By bye hackers
Soft Drinks - 1 to 13
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 2nd Jul '06 2:24PM
4597 Posts
Sarsaparilla 8/10
I've been wanting to try this stuff for years, having seen it drunk by so many cowboys on US TV shows and I eventually found some in Selfridges last week.

Yum!

This came in cordial form so it ain't fizzy like I hear you oft get it in traditional places but it's still very good. Like a less sickly cream soda with a dandelion and burdock twang.
Apparently the Sarsaparilla plant is also known as Wild Liquorice and I can see where they're getting that idea from yet liquorice mings and this is very tasty

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 11th Jul '06 6:35PM
4678 Posts
Coke Zero 7/10
Anyone (in the UK) who frequents fast food / takeaway shops will already have tried this - it's the type of coke sold in a lot of arabic / islamic countries and is seemingly universally supplied to kebab shops. I always used to presume it was some sort of bootleg Diet Coke as the taste was obviously different, however it turns out it's exactly the same as the stuff they've been selling for years in the U.S., having a different balance of aspartime and phenylalanine than regular Diet Coke. As such, it still tastes better than every other diet cola out there, except of course for the original Diet Coke, which retains it's mantle with aplomb
Second opinion by Diziet on 11th Jul '06 8/10
i actually think it tastes better than diet coke. it goes very well with wodka also
Second opinion by General on 12th Jul '06 8/10
I'm supprised that it has taken Coke so long to launch a product like this. It is the same concept as Pepsi Max i.e. a diet drink marketed with extreme sports and scantily clad ladies rather than metropolitan ladies and scantily clad blokes like Diet Coke.
What puzzles me is why it has taken them about 10 years to launch a rival.
In terms of taste at very low temperatures it has a much closer taste to regular coke however if not drunk ice cold it seems to develop a slighty unpleasant chemical twang.
Second opinion by Amanshu on 10th Aug '06 6/10
While a reasonably nice drink I found it a rather bland taste, without any of the flavour of diet coke. I wouldn't not drink it, I just found it rather... lacking somehow.
  Average Rating 7.25

Spanners*
Wed 13th Dec '06 9:55PM
4597 Posts
Tesco Strawberry Smoothie 9/10
A litre of strawberries, bananas and apples for just ?1.97. It's delicious and it's so damn healthy it'll make you feel young again
Second opinion by Spanners on 13th Dec '06 9.5/10
mmmmmmmmm
    Average Rating 9.25

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 24th Nov '07 8:33PM
2522 Posts
7-up 2/10
i needed a vodka mixer and procured 2 litres of this during a panic buy in the shop earlier. i was distracted by some scallies who i thought were going to steal my bike which was parked outside and i just grabbed the first 2 litre bottle i clapped eyes on.

two hours and 2 litres later i feel like someone has pumped my stomach full of toxic gas. actually, i felt this way after just one glass but i persisted because mmm vodka.

this sugary, sickly, noxious liquid should be consigned to one of Hell's deepest circles for eternity and without delay. no wonder Americans go to war with other people - the amount of sugar in this shit is enough to make anyone feel like they're the tastiest bastard on the face of the planet.

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Thu 28th Feb '08 2:00PM
624 Posts
Fentimans Ginger Beer 9/10
Fizzy. Ginger. Organic. Nice. A bit too fizzy at times and makes me sneeze - a quality shared by champagne.

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Tue 26th Aug '08 12:17PM
288 Posts
Ribena - blackcurrant original 8/10
A classic. A little on the expensive side, but worth it every time! hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Second opinion by Demian on 26th Aug '08 10/10
The King, indeed, 'The Daddy' of all soft drinks. If prepared according to the instructions on the bottle a single glass contains enough sugar to take on the collective teeth of Scarborough, but hey, if it didn't it wouldn't taste so good!
 Average Rating 9

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Wed 10th Sep '08 6:14PM
169 Posts
Home Made Organic Ginger Beer 0/10
As a drink ginger beer is generally an aquired taste, one I happen to like. Home Made Organic Ginger Beer is a product I had the misfortune to sample in the West Highlands and frankly tasted like soggy armpits. Need I say more.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 13th Sep '08 9:36PM
4678 Posts
Freeway 'Iron Brew' 1/10
As far as Irn Bru goes, this makes a very good tippex thinner.

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Mon 3rd Nov '08 3:38PM
510 Posts
Paperclips and dust 0/10
One of those situations where time slows down in order to prolong the misery.

Firstly, one is confused and perturbed by the stale, arid sensation upon placing cup to lip, as though one was about to consume some kind of ghost-drink.

Secondly, the shocking realisation that something is horribly amiss as what cascades into one's parched mouth is not cool, clean water but a ramshackle assortment of paperclips and a Philips-head screw, all liberally coated with the dust of ages.

The moral of the story: if you are going to store your paperclips in an old cup from the water cooler, ensure that it is positioned on your desk in such a way that you are unable to mistake it for the actual real water in an identical cup.
Second opinion by Demian on 12th Nov '08 1/10
I have no wish to try this beverage. One point for Allen Key's hilarious review.
 Average Rating 0.5

Spanners*
Wed 12th Nov '08 8:13AM
4597 Posts
Coffee 10/10
The first cup of coffee in a morning is a fine thing - slowly easing you into the day, lifting you up on a cloud of fresh-roasted loveliness.
I couldn't start my day without it!
Second opinion by Demian on 12th Nov '08 10/10
So much so that I actually get up half an hour early for work just so that I can enjoy a couple of cups of the good stuff.
    Average Rating 10

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Mon 30th Mar '09 10:47PM
169 Posts
De-cafinated Tea 9/10
I think its safe to say tea is generally the national drink. I certainly love it and must drink my way through a tea plantation a year. The only problem is after about 4pm another cup of tea leaves me buzzing (more caffein in tea than in coffee). But here comes decaf tea and it's great. Just like normal tea but minus the caffeine. Wish I had discovered it sooner. Only reason it doesn't get a ten is because the caffeinated version is better because of the caffeine.
Second opinion by Spanners on 31st Mar '09 8/10
A quality cuppa but if I'm going decaf I'll generally opt for a good fair trade decaf coffee instead.
 Average Rating 8.5

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 9th Apr '09 3:34PM
811 Posts
Milk 8/10
White liquid, served cold from the fridge. Excellent. Tastes great and what's more it's good for you in almost every way. Plus you can mix it with a variety of things (fruit, chocolate, kahlua) to make it taste exactly how you like. At some point I intend on making fizzy milk in a soda stream.

loses two points for having to be squeezed out of a cow.

Eburton
Forum Newbie
Sat 27th Oct '12 3:22PM
1 Posts
Eburton's has no Avatar
softdrinks 7/10
softdrinks are high in sugar and contains empty calories.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy