Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Firefox extensions - 1 to 14
Return To Techy Corner

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 24th Mar '06 9:41AM
2708 Posts
It's been a while since we've ahd a firefox extensions theread and I was wondering what everyone was using these days?

Personally I'm using:
Adblock Plus - Like Adblock, only better.

Tab Mix Plus/Mouse gestures/Back is Close -
These work surprisingly well together. Tab Mix Plus gives you complete control of how tabs open up (which can lead to multiple tabs). Back is close allows you to close a tab by hitting back, if there's no history for that tab and it's not the last tab. Mouse gestures allow you to use mouse gestures (specifically the back gesture). Overall it makes some pretty swift browsing!

Wiss RSS reader - an integrated RSS reader. It's not great, since it doesn't quite do what I want (and it looks a little amateurish) but it's the best I could find. Newsfox wasn't quite right either, and neither was sage, so this is what I ended up with

Search Engine Ordering - rearrange the order of searchengines and delete the ones you don't want.

IE tab - open those pesky ie only pages in IE in a new tab.

Resize-search-box/stop-or-reload-button - greater control of the toolbar.

Fasterfox - speed tweaks.

Linkvisitor - allows you to mark links as visited/not-visited either individually or across a page. Very useful for browsing the forums.

TinyURLCreator - create tinyURLs on the fly.

Firesomething - now running Mozilla Superape!

TDDOMenu - of course

MR Tech Local Install - gives better control over extensions (and themes, but I don't use them). For instance all my extensions that have options are now in a drop down list off the tools menu.

Wow. I hadn't realised I had quite so many!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 30th Mar '06 10:59PM
4597 Posts
Currently I have Firesomething, Sage (RSS reader), Torrentools Toolbar, HTML Validator and TDDOMenu.
However after looking at those fine specimins I have added Back Is Close IETab, Fasterfox, TinyURL and Adblock.

Also I'm just adjusting to the immense joy that is 'Beer oclock 1.2'

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 25th Oct '06 8:40PM
4213 Posts
Just got me some Firefox 2.0 bye bye IE.

Can anyone recomend any extensions that work with 2.0 as most of them seem to be not compatable including the beloved forum tools

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Oct '06 9:27AM
2708 Posts
Yeah, sorry, the forum tools will be soon - I'm just having some last minute problems I need to sort out...

Apart from that and Tab Mix Plus all of the extensions I've already listed seem to work. I did however find that I needed to reinstall them. Don't know what that's all about...

Also for those of you like me who can't stand the new 2.0 theme you can download the 1.5 theme here

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 26th Oct '06 9:57AM
811 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
Can anyone recomend any extensions that work with 2.0 as most of them seem to be not compatable including the beloved forum tools

A lot of them may work, but just have the field set to say that it doesn't work with 2.0. If you open FF and type "about:config" as the URL (no quotes).
Then create a new boolean variable named "extensions.checkCompatibility" and set it to false. This will stop it checking for whether the extensions work and just use them. They may not work, but all of mine do.

Amanshu was clean-shaven enough to comment:
Also for those of you like me who can't stand the new 2.0 theme

Quit livin' in the past!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 26th Oct '06 10:18AM
4213 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

General was bold enough to comment:

A lot of them may work, but just have the field set to say that it doesn't work with 2.0.

Cheers AG I was thinking surely it can't have changed that much with the new version.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Oct '06 12:34PM
2708 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

Quit livin' in the past!

Not all change is good. Sometimes it's He-man set in space.

Spanners*
Thu 26th Oct '06 1:40PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

Not all change is good. Sometimes it's He-man set in space.

Or Fraggle Rock as a cartoon
That's some useful info AG, cheers. I was putting off my upgrade 'cos of this very problem but now I'll get onto it.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 1st Feb '07 5:25PM
4213 Posts
I'm loving the SMB3 Theme for Firefox at the moment

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4345/

Spanners*
Tue 6th Feb '07 9:13PM
4597 Posts
Just got hold of Greasemonkey and Download Statusbar which are mighty.
Greasemonkey allows you to add custom javascripts to any page. And Download statusbar is a great little download manager that will keep downloads going in the background even if you close your browser.

OK they're both kinda spoddy but very useful

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 7th Feb '07 9:47AM
2708 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Just got hold of Greasemonkey and Download Statusbar which are mighty.

OK they're both kinda spoddy but very useful

Yeah, I've been using Download Statusbar for a while now, and it is indeed mighty! It's also remarkably useful for keeping your download manager under control!

I've also wised up to the joy that is NoScript - it's a little annoying at times admittedly when you can't work out why a site isn't working properly, but it does spend the download time somewhat, and I've got to admit there are a lot of webpages where it makes no difference!

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Thu 19th Jul '07 8:34PM
505 Posts
I've just discovered CoolIris. It took a few moments to get used to, but I think it has a lot of potential to make life quite a lot quicker and nicer. Basically it opens a resizable, scrollable preview pane in the middle of the screen if you mouseover a link in a particular way, which then banishes itself when you move away.

Useful example: it's great in combination with First Look on this 'ere forum - you can CoolIris the main thread page for a post to quickly read the context without having to open in a new tab.

EDIT: Blow me down it has this funky little stack thing as well ... ooh!

Spanners*
Tue 9th Sep '08 11:06AM
4597 Posts
I've just found this extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/974
Oh yes!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 9th Sep '08 8:30PM
4213 Posts
I've been using this recently to spoof my user agent settings.
It's really handy if you want to make a page that has to respond to different browsers or if you want to do things like view a page the way it appears on a mobile.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy