

Malley
Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9Number9 Number9Number9
Fri 6th Jan '06 12:33PM
55 Posts
Esoteric - I like abstruse. I had to use a thesaurus though, on Word.

When in Rome do as the Romans do...is this the only city that this applies to?

Has anybody been to Rome and acted like a Parisian/Berliner or New Yorker? What happens?

What's the best phrase or coloquialism your dad used when you were a kid? I like 'I could eat a scabby horse' (or 'oss if you're from Bradford) meaning that 'e was 'ungry.

http://www.the-echo.co.uk

For the best band in Leeds, honest.

Roooaaaaarrr!!!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 6th Jan '06 12:37PM
2708 Posts
My dad always used to say "home again, home again, clippity clop".

It's pretty self explanatory, although I'm not sure if it's actually a colloquialism. And I always wanted to turn it into a little poem, but I could never work out what it should be...

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 6th Jan '06 12:40PM
212 Posts

Malley was bold enough to comment:

What's the best phrase or coloquialism your dad used when you were a kid? I like 'I could eat a scabby horse' (or 'oss if you're from Bradford) meaning that 'e was 'ungry.

Throughout my childhood, my dad was wont to say 'I'm going to eat the world!' (meaning that he was hungry and was going to eat a lot of things), which would always prompt my sister and I to quickly point out to him that this would involve eating a lot of things which would be unpleasant, such as tarmac, electricity pylons, human hair, milton keynes etc. However I think we sincerely believed that if he wanted to he could eat the world, and held him in awe as a result.

I also liked it when my dad would exclaim loudly 'Gordon Bennett!' (meaning, 'oh no, things have gone awry'), which people seldom do these days. Interestingly Gordon Bennett is the name of Alan Bennett's brother, Gordon.

Loo Rahhh
Don't kick my bum, don't kick my bum.
Fri 6th Jan '06 2:33PM
56 Posts
Oh my Mildred, have you forgotten the best one of all, which father would go insane if he knew I was about to share:

'Off you go to snooter land to snoot like the kangaroos'

WHAT? Why are the kangaroos snooting? why? why? and is snoot really a valid word for sleeping?

'Great gringles!' is also a phrase he uses to state that things have gone awry....and 'come along there lad' a sign that he wants Mildred or I to wash up.....confusing....

Spanners*
Sat 7th Jan '06 12:31AM
4597 Posts
I've got a colleague who says 'Right said Jack' in pretty much every situation. When getting up, when sitting down, when having a cuppa, when connecting a contribution circuit, when connecting a BNC to a co-ax cable. It always seems relevant. I think I need to learn more of these all-purpose phrases.

I've never snooted a kangaroo. They never let me. Maybe I need better aftershave.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 7th Jan '06 1:19PM
4213 Posts

I've got a colleague who says 'Right said Jack' in pretty much every situation.

I have a collegue who does that sort of thing and it makes me want to kill him!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 7th Jan '06 4:12PM
4678 Posts
Not by dad, by my mum:

'I could sleep on a chicken's lip'

Always made me giggle, especially when picturing the precarious balancing act that would be needed

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Sat 7th Jan '06 4:17PM
1558 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
My dad always used to say "home again, home again, clippity clop".

It's pretty self explanatory, although I'm not sure if it's actually a colloquialism. And I always wanted to turn it into a little poem, but I could never work out what it should be...

I mother used to use the phrase 'Home again, Home again, muffins for tea' but there were seldom if ever muffins awaiting me. I still like the phrase though and use it myself on occasion.
[edit]also 'Home James and don't spare the horses'

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 8th Jan '06 11:13PM
2522 Posts

I've got a colleague who says 'Right said Jack' in pretty much every situation.

i have a colleague who says 'right said frederica' constantly. he also says 'we're off to see the wizard' 'ooh ahh cantona' and 'why did they do that to you johnny?'.

how come public schools aren't open to the public?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 8th Jan '06 11:18PM
4213 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

how come public schools aren't open to the public?

They are, just rich members of the public!

What bugs me is that they can be called public or private schools and it always means the same thing, that makes no sense!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To General Merriment 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy