Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Odyssey the Second - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sun 6th Aug '06 11:39AM
1673 Posts
Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's coming, it's bigger and it's better.

The next Great Kelly and Malcolm Long-Distance Novelty Trek has been announced - and this time you can all join in the fun! (not by walking with us, but in an altogether more exciting fashion.)

This year our progress and general announcements will be made on http://39millionsteps.blogspot.com - go on! have a look! look now! - but we also wanted to share it personally with you, our lovely forumfriends.

Let the festivities begin!

Since I looked at http://39millionsteps.blogspot.com my life has been longer, happier AND safer from terrorist attack!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 6th Aug '06 6:01PM
2522 Posts
this is a fantastic idea and looks to be loads of fun.

i'd like to contribute to the prizes with Diziet's Comedy Selection Pack.

the DCSP is incomplete at the minute. so far it contains:

Black Books series two
Monty Python and the Holy Grail 2 disc edition
One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre
Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

i'll be adding more comedic delights over the next couple of weeks.

malcolm / kelly - if you pm me your address i'll get the DCSP sent out to you.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 6th Aug '06 6:24PM
4597 Posts
Good luck guys, sounds fantastic!

Malcolm*
Mon 7th Aug '06 10:19AM
1673 Posts
I'd just like to say, in a public way:

Diziet, you're a marvel!

A thousand thanks to your good and marvellous self.

No competition entries yet, but local advertising should begin in full over the next couple of days. Anyone fancy being our first entrant?

Since I looked at http://39millionsteps.blogspot.com my life has been longer, happier AND safer from terrorist attack!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 7th Aug '06 10:35AM
2708 Posts
Mwah-ha-ha! I am the first and the most supreme. Also I stole the most obvious answer. That makes me happy!

Malcolm*
Mon 7th Aug '06 10:54AM
1673 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Mwah-ha-ha! I am the first and the most supreme. Also I stole the most obvious answer. That makes me happy!

Oh, Amanshu. Dear me. Still, I guess somebody was bound to, so I'm pleased you were the first! Of course, it may be that 100 other people will guess the same...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 7th Aug '06 4:38PM
4678 Posts
What a fantastic idea. I don't have any paypal but I'll certainly be up for donating a prize or two, give me a few days to see what I can come up with

Diziet is, indeed, a very generous fellow

Malcolm*
Mon 7th Aug '06 5:34PM
1673 Posts
Wow, thanks! We really weren't expecting such spectacular donation activity from forummers!

I'm intrigued, though - what do you mean by you don't have any paypal? Thought it worked for everybody? (ie you don't need to already have an account with them, or anything.) Would it be worth our looking into some other way, do you think?

Anyway, that's just a small technical issue. All seems to be going well so far!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 7th Aug '06 7:08PM
2522 Posts
shucks - you guys!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 8th Aug '06 10:03AM
2708 Posts
I believe I might have an unopened copy of the series 1 of the league of extraordinary gentlemen kicking around somewhere... I've had it for getting on for three years now, so I think it's safe to say that I'm unlikely to watch it anytime soon.

Would it be a worthy addition to DCSP? Or would I have to create an ACSP instead? Personally I'm a fan of originals (because they're just... better) so I'd rather not have an ancilliary przie grouping, but who am I to argue?

Malcolm*
Tue 8th Aug '06 10:23AM
1673 Posts
Hmm... just to check: do you mean

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

or

The League of Gentlemen

?

An entirely different proposition, I'm sure you'll agree.

Either way, we think offering it as a separate item would be the best way forward. That way, (a) we get more items to mention on our list of prizes, and (b) the Diziet's Comedy Selection Pack remains exclusively, unsulliedly Dizietty.

Does that sound fair enough?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 8th Aug '06 10:42AM
2708 Posts
Oh, sorry, yes the league of gentlemen in Royston Vasey. Certainly not the stupid piece of crap movie that was created from such a wonderful comic...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 8th Aug '06 12:48PM
4678 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

I'm intrigued, though - what do you mean by you don't have any paypal? Thought it worked for everybody? (ie you don't need to already have an account with them, or anything.) Would it be worth our looking into some other way, do you think?

As I understand it, you can only use paypal once you've registered and proved a valid address and bank account(?) with them. It may be simpler than I've come to believe, but I know it's not something you can just use if you haven't before. However, a large proportion of net-users now have it (despite SA refusing to have anything more to do with it) so it's probably as good a system as any.

I know Swoop has mastered it's intricacies so he can probably fill you in on the requirements better than I. Swoopster?

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 8th Aug '06 1:27PM
2522 Posts

Either way, we think offering it as a separate item would be the best way forward. That way, (a) we get more items to mention on our list of prizes, and (b) the Diziet's Comedy Selection Pack remains exclusively, unsulliedly Dizietty.

Does that sound fair enough?

sounds fine to me

excellent offering by the way amanshu!

Malcolm*
Tue 8th Aug '06 1:30PM
1673 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

As I understand it, you can only use paypal once you've registered and proved a valid address and bank account(?) with them. It may be simpler than I've come to believe, but I know it's not something you can just use if you haven't before. However, a large proportion of net-users now have it (despite SA refusing to have anything more to do with it) so it's probably as good a system as any.

Ah, no, that used to be the case but they've changed it now. You don't need an account any more, and you don't need to create one - you can just type in credit card details just like buying anything else on the internet. That's why I chose it for my picture website.

(by the way, this is in no way an attempt to persuade Demian to do anything! just thought I'd set the record straight for the sake of anyone else who sees this!)

Malcolm*
Mon 14th Aug '06 9:28AM
1673 Posts
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. I wanted to tell you all about this because, frankly, it's a little worrying and I'd appreciate your support and sympathy:

http://39millionsteps.blogspot.com/2006/08/kilt-crisis-is-over.html

(the above entry refers to a thing I'll be wearing to be photographed by the local press at lunchtime today. And, might I add, it's very cold today. And raining.)

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Mon 14th Aug '06 10:06AM
838 Posts
Poor, poor Malcolm. Does this mean you've now worked out how to actually wear the thing? (When I saw Malcolm on Saturday there were various buttonholes without buttons and rogue press studs...)

Malcolm*
Mon 14th Aug '06 10:30AM
1673 Posts

Clara was bold enough to comment:
Poor, poor Malcolm. Does this mean you've now worked out how to actually wear the thing?

Yes, I think so. Also, I'm planning to call in at the Yorkshire Museum on my way there to buy a sword!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 14th Aug '06 10:37AM
2708 Posts

Clara was bold enough to comment:
When I saw Malcolm on Saturday there were various buttonholes without buttons and rogue press studs...

I assume this means it comes with a proper kilt belt then? Outstanding!

Malcolm*
Mon 14th Aug '06 11:20AM
1673 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

I assume this means it comes with a proper kilt belt then? Outstanding!

Well, a belt, yes, but it isn't a kilt so I presume the belt isn't a kilt belt. It's a big'un, though.

Anyway, you misunderstand - I didn't want congratulation and enthusiasm, I wanted sympathy and condolence!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 14th Aug '06 11:34AM
2708 Posts
I can't even congratulate you a little bit in finding the elusive kilt?

I mean I fully understand the 'joy' that is working out how to properly wear a kilt for the first time, but that's not a major problem, and considering the alternative was constructing one out of a blanket to be honest I think you got of reasonably lightly. Unless of course you're highly allergic to wool in which case you might have a rather interesting time wearing one.

To be honest I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you should need condolences for having the opportunity to wear such a fantastic item of fashion that carries with it hundreds of years worth of tradition!

I mean bear in mind we are talking about something that was designed to be worn in the highlands, so even if it is cold and it is raining then you'll be as snug as a bug! I've been known to wear one at a wedding in sub zero temperatures and I would even go so far as to say I found myself toasty whilst I was outside.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 14th Aug '06 11:35AM
212 Posts
Poor, poor Malcolm!
May small angels flock to your calves and warm them up with invisible hot blankets in your hour of chilly-kilted need.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 14th Aug '06 5:34PM
4678 Posts
You know you're not allowed to wear anything under the kilt, if you want to do it authentically

By the way, I once looked into the logistics of buying a sword, and I was told by the sword-shop owner that they come with a letter of purchase entitling you to carry it straight from the shop to your home, and nowhere else inbetween. But I suppose if you're in full highland regalia you're probably not going to be arrested unless you actually behead anyone.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 14th Aug '06 6:14PM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
You know you're not allowed to wear anything under the kilt, if you want to do it authentically

Dude, you never go commando in another man's kilt!

Malcolm*
Mon 14th Aug '06 8:51PM
1673 Posts
Thank you, Mildred, for your sympathy. Exactly what I required.

My main concern was that in the rain my frilly white shirt would go not only freezing and flaccid bus also transparent. Fortunately, though, this didn't transpire and I have survived the incident intact. York newspapers, at some point in the next week or two, will contain a very ridiculous photograph. Very ridiculous.

But as for the other kilt-related comments, I must state again: it wasn't a kilt, so the rules are entirely different and Amanshu's praisings don't apply. And, fortunately, the sword was small, wooden, and ?3.75 .

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 15th Aug '06 9:19AM
2708 Posts

I must state again: it wasn't a kilt, so the rules are entirely different and Amanshu's praisings don't apply.

Actually I think what you mean to say is that it wasn't a Prince Charlie - which is what people tend to think of when they say a kilt. It looks something like this:

Unfortunately that's not the only style of kilt, there are many ones out there. And yes the William Wallace wrap style of kilt (known as a philibeg) is still a kilt - it's just a very early style of kilt. Also, technically being from the lowlands William Wallace probably didn't wear a kilt - he was much more likely to be wearing the same stuff as the English - chain mail and trousers.

And from experience, you never go commando in England, full stop... It's just easier.

Malcolm*
Tue 15th Aug '06 9:42AM
1673 Posts
I think you're just jealous.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 15th Aug '06 11:51AM
2708 Posts
Constantly and unceasingly. But only on a tuesday. Or before lunch if it's a friday.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 16th Aug '06 3:32PM
838 Posts
I've just spotted Malcolm on the This is York website - http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/news/ . And suitably kiltedly menacing he looks too!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 16th Aug '06 3:45PM
2708 Posts
It's quite hard to make out the arrow through his head though. Which is a shame because he's less scary as soon as you realise that he's been shot through the head and is grimacing with pain before he falls down.

But congratulations upon your kiltiness. You look quite dashing!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy