By bye hackers
TDDO Firefox Extension - 1 to 30
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 1st Dec '05 10:15PM
2708 Posts
Yesterday I updated my work version of Firefox to version 1.5
Obviously this then meant that I had to go back through and rehash all my old extensions to make them work again. Not fun

However in the process I stumbled across an extension called goonmenu by a guy called roachfiend. This is a simple little extension to allow you to navigate around the something awful forums in firefox using only your context menu.

All well and good I hear you say. However because I was bored at work, and really had nothing better to do, and I'd just been hacking at extensions anyway, I then proceeded to go a little bit mad... OR possible sane. Either way, I proudly present a TDDOMenu a little firefox extension that allows you to browse TDDO from your context menu!

Let me know what you think! ]

EDIT: Hmmm... It appears Firefox isn't automatically picking it up as an extension when you download it. Just open it with Firefox and it'll work fine!

EDIT2: Updated link to work...!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:09AM
1673 Posts
Erm, I've tried, but nothing happens at all! I downloaded it and selected "open with Firefox.exe" but, well, nothing. Checked the Extensions list and there's nothing new on there. What am I doing wrong?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:21AM
2708 Posts
Interesting... I'm guessing that it's not even coming up with the Installation box then? Not sure.

Try saving it to your desktop, then opening up firefox. Drag the desktop icon into the open copy of Firefox and let go. It should catch it that way...

What version of Friefox are you using?

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:24AM
4597 Posts
I got it to install eventually by saving it to disk, closing firefox and then running the file. I had to select that I wanted to run it with firefox as it had no preset associations.
So this is going to sound dumb but how do I get up my context menu?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:34AM
2708 Posts
Right click in firefox to bring up the menu

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:35AM
2708 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I got it to install eventually by saving it to disk, closing firefox and then running the file. I had to select that I wanted to run it with firefox as it had no preset associations.

Damnit - it worked fine with mine... I'm probably missing something really simple, but I can't work out how to get Firefox to automatically recognise it

EDIT: Ah, I see - Spanners, is thedaddy on an apache or nt server?

Spanners*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:48AM
4597 Posts
Dude that's mega! I am so impressed!

TheDaddy is on an Linux machine with an Apache web server. Does that make a difference client side?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:51AM
2708 Posts
Outstanding! Would it be possible for you to add the following line to the .htaccess file:

AddType application/x-xpinstall xpi

? Apparently the server needs that if firefox is to recognise it...

And don't be too impressed yet - if the post Xmas update works, then I'll be impressed...! But it never will

Spanners*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 11:15AM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Outstanding! Would it be possible for you to add the following line to the .htaccess file:
AddType application/x-xpinstall xpi

It is done! Someone wanna test it out?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 11:32AM
2708 Posts

Someone wanna test it out?

Just tried... crash and burn I'll keep looking and see if I can find out what's wrong with it!

EDIT: Got it - it appears there's some javascript involved, so I'll sort it out tonight and have it up and running then!

The Guv
I have no idea what to put here........ HELP ME
Fri 2nd Dec '05 3:16PM
320 Posts
This sounds great I cant wait till its up and running

Malcolm*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 3:44PM
1673 Posts

Interesting... I'm guessing that it's not even coming up with the Installation box then? Not sure.

Try saving it to your desktop, then opening up firefox. Drag the desktop icon into the open copy of Firefox and let go. It should catch it that way...

What version of Friefox are you using?

Tried that - it did have some effect - the URL in the bar at the top went blank, and the hourglass symbol came up and never went away! I'm using Portable Firefox v 1.07 - as I understand it, this works just the same way as normal but just takes slightly longer to launch. It's fine with another extension I installed. Still, though, could that be the problem?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 3:59PM
2708 Posts
Quite possibly - I haven't tried it with many versions of Firefox, so I don't know for sure... I'll look into it!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 4:53PM
2708 Posts
Okay, you should now be able to install it from here

Apologies if the page looks familiar, I was little pushed for time

It'll probably complaining about including stuff from thedaddy, so you'll just have to decide how trusting you're going to be...

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 2nd Dec '05 5:51PM
1558 Posts
Works like a charm, although it would be even nicer if you could get it to sit on the menu bar at the top?

By the way, if you read Something Awful, you might want to have a look at the SALastRead extension. That's a masterpiece of extensionism.

Spanners*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 6:04PM
4597 Posts
Yeah if it's all sorted out we can integrate it into the forum properly. Status bar sound like the best place for people?

Edit: Nah that looked crap. I've put it and the RSS link on the bottom-right of the front page.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 7:46PM
2708 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
Works like a charm, although it would be even nicer if you could get it to sit on the menu bar at the top?

The navigation menu bar? Or the bookmark one? Or even the File type menu thing at the top?
Hell, I could even give it it's own toolbar I reckon...

It should be possible, it'll just take me a bit of time to work out how...

By the way, if you read Something Awful, you might want to have a look at the SALastRead extension. That's a masterpiece of extensionism.

I don't I'm afraid, I just stumbled across it, and thought it was a neat idea!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 9:16PM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
I'm using Portable Firefox v 1.07 - as I understand it, this works just the same way as normal but just takes slightly longer to launch. It's fine with another extension I installed. Still, though, could that be the problem?

Hmmm... It appears there are some problems with Firefox Portable and extensions see the known issues

So I'm not sure if it's something to do with that or what...
Could you try installing goonmenu and see if it's specific to this type of extension?

Spanners*
Fri 2nd Dec '05 9:47PM
4597 Posts

The navigation menu bar? Or the bookmark one? Or even the File type menu thing at the top?
Hell, I could even give it it's own toolbar I reckon...

It should be possible, it'll just take me a bit of time to work out how...

Ooh did you mean actual browser menu bar or forum menu bar? If you can get it onto the browser menu bar then great but as I said, I tried it on the forum menu and status bars and they both looked bad. Have now got it on the front page.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 2nd Dec '05 10:01PM
2708 Posts

Ooh did you mean actual browser menu bar or forum menu bar?

Yeah I saw it I should be able to get it on the browser menu bar - although it's possible I might just be able to make it available to go on there and you'll have to actually put it there...

Having a little trouble working out how to do it though - my main resource is down

Malcolm*
Sat 3rd Dec '05 12:37AM
1673 Posts

Hmmm... It appears there are some problems with Firefox Portable and extensions see the known issues

So I'm not sure if it's something to do with that or what...
Could you try installing goonmenu and see if it's specific to this type of extension?

Ah, OK - I'll try it when I get back to work on Wednesday. (I've got proper Firefox at home and the extension's excellent!) However, as I said, I've installed extensions at work with no probs so far...

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 3rd Dec '05 1:10AM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
However, as I said, I've installed extensions at work with no probs so far...

Yeah... that's what worries me...

Sorted - you should be able to upgrade it through Tools - Extensions as well (fingers crossed)

The Guv
Sat 3rd Dec '05 2:33PM
320 Posts
This still aint working for me
any ideas on what i should be doing ?

I have tried installing with left click and right click and to no avail

help

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 3rd Dec '05 3:16PM
2708 Posts

The Guv was bold enough to comment:
This still aint working for me
any ideas on what i should be doing ?

I have tried installing with left click and right click and to no avail

help

Where are you trying to load it from? The main page or the link above?

When you left click the link what happens? Have you tried saving it and then drag and dropping it into firefox?

The Guv
Sun 4th Dec '05 6:50AM
320 Posts
Bingo got it

Nice piece of work guys

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 6th Jan '06 4:48PM
2708 Posts
Ah, it appears I made an ever so slight error in the code here... if you want to get the latest updates for this extension, then you'll need to re-download the newest version... Sorry about, it won't happen again, promise

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 10th Jan '06 11:01PM
2708 Posts

Ah, it appears I made an ever so slight error in the code here... if you want to get the latest updates for this extension, then you'll need to re-download the newest version... Sorry about, it won't happen again, promise

Except it did

Anyway, the latest update should definitely positively work now. And should continue to update normally.

I chucked in some options for you all so you could decide where exactly you wanted the menu to be.

EDIT: IT appears there's some problems with the latest build. I'll have to wait until tonight before I can fix it. Until then do not use this.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 12th Jan '06 7:28AM
2708 Posts
Sorted now. Let me know if anyone has any problems.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 3rd Apr '06 9:42PM
2708 Posts
I thought the Anniversary was probably the perfect time for a long overdue update for this. I've added in a text toolbar to help with formatting when you're addinga new post, updated the icons a bit and played around with the options.

Oh, and I renamed it TDDO Tools because it seemed more appropriate You can either redownload it from the main page (or here or wait for your updater to catch up in a few days...

Malcolm*
Tue 4th Apr '06 9:33AM
1673 Posts
Boo hoo!

"Firefox could not install this item because of a failure in Chrome Registration. Please contact the author about this problem, or click View Details for more information."

and then, after clicking on View Details:

"Chrome Registration failed for Extension '{42F36D3F-646E-4b39-9441-8E41314B58E3}' when calling nsIXULChromeRegistry::installPackage with this chrome path: jar:file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ewan/Application%20Data/
Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/wzf2c900.default/extensions/
%7B42F36D3F-646E-4b39-9441-8E41314B58E3%7D/chrome/tddotools.jar!/
content/tddotools/ (profile extension = true). Perhaps this path does not exist within the chrome JAR file, or the contents.rdf file at that location is malformed?"

and the TDDO menu has vanished, but the right-click one is still there. It's still got falling snow as its background, though. My falling snow, I might add

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy