Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Text Only Forum - Oooooh - 1 to 12
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 15th Dec '05 6:01PM
4597 Posts
OK I have started work on this and it can be found at http://forum.thedaddy.org/lofi
It's a very cut down version of the script with no pictures, restricted functions, no CSS and very little javascript so it should work pretty well on pocket PCs and less feature-rich browsers.
Pretty much the only functions I'm putting in there are making/updating posts and threads, logging in and out, searching and sending PMs.
Work is in progress so over the next few days you will see more and more pages appearing there. Can anyone with a pocket PC or suchlike (Malcolm and General?) give it a go and sort me some feedback?
Cheers

sp

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 15th Dec '05 8:07PM
1673 Posts
My goodness, that's marvellous! Works really well, really quickly, looks great (better on Pocket IE than in Firefox actually) and, best of all, contains hardly any data... meaning it'll be really cheap to use over a mobile phone connection! (how about also disabling Signatures, just to squeeze a few more bytes out?)

Haven't tested it all, though, because the Login function didn't work (presumably not made yet) so I couldn't actually post from the pocketpc. Absolutely great, though - thank you Spanners - I'm well impressed! You'll be getting more posts from me sitting on trains from now on. If only we'd had this while the Odyssey thread was being made...

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Spanners*
Thu 15th Dec '05 8:16PM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
how about also disabling Signatures, just to squeeze a few more bytes out?

Good call, I might lose the custom tags too.

Haven't tested it all, though, because the Login function didn't work (presumably not made yet) so I couldn't actually post from the pocketpc.

Yeah it's just got the viewing pages so far but I'm slowly working my way through. Should be able to post in the next day or 2.

I was so dreading this job because it involves re-engineering over half the files, but now it's started it's not so scary.
Also wanted to wait until I had finished my last batch of updates as from this point on I will have 2 sets of files to keep synced with new changes. Ouch!

Spanners*
Sat 17th Dec '05 10:15PM
4597 Posts
OK you should be able to post, make threads, send messages and do other main operations. Let me know if anything don't work.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Spanners*
Sun 1st Jan '06 4:22AM
4597 Posts
Any feedback on this? Is it working for people?

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 5th Jan '06 11:01AM
1673 Posts
Ah, sorry!

Yes, indeed, it works marvellously. I'm very impressed! Thank you Spanners!

One thing that occurred to me, though, is that it might be nice to make it a bit more obvious from the front page. Web authoring guidelines recommend that you produce a text-only version, for accessibility reasons, so well done for that! However, I'm not sure most people would understand "Low-fi". Any chance there could be a "text only" link up at the top left, or something, instead? And the text-only site could have a matching one that brings you back to the normal version?

Excuse me for mentioning it, but can I interest you in a panoramic print of York - http://www.panoramicyork.co.uk ? No? Oh well - just thought I'd ask.

Spanners*
Tue 10th Jan '06 6:45PM
4597 Posts
Nice. OK I've made those changes. Except I didn't put the link to the text only version at the top-left, I tried various positions but everything else looked out of place. If anyone's got any thoughts then I'm open to suggestions.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Jan '06 2:24PM
2708 Posts
It appears that the log on for the text only forum doesn't work... I don't think it's encrypting it properly/at all...

I also noticed that the graphical log on came up with the xmas theme button, but only once - when I went back to the page it was fine. So I'm not quite sure what that's all about... probably just my cache playing silly buggers

Spanners*
Thu 26th Jan '06 2:29PM
4597 Posts
Huh. I just successfully logged in and am indeed posting this here post in glorious monochrome.
On the text only it doesn't encypt your password client side (because that uses far too much javascript) but does it when it hits the server. Should still work though...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Jan '06 2:47PM
2708 Posts
Ah, I see - it's not accepting passwords that include uppercase! But if you type it in lowercase its fine...

Spanners*
Thu 26th Jan '06 3:19PM
4597 Posts
haha you've cracked it! I shall remedy the situation this very minute!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Jan '06 3:21PM
2708 Posts
Thank you kind sir

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy