Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Phorum Meet 2006 - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 14th Jul '06 11:37AM
4597 Posts
Hello all
So would anyone be interested in a meet number 2 later in the year? Possible locations include Birmingham, Manchester and York. Obviously we've already donw Birmingham but it's good and central, there's much to do in York, it's a lovely place and there is a good forummer concentration up there (ooh and we could see Malcolm do one of his Ghost Tours), Manchester is also a grand town, in fact one I like to call home and has a good few forumers up there.
There has also been a proposal to combine it with Beeffest but that would require it to be in Birmingham.
And to remind you of the delights of last year's forum meet, here's the page - http://forum.thedaddy.org/meet.html

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Fri 14th Jul '06 11:57AM
242 Posts
Surely were it to be combined with Beeffest, it would be a Phorum Meat.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Fri 14th Jul '06 12:42PM
838 Posts
Me, me, I'm interested!!! Yes, yes, yes!!! The thought of another meet may even be enough to persuade the Deanery to start posting again...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 14th Jul '06 1:00PM
4678 Posts

Clara was bold enough to comment:
The thought of another meet may even be enough to persuade the Deanery to start posting again...

He's attempting to win the same award two years running, isn't he...

Anyways, I'll be there as wherever it is, and can offer accommodation (well, floor space / sofa / cushions) to a fair few people if it happens to be in Manchester.

I'd recommend giving a good couple fo months notice again like last year, so people have plenty of chance to plan ahead.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 14th Jul '06 1:09PM
212 Posts
This sounds like an excellent idea!

If we had the Meet in York, we could incorporate a PIGGY (Pudding Implementation Group of Greater York) meeting!

Spanners*
Fri 14th Jul '06 1:10PM
4597 Posts

I'd recommend giving a good couple fo months notice again like last year, so people have plenty of chance to plan ahead.

Yeah I think we should be looking at September/October sorta time which is why I'm getting the ball rolling now

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 14th Jul '06 2:25PM
1673 Posts
Yes- it was October last year, and if we're going to establish it as a regular event it'd be worth trying to stick to a predictable time of year (e.g. if it was always on the first weekend of October, or something).

Oooh, I can feel those awards coming along....

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 14th Jul '06 2:41PM
212 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
if we're going to establish it as a regular event it'd be worth trying to stick to a predictable time of year (e.g. if it was always on the first weekend of October, or something).

[Could I just tentatively stick my hand in the air and mention that I'm not free on the first weekend in October this year (i.e. Sat 30 Sept/Sun 1 Oct) because I shall be spending that weekend doing things related to Virginia Woolf (not leaping into the Ouse weighted down with stones, I hasten to assure you) with Whelk. I could try to rearrange it but we've already rearranged it once to allow Whelk to go and stay in a lighthouse and make books. That is all.]

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Fri 14th Jul '06 3:02PM
510 Posts
There's a party on the hill, will you come?
Bring your own bread and butter and a bun!

Count me in (with an early request that it's not on the weekend of 7th/8th October)!

Spanners*
Fri 14th Jul '06 3:12PM
4597 Posts
How's the 16th/17th of September for anyone? My shifts go a bit pear-shaped betwixt then and the 14th/15th of October. That being said how's the 14th/15th of October for anyone?

Malcolm*
Fri 14th Jul '06 3:30PM
1673 Posts
14th/15th September would probably be ruled out for both Kelly and me, as we'll be in the middle of a bigger, better version of this. October sounds better though!

Clara
Fri 14th Jul '06 3:45PM
838 Posts
14th/15th October good for me too. In fact, pretty much all of the weekends mentioned are. It looks like my social life peters out mid August!

I'd be happy to go anywhere, but the virtues of York are varied and many.

Malcolm*
Fri 14th Jul '06 4:02PM
1673 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:

I shall be spending that weekend doing things related to Virginia Woolf (not leaping into the Ouse weighted down with stones, I hasten to assure you) with Whelk. I could try to rearrange it but we've already rearranged it once to allow Whelk to go and stay in a lighthouse and make books. That is all.]

I'm sorry - I can't allow this to pass by without further questioning. It's far too intriguing. After a few moments I remembered that Whelk is a member of this very forum, second only to Deanery in his pervasive and rampant absenteeism. However, further questions remain. Specifically, please explain and elaborate:

• Is there really a lighthouse involved? If so, how, and which lighthouse?
  • Making books? That sounds lovely. Please tell us a bit more about that.

I think that's the extent of my wonderings for the moment.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 14th Jul '06 5:05PM
212 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Specifically, please explain and elaborate:

• Is there really a lighthouse involved? If so, how, and which lighthouse?
  • Making books? That sounds lovely. Please tell us a bit more about that.

I think that's the extent of my wonderings for the moment.

Ah yes, it does sound intriguing & lovely doesn't it? Mr Whelk is going to stay in a lighthouse in the shetlands (I'm not sure which one) for three days during which time he will be having 'a weekend of doing arts and crafts stuff, making journals etc.' - I'm afraid I don't know much more about it beyond that. The great thing about it is that it will be excellent preparation for the subsequent Virginia Woolf weekend, because Whelk will quite literally be going 'To The Lighthouse' and no doubt looking at 'The Waves'...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 16th Jul '06 7:29PM
4678 Posts
14-15 Oct is good with me. Anybody who can't make this date should probably say soon, cos it's looking pretty good for everyone else...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sun 16th Jul '06 8:33PM
2708 Posts
14th-15th October is good for me! In fact looking at it, it's the first free weekend I have! That's either a very good thing, or a very bad thing...

Anyway count me in

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 17th Jul '06 9:13AM
212 Posts
i'm free that weekend too & have provisionally put it in my diary - how exciting!

Spanners*
Mon 17th Jul '06 9:25AM
4597 Posts
This is sounding good! Now we just need the location...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 17th Jul '06 9:43AM
2708 Posts
Bummer, I forgot I was keeping that weekend free to celebrate my housemates birthday (which is on the monday). Might be able to get away with it still though. Assume I can and I'll check out the possibilities!

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Mon 17th Jul '06 10:13AM
510 Posts
14/15 Oct works for me! In fact, I'll have just got a nasty exam over and done with, so I'll be feeling particularly jovial

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Tue 18th Jul '06 9:38AM
212 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Now we just need the location...

Maybe it should be like the olympics (but without all the running about and wearing silly outfits) and we should all submit bids to host the Phorum Meet!

Spanners*
Mon 24th Jul '06 3:35PM
4597 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Now we just need the location...

Maybe it should be like the olympics (but without all the running about and wearing silly outfits) and we should all submit bids to host the Phorum Meet!

I'm liking this idea! OK so far the only suggestions are Birmingham, York and Manchester. Who wants to champion an area and come up with a pitch? Other areas will also be considered

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Mon 24th Jul '06 3:49PM
758 Posts
Well, I propse that a York Consortium be formed, comprising of Allen Key, Mildred, Clara, Malcolm and I to put forward a proposal for York. And anyone else York-based who I've missed out (sorry - it's not personal!) apart from Deanery, who I feel would somewhat ruin his legendary status of Biggest Posting Failure if he partook even of this kind of forum-related activity. He can feed in any ideas through Clara.

Alternatively, if no other York-based people want to, I'll do it. Except I'll still expect Malcolm to help.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 24th Jul '06 4:13PM
212 Posts
Yes yes yes, I'll join the York Consortium - and we can ask Gertrude to join us too as she is York-based!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Mon 24th Jul '06 5:02PM
579 Posts
I'll join, I'll join! Even though Kelly didn't ask me.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 24th Jul '06 5:03PM
4678 Posts
I shall present the case for Manchester and the many Manchester forummers (Swoop, Diziet, Arabstrap, NotTheBeard, The Guv, The Pharaoh, Tiddles, me - am I missing anyone?) tomorrow [EDIT: Actually, I'll wait till the weekend to give folks a chance] unless someone else bagsies it before then.

Also feel free to PM me with a supporting paragraph if you don't want to write the whole thing

Edit: Wow, and Feign... welcome back!

Clara
Tue 25th Jul '06 8:32AM
838 Posts
I'll join the York group, yes I will. I am also prepared to be a channel for Deanery's ideas, but I reserve the right to change them to suit my own ends if necessary.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Wed 26th Jul '06 2:00AM
1558 Posts
Nah, you go for it Demian, but remember to mention Manchester's weekly carnival of clowns, the holes of eternity or the tiny girl. And remember the event's taking place in September, so we could all go and see the giant cheese gigolo!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 26th Jul '06 5:31PM
4678 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
And remember the event's taking place in September, so we could all go and see the giant cheese gigolo!

It's actually in October, so it'll be Purple Parsnip Pimp season, woohoo

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 26th Jul '06 7:52PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
And remember the event's taking place in September, so we could all go and see the giant cheese gigolo!

It's actually in October, so it'll be Purple Parsnip Pimp season, woohoo

and that can only mean one thing.....mechanically enhanced aardvarks running wild in picadilly gardens and spraying everyone with ASBO, the new fragrance by Mr Scruff. october is my favourite month.

bring the Phorum Meet to Manchester!

you know it makes sense!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy