Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Phorum Meet 2006 - 61 to 90
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 3 of 5 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 24th Sep '06 10:33PM
4597 Posts
OK 9 votes for York, plus Oooood has told me he's in favour of there and I recon we can safely assume that Malcolm and Kelly will also place their voting elbows in the York quiche on their return from making peace with the Scots.
In terms of members likely to attend that's a definite majority.

We're going to York, people!

Now the date. And the accomodation. Discuss.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 25th Sep '06 10:37AM
1558 Posts
Accommodation?
We could all bring suitable disguises and make up type products, and near the end of the day go on a tour of the York Dungeon, slip away from the group, don our oh so authentic costumes, hide amongst the exhibits until closing and then party the night away, basking in the creepy atmosphere, before camping out near the gift shop for the night.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 25th Sep '06 9:06PM
4678 Posts
Ewww... York Quiche

So are we on for the 18th-19th Nov then? Don't think anyone's said no so far...

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 28th Sep '06 7:57AM
1673 Posts
Well I never! You go away for two or three weeks on a historic voyage of epic proportions, and when you return the Forum Meet's only been bleedin' half organised! Good grief.

Anyway, as a latecomer to this:

"AY" for York
and "AY" for those dates.

(and "AY" that we can easily accommodate 2 people, or 3 people if 2 of them want to share a double bed.)

Since I looked at http://www.39millionsteps.co.uk my life has been longer, happier AND safer from terrorist attack!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 28th Sep '06 5:04PM
4678 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Well I never! You go away for two or three weeks on a historic voyage of epic proportions, and when you return the Forum Meet's only been bleedin' half organised! Good grief.

Welcome back! I hope there's an epic Voyage Thread update on it's way soon

And to keep on track:

Least Number of Spleens in a Forumgoer?

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 28th Sep '06 5:14PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

And to keep on track:

Least Number of Spleens in a Forumgoer?

whats the usual quota?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 28th Sep '06 5:17PM
4678 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

whats the usual quota?

Doctor Who has two

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 28th Sep '06 5:21PM
2522 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

whats the usual quota?

Doctor Who has two

i thought he had two hearts!

does he have two of everything?

Malcolm*
Mon 2nd Oct '06 2:20PM
1673 Posts
Right - in an effort to reign in this rather reigned-out discussion, let's progress with these plans! As one of TheDaddy's York-based residents, I would like to get the show on the road by gathering some concrete information. I will then (as will Kelly, and no doubt some of the other Yorkers) make some sense of it all, do some research, and generally commence with the sorting-out.

OK?

Good.

So - 18th & 19th November - who wants to come?

Of the York-based forummers, who wants to come and offer some accommodation in their house for the Saturday night? (feel free to reply by PM rather than commit yourself publicly)

Any particular requests for activities? I have a few ideas, but let's hear yours first

...and, er, that's it for now. So, come on then!

Since I looked at http://www.39millionsteps.co.uk my life has been longer, happier AND safer from terrorist attack!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 2nd Oct '06 2:44PM
2708 Posts
Me, me! Pick me!

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Mon 2nd Oct '06 3:35PM
838 Posts
Well the Deanery and I are happy to help in arranging stuff and we shall be there. Unfortunately we are having quite a few bathroom difficulties at the moment (i.e. things are leaking and it's horribly damp and disgusting), so I'm not sure having anyone to stay is feasible at this precise moment in time (boo hoo ).

I shall discuss with t'other half and see what we can do.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 2nd Oct '06 5:16PM
4678 Posts
Sign me up!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 2nd Oct '06 5:29PM
2522 Posts
count me in.

i reckon the ginger one will be coming as well.

Spanners*
Mon 2nd Oct '06 11:36PM
4597 Posts
Yaay! I'm in!

Malcolm*
Wed 4th Oct '06 7:16PM
1673 Posts
Hmm, OK - so, so far, we've got

from York:
Kelly
Me good self
Clara
Deanery

from elsewhere:
Demian
Amanshu
Spanners
Diziet
Gingerfury

...which already makes 9, a not-too-bad number for a weekend of jollity. But we must prod and probe other people. Possibly people haven't been noticing this thread, so your task now is to find your comrades and prod and poke them! Come along! Roll up, roll up!

A special prodding is due to other York-based members, because when we know how many of us are taking part we can start to figure out the accommodation requirements.

As for things to do, there are a number of ideas so far:
- we could go up and down the river on a boat. This could either be a big big boat, with an indoor bit and a bar, or it could be in two or three small, self-drive motor boats.
- we could attend The Ghost Trail of York. At the moment I don't know whether I'm working that night, but if people are interested I could make sure I am
- we could do some kind of treasure hunt around the city centre.
- we could attend Jorvik, the reasonably overpriced but still rather fun Viking thing. I have a feeling they do group discounts, and it'd present comedy photo opportunities.
- as for dinner, there are a few excellent places - a couple of very good Mexicans, plus of course Caesar's, the very reasonably-priced but excellently-cooked Italian place that always give Kelly and me (plus everyone who's with us) extra special treatment and free stuff

So that's my thoughts so far. More please! But in particular, if any of you could poke and prod other daddydotorgers whom you may happen to know, that would be mightily helpful.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 4th Oct '06 8:11PM
4678 Posts
Ghost Trails and Treasure hunts sound fantastic, and I'd love to drive a boat! I was severely underwhelmed by the Jorvik last time I went, but that was a long time ago when it was a ride in a motorised cart past a lot of malodorous mannequins looking grumpy. Have they improved it since?

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Wed 4th Oct '06 9:05PM
1558 Posts
Ooh ooh me too!

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Thu 5th Oct '06 8:32AM
510 Posts

I was severely underwhelmed by the Jorvik last time I went, but that was a long time ago when it was a ride in a motorised cart past a lot of malodorous mannequins looking grumpy. Have they improved it since?

No.

But York has so much more to offer than pretend Viking stink! And count me in to swell the ranks of the York contingent. Hoorah!

Malcolm*
Thu 5th Oct '06 10:19AM
1673 Posts

Allen Key was bold enough to comment:

I was severely underwhelmed by the Jorvik last time I went, but that was a long time ago when it was a ride in a motorised cart past a lot of malodorous mannequins looking grumpy. Have they improved it since?

No.

But York has so much more to offer than pretend Viking stink! And count me in to swell the ranks of the York contingent. Hoorah!

Yes they have - the mannequins move a bit now!

But anyway, just thought I'd mention it since it's what most people want to do at some point when they're here.

So that's Swoop and Allen Key added to the list, bringing us to a respectable 11. Anybody else? General? Ooood? As attendees of last year's event, can we tempt you again?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 9th Oct '06 9:50AM
2708 Posts
*sigh*

nay.

Got a friends birthday to go to so I guess I won't be able to make it after all...

Spanners*
Mon 9th Oct '06 3:21PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Got a friends birthday to go to so I guess I won't be able to make it after all...

Oh mate Is there any way? Can you sign up your friend and bring him/her along?

Any more for any more? Finally got the days off sorted after a nightmare of rota logistics so could really do without it being shifted.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 9th Oct '06 4:31PM
2708 Posts
I might be able to swing something, even if I'm only there for a bit of it...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 9th Oct '06 5:38PM
4678 Posts
Even if you can only make it for a few hours, it'd be cool to see you there 'Shu.

Dregan, any chance you can make it this year? Would be great to finally meet you

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 9th Oct '06 5:57PM
212 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

A special prodding is due to other York-based members, because when we know how many of us are taking part we can start to figure out the accommodation requirements.

I will consider myself prodded in that case - sorry guys have been horridly busy at work and the position of my new desk does not facilitate happy forum browsing (boss has frequently made me leap out of my skin by appearing 2cm from my right ear without me having noticed her until her arrival at said ear, hmmm) - anyway yes -
I think you can count me in for the forthcoming events - current thoughts:

- treasure hunt i very much like the idea of.
- can I make a plea for NOT going to Jorvik - it really is quite rubbish unless you are 7 and violently obsessed with vikings/swords/motorised carts/musty smells (I hope this doesn't apply to any of our number...), I've been round it twice for free (once on a job interview, in fact) and although mildly diverting i have always thought I wouldn't want to go if I had to pay for the experience. Anti-jorvik rant over!

Malc I'll pm you with thoughts on accommodation, just as soon as I have had them - I now need to Leave the office, Go home, and Eat something (possibly not in that order, but roughly in that order).

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Tue 10th Oct '06 12:08PM
579 Posts
I too consider myself prodded! I shall be around on the Saturday and for at least part of the Sunday, but I have Something Important To Do (I've caught Mildred's capitalization infection) which I can't rearrange. I'm being assessed. On a Sunday. Bah. Only the church would do such a thing!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 10th Oct '06 12:40PM
4213 Posts
I still rather lamely don't know if I'll be on holiday on the proposed dates yet, but should be back.

Malcolm*
Tue 17th Oct '06 2:51PM
1673 Posts
Right, plans are firmly afoot for the Meet. More details will of course be discussed/considered over the coming month, but here's what we, the Spontaneous And Unappointed York-Based Forum Meet Working Party, also known as A Few Of Us Who Were In The Pub The Other Day (hereinafter referred to as the SAUY-BFMWPakaAFOUWWITPTOD) have come up with so far.

Firstly, accommodation is looking fairly promising, in that (a) some people will certainly be able to stay in our houses, and (b) all of York is substantially smaller than Birmingham (last year's Meet venue) so wherever we are, we won't be particularly far from each other. Obviously, though, more planning needs to go into this quite quickly as we confirm numbers of attendees. (General, any news? And what's happened to Ooood? And can we tempt anyone else?)

Secondly, we've been having some tentative plans for the itinerary of events. Here's the current amalgamated suggestionucopia:

1. Everyone arrives in York on Saturday late morning/afternoon

2. We are devising a fun activity that will be somewhere between a treasure hunt, a pickpocketing spree and a paintball game, to be played within a defined area of the centre of York. It will involve people dividing into small teams, being dispatched into the streets, and having a specific amount of time (probably 2-3 hours) to hunt down certain items, steal them from each other, defend their own ones from being stolen, and generally have fun sneaking around such fantastically-named alleys, passages, snickets and ginnels as Mad Alice Lane, Nether Hornpot Lane and Three Cranes Lane. Think of it as a way to get to know each other and get to know York, with a bit of adrenaline-charged suspicion and hide-and-seek thrown in.

3. We could possibly then go on a river cruise - they take about an hour, go up and down the river with commentaries (which you're free to ignore) and feature an open-topped deck and an indoor cafe/bar area.

4. At 7:30pm I have now arranged to be your personal guide for The Ghost Trail of York. Well, when I say "personal", there'll be other members of the public there too, but that makes it more fun because we can all pretend not to know each other. We also get to see how many Forum-related references I can fit into the script as I go along. It takes about an hour or so, and you get to see me in a top hat.

5. We'd suggest then going for dinner in Caesar's, the Italian restaurant that a number of Forummers have already visited at some point. The reasons to choose there are (a) the food's lovely, (b) the pizza and pasta is surprisingly cheap, (c) if there are 10-15ish of us we might get a little side room to ourselves, and (d) if you're a regular - or especially if you're a Ghost Trail guide or a guest of such - you get all sorts of special treatment. In the past this special treatment has included free garlic bread (almost every time), free coffee, free liqueurs, free flaming Sambuca, spontaneous production of an extra table to make space for us even though the restaurant was full, a free umbrella, a service whereby we got to sit in the pub along the road and the waiter came to find us when the table was ready, the head chef repairing my walking stick with superglue while we dined, Christmas presents being given to Kelly, flowers being given to Kelly, and (most impressive of all) the waiter giving us a lift home in his own car! Obviously it's not likely that all of these things will happen, but we're certain to be treated very well.

6. There's a quite nice but not too horrendous pub along the road from there that's open until 1ish at weekends so we could go there if we fancy it; otherwise there's a Spanish-themed cafe that's open till midnightish.

7. On Sunday lunchtime there's a pub that does the most fantastic food. Huge roasts, pies, burritos, all sorts of things - they're famed for their catering, and it's all in an old-fashioned pub with open fires.

8. The Yorkshire Eye (I think that's what it's called) is a massive big-wheel type thing, which could be an optional extra on Sunday afternoon. Not for the faint-hearted (and I'm talking about you here, Demian), it's the sort of thing people can hang around for if they feel like it.

er, and I think that's all we, the the SAUY-BFMWPakaAFOUWWITPTOD, have come up with so far. Obviously this isn't a dictatorship-type affair, so feel free to comment, suggest, or add more. And feel free to sign up to come if you haven't already!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 17th Oct '06 3:11PM
4213 Posts
Wow that sounds awesome!

Unfortunately I am going to be on holiday in the Dominican Republic over the 18th 19th

On the plus side, I'm going to be on holiday in the Dominican Republic wooooo!

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Tue 17th Oct '06 4:05PM
242 Posts
HELLO!!

Thanks for the nudge there Malcolm, i've been a little run off my feet and haven't been floating by recently, sorry everyone.

My first thoughts are i should be able to make it, need to check the calender when i get home. will liase with spanners.

Malcolm*
Tue 17th Oct '06 4:11PM
1673 Posts
That's marvellous news - nice to have you back!

Also thanks to General for the vote of confidence (but no thanks for being in the Dominican Republic).

So, on current numbers, it looks as though we have one more attendee than last year (if Amanshu can come for any) or the same number (if he can't). Excellent progress so far!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 3 of 5 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy