Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Phorum Meet 2006 - 121 to 142
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 5 of 5 - <<First  ... 2, 3, 4, 5 You cannot post to the Archive!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 6th Nov '06 4:44PM
4597 Posts
Sorry to hear that, was very much loooking forward to meeting you both. Hope the child appreciates the sacrifice you are making!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 6th Nov '06 4:54PM
4678 Posts
Dang, there goes 40% of the Manchester contingent

Ah well, maybe you can get the 'Diziet's Head On A Stick' back up and running in time?

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 6th Nov '06 6:01PM
2522 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Sorry to hear that, was very much loooking forward to meeting you both. Hope the child appreciates the sacrifice you are making!

yeah, we were really looking forward to meeting you all too

the kids will appreciate the sacrifice - especially as its pay week and they'll be spoilt rotten by me and the ginger fury!

i actually have a baby to take care of as well. his name's humphrey and he's the scruffiest, cutest kitten i've ever seen. he should be putting in an appearence on thedaddy some time soon

demian - i can try putting me and the fury's heads on a stick. then again, glove puppets might be a bit more interactive - what do you think

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 6th Nov '06 6:05PM
4678 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

demian - i can try putting me and the fury's heads on a stick. then again, glove puppets might be a bit more interactive - what do you think

Glove puppets or sock puppets, either would be hilarious - we'll have to take turns operating you both at the meet

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 7th Nov '06 9:45AM
2708 Posts
Yay! More peeps around on the forum whilst everybody else is off having fun! Yay!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 7th Nov '06 6:19PM
1673 Posts
Right, we are now entering the final stages of preparation. The sad loss of Diziet and Gingerfury does have one small upside in that it means that 100% of people now have accommodation sorted out, so we can move onto specifics.

(1) It'd be useful to know when (and maybe how) you're each planning to arrive in York on the Saturday - or, for the York-based attendees, to know when you'll be available from. The plan is to start the festivities in the early afternoon, but it should all still be possible if not everyone arrives at exactly the same time.

(2) Following the afternoon's treasure-hunt/chasing/thieving activity (don't worry, you'll receive instructions), we had thought it might be a nice idea to go on a boat trip up and down the River Ouse. They take an hour or so, there's a recorded commentary, and you can sit upstairs on the top deck or downstairs in the cafe bar. All very lovely. However, on closer examination it turns out that it'd cost ?6.50 per person, with no group discount available, and the latest one sets off at 3:10pm. So we'd still be left in the city centre with three hours to pass while waiting for the next activity. I would suggest, therefore, that for the added expense it probably isn't worth it. But what do you think?

(3) The Ghost Trail in the evening - starts at 7:30pm and takes just over an hour. Normal cost for that is ?4.00 per adult but there are various discount things available. Normally there's no problem with my bringing the odd friend or two free of charge, but since (a) it'll be quite a large group, and (b) I've specifically requested to be working that night so my employer is fully aware that you'll all be there, I'm not sure I can really do that. However, I'll check with my colleagues. So the upshot is that it'll cost a maximum of ?3.50 per person, but with any luck will be less than that. So what I need to know is (a) is that ok with you all, and (b) Do you each want to come? You don't have to, of course - no offence will be taken if you don't, but it'll mean the evening isn't 100% pub/restaurant-based, which would be nice.

(4) Restaurant is provisionally booked for 9:30pm as they didn't have enough space earlier than that. There'll be time for a drink somewhere first. It's the restaurant I mentioned, which is really quite cheap (?6.95 for any pizza or pasta, and usually some free garlic bread thrown in) but also very nice. However I don't want to just assume everyone wants to come, as some of you (Yorkers) may have other committments or any of you may want to save money - so, could you each confirm that you'd like to come?

(5) For the following day, the only thing we've got planned is to meet up for lunch - I'd like it to be in the marvellous pub with open fires and excellent food. However, they get very busy so, while they don't normally do bookings, I'd like to talk to them in advance about accommodating us. So, once again, if everyone could confirm their attendance / non-attendance, that would be great.

(6) Like I said, there's nothing further planned for Sunday, assuming people will be wanting to get home after lunch, but if anyone'd like further collective activities we could come up with something.

So, that's it I think! Please tell me (either in this thread or by private message):
- how you're getting to York
- when you'll be available from on the Saturday
- what you think about the boat decision
- whether you'd like to attend the ghost trail
- whether you'd like to attend Caesar's Ristorante & Pizzeria on Saturday evening
- whether you'd like to attend The Mason's Arms on Sunday
- what your plans might be for the rest of Sunday

And all will be well! Hurrah!

Spanners*
Tue 7th Nov '06 10:42PM
4597 Posts
Cool, Spanners, Oooood and Henrietta will be rocking up in an automobile about 1pm.
And we are generally up for everything

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 8th Nov '06 8:05AM
4678 Posts

Will be getting the train with Swoop and Feign

Just let us know wen you want us!

Happy to go with whatever everyone else decides

Definitely! And 3.50-4 quid is a bargain, don't risk the wrath of your emplyer by trying to reduce it any further

- whether you'd like to attend Caesar's Ristorante & Pizzeria on Saturday evening

Indubitably!

Irrefutably!

Could probably do with getting back to Manchester around teatime, but again, happy to go with the majority decision.

Cheers bro

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 8th Nov '06 8:56AM
838 Posts
Well I am planning to attend everything. Very happy to pay for the ghost trail. I'm not champing at the bit to go on a boat cruise, but if others want to do it, I won't be a party pooper.

Deanery will also be attending all bits. I think I'm safe in assuming he won't be putting his own answer on the thread!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 9th Nov '06 1:01PM
212 Posts

I have already got to it. I am in it. Right now.

Definitely available by lunchtime, or earlier if required!

I don't have strong feelings either way about the boat - if we did go on a boat trip could we somehow amalgamate it into the treasure trail as otherwise we might not have very long for that if we're not starting til 1pm ish and we have to get the boat at 3pm ish?

Yes, yes and yes

Yes please

Indeed I would.

No particular plans so I can fit round whatever other people would like to do

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Thu 9th Nov '06 1:07PM
288 Posts

Will be getting the train with Swoop and Demian

Whatever time suits

I can take it or leave it depending on the group majority, though it does look like the group majority is going to be "I can take it or leave it depending on the group majority", in which case a nice quaint Yorkshire pub will do me fine for more than the necessary amount of hours.

Yep, I've been prepping myself by looking at scary pictures so I can be all manly and fearless come the night.

How can I not given the huge sales pitch earlier in the thread? I want to be treated like a celeb and have the hungry press snapping my every mouthful.

Is that a pub? Hmm, oh go on then.

I'll head back with Swoop and Demian so whenever you turf them two out of your county.

And I don't think I have yet so I give a colossal amount of thanks for the organization of this.

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Thu 9th Nov '06 3:44PM
510 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:
Answers to Malcolm's questions

Ditto. Except for the part about being in York right now, which I'm not, but I will be on Saturday 18th.

I would also like to add massive thanks to Feign's colossal amount of thanks for the organization of this, which I believe gives a running total of Ginormous Thanks

Spanners*
Tue 14th Nov '06 4:22PM
4597 Posts
And you will all be happy to know that Dregan-on-a-stick shall be joining us for much of the fun

Edit: And a BrightonBabe-on-a-stick! Damn we're doing well.

Special prize for the best absent-forummer-on-a-stick!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Tue 14th Nov '06 4:45PM
579 Posts
I will be getting to York (from the far off land that is Osbaldwick) on my bike. Don't mind about the boat; Caesar's, ghosts and masons all sound marvellous. I've got to be at church on Sunday morning and again in the evening, but other than that I'll be around. When you're all warm and cosy in bed on Sunday morning, think of me in the church band, standing next to a teenager who has informed me that she needs to sing a tone higher than me (and therefore the rest of the group) at all times. Thus far, I have no evidence to suggest that she's lying.

I appear to have just mindlessly eaten my own bodyweight in chocolate cornflake cakes. Bugger.

Malcolm*
Wed 15th Nov '06 9:58AM
1673 Posts
And we're off!

Here, ladies and gentlemen, is The Plan (such as we know it so far):

Events will begin at 2:00pm in Ye Olde Starre Inne, Stonegate. It's located here, and is quite easily found because Stonegate is on one of the main tourist streets. Actually it's down a little alleyway behind Stonegate, but is clearly marked by this here big metal sign that spans the whole width of the street:

We've chosen to meet there not in order to start drinking but simply because it has lots of small siderooms so we should be able to colonise a whole one to ourselves. In order to aid the colonisation process, some of us (I believe Spanners, Oooood, Henrietta, Kelly, myself and anyone else who wants to join us) will be there from 12:30ish having lunch and generally spreading out and acquiring territory.

At this point we'll explain the afternoon activity & give out equipment. Last night Deanery (yes, Deanery!), Clara, Kelly and I took part in an intensive strategic planning session and now have the rules precisely worked out for maximum enjoyment and medium-sized silliness.

The activity should take 2-3 hours and from there we'll figure out the rest as we go along. However, here are the key places you might need to find. (NB in the Google Maps links, I've tried to make it so that the little green arrow is pointing as close as possible to the actual building/location required. Sometimes this has mean tricking Google Maps by searching for something else nearby, so don't be put off by what the words next to the maps say.)

Duncombe Place, facing the West doors of York Minster, where we'll be meeting for The Ghost Trail at 7:20ish, roughly here

The Mason's Arms, where we will (subject to confirmation) be going for lunch on Sunday, is here

Demian, Swoop, Feign, Kelly and I are all staying (or living, as the case may be) here - and Clara and Deanery live exceedingly nearby

Spanners and Henrietta are staying here, directly on the route between our house and the city centre

Ooooood, Mildred and Allen Key are staying (or living) here

and Gertrude and Basil, I hope you'll forgive me for not providing maps of where you live, as nobody's staying with you.

The only thing that's a bit unclear is exactly when people are going to drop off belongings etc in their various places of accommodation. The easiest thing might be to do it in the gap between the afternoon thing and the Ghost Trail, but if you're arriving early enough you could possibly do it before everything starts. Not sure about that one, really.

Er, that's it! I'll send you all my mobile number by private message - in fact, subject to Kelly's approval, I'll send you all my mobile number and hers, in case of battery problems etc.

Let the festivities commence!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 15th Nov '06 7:25PM
4213 Posts
The sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed that I'm actually back in blighty before the forum meet. This is because I am a damned fool who can't work out dates without counting on his fingers.

I think realisticly I won't be able to make it up for the meet anyhow as I am jet lagged so I don't know what day it is and am currently enjoying a bit of post holiday deli belly which has got me off work at the moment.

Have a great time and I shall be with you in spirit if not in body.

Spanners*
Thu 16th Nov '06 8:33AM
4597 Posts
Aw mate that's tough. Can still drive you up from Brum with us if the Delhi belly calms down.
Otherwise we can do a live telephone linkup

Malcolm*
Thu 16th Nov '06 8:39AM
1673 Posts
Poor old Dheli-stomached General. Hope it improves shortly (although, sadly, even if Spanners did drive you up, you wouldn't have anywhere to stay...)

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 16th Nov '06 4:53PM
4678 Posts
Yay for The Plan!

And Swoop, Feign and I will endeavour to join you for lunch at 12.30

Spanners*
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:12PM
4597 Posts
It's all happening tomorrow Wootang!

Malcolm*
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:17PM
1673 Posts
Certainly is! I'm off to borrow an air-bed!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 17th Nov '06 5:07PM
4678 Posts
Let's get ready to rumble!

Also... my hand hurts from furously tallying the votes

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 5 of 5 - <<First  ... 2, 3, 4, 5 You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy