Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Sleep deprivation - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 29th Nov '05 11:33AM
2708 Posts
I just fell asleep at my desk - for the third time this morning.

I wouldn't mind if I had the good night to go with it, but really a quiet night in that leads to this level of tiredness just isn't cricket, or any other related sport

Sympathy please!

Loo Rahhh
Don't kick my bum, don't kick my bum.
Tue 29th Nov '05 11:49AM
56 Posts
I think you may have succumbed to hibernation syndrome - this is where winter leads us to shut down and become incapable of anything other than quiet nights in and sleeping....yet leaves us utterly exhausted at all times....a dangerous affliction I have been suffering from for about three weeks now (also leads one to eat 2/3 of packet of bourbons in one go...hmmmm)

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Tue 29th Nov '05 1:14PM
212 Posts
Poor Amanshu! have some sympathy:

I too am suffering from hibernation syndrome, as diagnosed by Loo Rahhh, and it does seem to involve eating inordinate amounts of chocolate, so far, and being inexplicably very tired oh well, Spring is only, er, three or four months away!

Good luck with staying awake until hometime

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 29th Nov '05 1:23PM
4597 Posts
I like that your sympathy meter goes up to 11. However your sympathy for Amanshu seems to be at zero
I've been feeling pretty vague all day myself. My morning pretty much consisted of sitting at my desk, doing nothing and staring at my screen with this sort of expression

Wake up everybody! There's a wonderful world out there!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Tue 29th Nov '05 1:35PM
212 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I like that your sympathy meter goes up to 11. However your sympathy for Amanshu seems to be at zero

That's because my sympathy meter malfunctioned with all the acres of sympathy I felt for the sleepridden Amanshu (about 26 acres, as it happens), thus causing it to read '0' when it should have read '17'!
Tut tut, bad sympathy meter...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 29th Nov '05 1:41PM
2708 Posts

Wake up everybody! There's a wonderful world out there!

Ah... but in my head there's is also a wonderful dreamlike world that if I chose to shut my eyes I'd be visiting any... second......

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 29th Nov '05 2:14PM
4678 Posts
I've recently abandoned the attempt to stay awake all afternoon at work, and resign myself to a 15-minute doze with my head propped in front of the monitor so it looks as though I'm staring intently at it. However, this does often lead to kind of flailing spasm as I drift off, but I suppose at least they entertain my co-workers

The Guv
I have no idea what to put here........ HELP ME
Wed 30th Nov '05 8:43AM
320 Posts
Become some sort of manager and you can close the door and do it in peace

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 30th Nov '05 10:51AM
2522 Posts

The Guv was bold enough to comment:
Become some sort of manager and you can close the door and do it in peace

or behave so badly that they put you in the broom cupboard like they did with me. wednesday afternoons are now one big snooze-a-thon for me.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 30th Nov '05 11:25AM
2708 Posts
On a bizarrely (in my head) related note, I got asked the following question the other day:

Imagine you were offered a job to write a series of reports. The job paid 50,000, however you would be working in a room on your own, you wouldn't be allowed to leave the room during the day. The room contains a desk, a chair and pen and paper. Nothing else. Nobody would be in to see you, and ultimately nobody would be reading any of the reports you produced. Would you take it?

Spanners*
Wed 30th Nov '05 12:24PM
4597 Posts
No chance. Money can only buy you quality of life and if you're spending 8 hours a day alone working on a thankless an pointless task then it so isn't worth it.

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 30th Nov '05 12:59PM
2522 Posts

No chance. Money can only buy you quality of life and if you're spending 8 hours a day alone working on a thankless an pointless task then it so isn't worth it.

but its an extra 8 hours you could spend sleeping. it would solve amanshu's sleep deprivation problem AND give him some extra spends!

Loo Rahhh
Wed 30th Nov '05 1:02PM
56 Posts
Oh my God, you have so just described my job! argh - how depressing. I work in a room by myself, hid in a horrid little corridor, confirming the legal name of companies.....the only contact with people I have is our client and my bosses e-mailing me to tell me off....I can practically feel my soul draining away....

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 30th Nov '05 1:16PM
2708 Posts
I think it's time to get a new job...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Nov '05 1:28PM
4213 Posts

I'd be tempted.
It depends on your home life.
If you had kids it might be worth doing it to improve their quality of life.
Most people I know in their 20s who pull 50K don't work 8 hours a day they work 10-12 hours a day and often end up working weekends as well.
At the moment if I had a 50K 5 day a week job I'd probably try and drop to 3 days a week for 30k.

Now that my friends is living.....

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 1st Dec '05 5:24PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

...or just learn the art of desk-snoozing!

I'd definitely take the 50k a year job if the work wasn't monitored. I'd sleep all day at work, then have 16 free hours for fun each day and the cash to afford it!

Seems like there's a lot of bored office-desk-job-workers here. Does anyone actually have a desk job they find rewarding?

Mine is only rewarding in that there's a lot of spare time to myself, but it's really quite nice compared to some jobs I've had...

Spanners*
Thu 1st Dec '05 8:56PM
4597 Posts
OK yeah if I wasn't monitored and had no targets to meet and could sleep/meditate/exercise/draw pictures of dragons all day then it would be cool.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 2nd Dec '05 1:12PM
212 Posts

OK yeah if I wasn't monitored and had no targets to meet and could sleep/meditate/exercise/draw pictures of dragons all day then it would be cool.

Don't you think though that, if you were being paid huge amounts of money merely to sleep/meditate/exercise/draw pictures of dragons, etc., whilst not having any human contact or purpose, you'd v quickly become v paranoid that your bosses were conducting some kind of dubious scientific experiment on you?

Of course it's possible that all our bosses are ALREADY conducting nasty experiments on us, unbeknown to us, on behalf of the government/aliens/fairies/witches/elves or some other conglomeration of wickedness.

I think I would definitely go mad quite quickly under these circumstances, but perhaps I am overly inclined to be paranoid!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 2nd Dec '05 1:15PM
212 Posts

The room contains a desk, a chair and pen and paper. Nothing else.

P.s. I definitely couldn't do any kind of job where there were NO PAPERCLIPS, or opportunities to paperclip. Even for ?50k.

Good lord, no.

Loo Rahhh
Fri 2nd Dec '05 1:22PM
56 Posts
Mildred, you'll be turning into George from 'Men Behaving Badly' soon and start considering paper clips to be your friends.

I definitely don't think my bosses are conducting any experiments on me as they seem completely unaware of my existence...in fact perhaps I don't even have a job here and it is all just an illuuuusion....

I really am interested to know if anyone out there enjoys their office job?....anyone? Perhaps we should all quit and pursue some sort of life fulfilling dream....

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 1:39PM
271 Posts

I wanna see a picture of a dragon...

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Fri 2nd Dec '05 1:39PM
758 Posts
Well I spend fairly significant amounts of time in my office, and I do enjoy most of what I do, but I'm not sure if it counts as an office job or not. Can I have a definition?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 2nd Dec '05 9:13PM
4213 Posts
I'd say an office job is one where you spend more time in the office than out of it.

My job is weird as though I work in an office all the time it isn't my companys office and in three years i've been in my actual office for about 3 weeks. (And glad of it too cos it's a shit hole!)

The major upside is that I can claim travel expenses because I'm not traveling to my place of employment.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 3rd Dec '05 12:16AM
2708 Posts
My office job isn't that bad - I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as there isn't a deadline coming up. If there is then ti's hell for leather! Otherwise I browse the forums, and generally have a laugh.

I just wish it was less than an hours commute

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 3rd Dec '05 4:37PM
4678 Posts

Loo Rahhh was bold enough to comment:
Mildred, you'll be turning into George from 'Men Behaving Badly' soon and start considering paper clips to be your friends.

What's wrong with that?! Some of my best friends are paperclips

Loo Rahhh
Wed 4th Jan '06 6:06PM
56 Posts

Hah - I just did!

Spanners*
Wed 4th Jan '06 6:26PM
4597 Posts

Hah - I just did!

Tell us of your new job Loo Rahhh, tell us! The exciting world of novelty cheese carving not working out for you anymore?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 4th Jan '06 7:29PM
2708 Posts
Outstanding! There should be more of that in the world

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Thu 5th Jan '06 7:51AM
242 Posts

I really am interested to know if anyone out there enjoys their office job?....anyone? Perhaps we should all quit and pursue some sort of life fulfilling dream....

I've got to say I like my office job, but it's probably mostly the people and the atmosphere.

Loo Rahhh
Thu 5th Jan '06 12:31PM
56 Posts

Hah - I just did!

Tell us of your new job Loo Rahhh, tell us! The exciting world of novelty cheese carving not working out for you anymore?

Well, my dear, well: I am to run off to the magical land of another law firm where I will be a minion for people different to those who I am currently a minion for. May not sound exciting but it means working for the firm who have given me a training contract so a good chance to get to know the place! AND I get to escape all this hideousness that is my current job!!!

Would much rather run from the law (long arm of or otherwise) and dedicate my life to novelty cheese carving......cheeessseee.....the cheese would never make me do photocopying or give me unreasonable deadlines...the cheese is always a friend.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy