Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Phorum Meet 2006 - 31 to 60
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 2 of 5 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 29th Jul '06 1:03AM
2708 Posts
Weird thing - I want it in York, but I know it's going to be in Manchester eventually. Better to have it there sooner or later?

I say sooner. But I'm probably wrong.

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 30th Jul '06 10:54PM
2522 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Weird thing - I want it in York, but I know it's going to be in Manchester eventually. Better to have it there sooner or later?

I say sooner. But I'm probably wrong.

errr....yeah. what amanshu said!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 31st Jul '06 4:50PM
4678 Posts
OK, after a considerable amount of research I have some reservations about the number of entertaining things to do in Manchester. However, once you've weeded out the staples such as 'Textile Museum', 'Industrial Revolution Museum' and Quarry Bank Mill (don't even ask, it's just too boring), we're left with the following attractions:

1. Castlefield
Containing (as it does) such things as bars, canals, and possible boat trips. It's also possible to book 3-hour lunch-trips on board, travelling to the Lowry Centre in Salford Quays and back.

2. Food
Manchester is chock full of good places to eat, notably the 'Curry Mile' in Rusholme, arguably the home of the British curry (denizens of Bradford and Birmingham may well disagree). Either way, the curry is marvellous. There's also Chinatown, home of the famous Yang Sing, and also plenty of less expensive places. A colleague also recommended a place called Dmitris, which apparently does amazing tapas. Other styles include Greek, Turkish, Armenian, Australian, Italian, and probably any other cuisine you can imagine.

3. Places to visit
I'm sure others can help me with this but these include the Science and ndustry Museum (interactive exhibits!), The Lowry Centre, The Trafford Centre, the Imperial War Museum, Urbis, IMAX (giant cinema), and various other museums and art galleries.

4. Tours
I've been assured there are some, e.g. Ghost / Hidden City / Manchester At War. But of course if it's Ghost Tours you want then Malcolm and York is the man and the place.

5. Free Accommodation!
I can put up at least six of you (if you bring your own sleeping bags / pillows and don't mind cushions / sofas / floor space) and The Pharaoh has said she will happily put up any excess, well realistically we're probably talking a maximum of 12-14 people in total who can be freely accommodated.

6. More Members!
For some reason, some of the Manchester forummers don't seem quite so committed as the York based ones. If held in Manchester we may well get appearances from The Guv, Diziet, Feign and Arabstrap, all of whom probably won't be able to make it if we're further afield. The Guv has a good excuse - several daughters - I can't speak for the rest of 'em though, bunch of slackers that they are

Anyway, thats all I can think of for now, if you have anything to add please feel free, or PM me if you want me to add it above.

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Thu 3rd Aug '06 4:20PM
215 Posts
I would like to confirm my support for Demian's Manchester Phorum Meet Bid, or; Phorum Lovers Exodus to Gorgeous Manchester (PhLEGM).

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 4th Aug '06 10:58AM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

I can't speak for the rest of 'em though, bunch of slackers that they are

i'd respond to that but i can't be arsed.

theres also st annes square where theres always some form of wonderful street entertainment going on - buskers, string quartets etc - and the european markets.

basically you could just walk around manchester town centre and find loads of things to see and do.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 4th Aug '06 11:14AM
212 Posts
Just to let you all know, the York Bid is currently under preparation and will shortly appear in this thread!

I hope you are all waiting with bated breath, fingers crossed and eyes akimbo...

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 8th Aug '06 8:48PM
4597 Posts
I guess I should probably sort the Birmingham bid, even though I personally think it might be nice to have a change.

So, Birmingham! In Brum we are central to England with great transport links so overall ease of access to forummers is marvellous. We have a chocolate factory (but we've already done that), a sea life centre, a big wheel, lots of greenery, Red Pandas that sometimes escape, a veritable array of pubs and restaurants and of course TDDO HQ.
In summary - Wooo Brum Woooo!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 11th Aug '06 10:20AM
4213 Posts
Yay brum - It's easy to get to from London

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 11th Aug '06 11:28AM
1673 Posts
Now look, Mr. General (or should that be General General?) - we'll have none of this rumourmongering. A quick survey of TheTrainline.com reveals that:

- Travelling from London to York only takes around twenty-five minutes longer than travelling from London to Birmingham
- You can easily travel from London to York and back, by train, for less than ?30 - there are many, many different cheap single tickets available on the weekend in question. If you're travelling here on Saturday morning, this puts it at slightly cheaper than Birmingham.

Your mischievous claims are, therefore, null and void.

And if you even think of responding with some such silliness as "But I can't come by public transport - I must bring my car" then you'll get no sympathy whatsoever.

But now, having rebuffed these Generalisations, I suppose we really ought to get on with the official York bid...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 11th Sep '06 8:29PM
2708 Posts
OK, after a considerable amount of time I have given up waiting for the York forummers to actually post up their bid, so I'm going to do it myself. However, once you've been away from York for three years things might have changed. Still if I don't do something soon then this thread ends and it all starts to look rather like there isn't a phorum meet this year. So:

1. The River Ouse
Containing (as it does) such things as bars and possible boat trips. It's also possible to book a boat for an evening for a party but I think that might be a bit out of our scope. We could however get a couple of small boats and shoot up and down the river for an hour or so.

2. Food
York is known as the Gastronomic Capital of the North. There is a reason for that. I STILL miss the great choice of restaurants in York after three years because I've yet to be anywhere for food that compares. It's got Italian, Tappas, Japanese, Completely Vegetarian restaurants, Curry Houses, Chinese, Traditional fare... Basically anything you could want food wise is there!

3. Places to visit
I'm sure others can help me with this but these include the City Museum, Jorvik Viking Centre, The York Dungeon, The National Railway Museum, Clifford's Tower... I could go on, but I've forgotten - Oooo! York Minster, can't forget that one - I mean it's a tourist town, so you know it'll be good for, well, tourists!

4. Tours
I refer you to Demian's post on Manchester:

if it's Ghost Tours you want then Malcolm and York is the man and the place.

Nuff said.

5. Free Accommodation!
I'm just guessing, but there do seem to be a rather large number of York based forummers, so the chances are that this might be possible. However failing that, it's a tourist town, and so it's choc full of cheap B&B's, which are always nice to have handy

6. More Members!
Hmmm... Can't really beat Manchester on this one, chances are there would be more people in Manchester. However York would mean a meeting from the elusive Deanery. That's got to be worth something right?

7. Beauty
I'm sorry, I don't really mean to knock Manchester, but to be honest York's just so much prettier than Manchester. Now I get that there are a number of beautiful places in Manchester, but the entire centre of York is just, well, gorgeous. Plus Malcolm knows a number of the local businesses/restaurants which is generally a good thing when it comes to squeezing in a large number of people.

Anyway, thats all I can think of for now, if you have anything to add please feel free, or PM me if you want me to add it above.

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Mon 11th Sep '06 9:42PM
579 Posts
Can I add the York Wheel, which has gone up in the last year? I haven't been on it yet and am looking for a good excuse to go! If you come into York on the train in the dark you can see it all lit up, and it's really really pretty.

(It doesn't actually turn you upsidedown).

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 12th Sep '06 8:32AM
2708 Posts

Gertrude was bold enough to comment:
Can I add the York Wheel, which has gone up in the last year?

Yes, yes I think you can! Outstanding! Ferris wheels are cool!

So I vote for York!

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 12th Sep '06 9:06AM
215 Posts
To be fair, York is nothing short of stunning. Definately one of my fave UK cities. But the lazy bastard in me still wants it in Manchester.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 12th Sep '06 9:56AM
4213 Posts
I would say Birmingham but I'm afraid Malcolm will shout at me.

Can I make a bid for London?: It has everything you could possibly want and more our glorious capital and all that, but on the downside it is a bit of a trek for you northeners.

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 12th Sep '06 11:04AM
215 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

Can I make a bid for London?: It has everything you could possibly want and more our glorious capital and all that, but on the downside it is a bit of a trek for you northeners.

It smells, too.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 12th Sep '06 2:08PM
4213 Posts

Arabstrap was bold enough to comment:

It smells, too.

London or Birmingham?

Cos I'll have you know that London is the finest place on earth!

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 12th Sep '06 2:35PM
2522 Posts

Arabstrap was bold enough to comment:

It smells, too.

London or Birmingham?

Cos I'll have you know that London is the finest place on earth!

London, Birmingham and Manchester all smell.

i'm defecting to the York contingent because York air is fragrant and promotes world peace.

Spanners*
Tue 12th Sep '06 5:31PM
4597 Posts
Guys, I think the 14th/15th of October is now looking rather too optimistic given it's only a month off and we ain't even decided the venue. Also that weekend's looking dodge for me as the ladyfriend gets back from 6 months in Africa on the 11th and I might be needin to visit
Can we hammer down a location and take it from there?

All those in favour of York say aye!

Aye!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 12th Sep '06 5:46PM
4678 Posts
AYE!

And if October is out - and lets face it, it's no sort of TheDaddy forum meet without Spanners - how are people set for 18-19th Nov?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 12th Sep '06 6:14PM
2708 Posts
AYE!

Nov 18-19th is good for me! In many ways it's better than October - was looking forward to some down time...

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Tue 12th Sep '06 6:55PM
579 Posts
AYE!

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 12th Sep '06 7:13PM
215 Posts
eye

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 13th Sep '06 8:48AM
838 Posts
AYE!!!

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 13th Sep '06 10:25AM
2522 Posts
aye

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 22nd Sep '06 4:02PM
212 Posts
AYE

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Sat 23rd Sep '06 1:43AM
1558 Posts
AYE, but you all might have to put up with me running off in random directions reliving my formative years

Spanners*
Sat 23rd Sep '06 3:32PM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

And if October is out - and lets face it, it's no sort of TheDaddy forum meet without Spanners - how are people set for 18-19th Nov?

Would have to swap some shifts but looks doable. Would need to know sooner rather than later though...

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 23rd Sep '06 4:27PM
2522 Posts
18-19th is fine by me.

arabstrap - are you driving there? if so, can me and the ginger fury cadge a lift?

also, do any york based forumers know of any reasonably priced hotels / B&B's? the last time i stayed in york the hotel cost ?50 a night.

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Sun 24th Sep '06 9:55PM
278 Posts
Ay I still fancy it being in Manchester, although I do love York. Has it not been held in Manchester yet?

It's a fine and beautiful city, and you can see where the Kersal massive come from. Manchester has a rich and divers culture. And the Little Yang Sing in China Town is world famousely lovely.

And you can also see where shameless comes from (It's really like that in some places). Castleton is lovely and like being in some very refined cosmo place
The area is seperated out into very different districs

Gay village - good ofr danceing and very swish. Always woth a visit, You can dance on the canal boat to some fine and dandy music by fary light!!

Castleton - the rivera.

China Town - It is a larger than average community of many many supermarkets and restaurants

Deansgate - very swish to shop

Oyster bar - whats a Tudor public house doing in the centre of manchester? Oh yes it was moved there brick by brick?!

Aflics Palace- mecca to alternitve styles

Piccadilly gardens - foot fettish paradise (Woops meant to keep that one quiet).

Oh the cages - (Hard core summit)

Rusholme - a mile of curry houses meets Blackpool. (very good food)

Am I sellin this yet?

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 24th Sep '06 10:22PM
2522 Posts

Ginger fury was bold enough to comment:
Ay I still fancy it being in Manchester, although I do love York. Has it not been held in Manchester yet?

It's a fine and beautiful city, and you can see where the Kersal massive come from. Manchester has a rich and divers culture. And the Little Yang Sing in China Town is world famousely lovely.

And you can also see where shameless comes from (It's really like that in some places). Castleton is lovely and like being in some very refined cosmo place
The area is seperated out into very different districs

Gay village - good ofr danceing and very swish. Always woth a visit, You can dance on the canal boat to some fine and dandy music by fary light!!

Castleton - the rivera.

China Town - It is a larger than average community of many many supermarkets and restaurants

Deansgate - very swish to shop

Oyster bar - whats a Tudor public house doing in the centre of manchester? Oh yes it was moved there brick by brick?!

Aflics Palace- mecca to alternitve styles

Piccadilly gardens - foot fettish paradise (Woops meant to keep that one quiet).

Oh the cages - (Hard core summit)

Rusholme - a mile of curry houses meets Blackpool. (very good food)

Am I sellin this yet?

its the best argument for manchester so far, but i think everyones agreed on york now.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 2 of 5 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy