Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
How to charm a dog - advice required - 1 to 16
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org You cannot post to the Archive!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 26th Oct '06 1:22PM
212 Posts
WINNER OF THE AWARD FOR MOST USEFUL THREAD
AT THEDADDY.ORG FORUM MEET 2006

I have to meet a dog on Friday, and I have to make it like me. Well, it will be better if it likes me, because I will be staying in the same house as it all weekend and if it takes a dislike to me it might not be nice. I will moreover be wearing a fairly expensive and newly purchased dress on Saturday (to go to a wedding in) and so I don't want to antagonise the dog to the extent that it poops on my dress/claws the dress/does sthg bad to the dress.

So, the situation is this: the dog is called Mr Flash (he has a lot of middle names but I can't remember all of them, one of them at least is Gryphon or Griffin), and apparently he tends to take a dislike to people if he meets them inside his house (he lives in Lincoln), as he sees them as a threat. So I am going to be introduced to him outside his house. He is a relatively elderly dog. I am not really a dog person. I've never spent a whole weekend with a dog before. I was once scared by a black dog when I was a small child (Mr Flash is black with a white chest). I once accidentally trod on my friends shitzu. I don't really know how to make dogs like me, other than giving them bacon etc. (and, as a vegetarian, I shie away from carrying raw bacon upon my person - unless absolutely necessary)

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? There must be ways to ensure that dogs like you - I could just ply him with dog treats, but he might see through this as a blatant ploy to win his affection, and sneer at me & my ways.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 26th Oct '06 1:35PM
4597 Posts
Bring it flowers or take it out for a nice dinner
Failing that throw it lots of sticks and scratch it behind the ears

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 26th Oct '06 1:38PM
2522 Posts
dogs are fairly straightforward.

when you first meet him let him have a good sniff of your hand. once he's used to your smell he'll be fine. always let him come to you and try not stand over him coz he'll feel threatened.

have some treats in your pocket as well. once he's used to your smell start dishing these out and he'll be your best mate forever.

if only it was so simple with cats!

good luck!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Thu 26th Oct '06 2:14PM
579 Posts
Dogs love cheese, as do vegetarians. Just don't keep any about your person when wearing the nice dress, you don't want to be jumped on!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 26th Oct '06 2:28PM
212 Posts
News 'flash': the dog's full name is Mr Flashington Gryphon Zebulon Portcullis Woo [I shan't reveal his surname to protect his anonymity]. Apparently a new middlename is added on a fairly regular basis so it may have expanded again by the time I meet him.

I shall bear the hand-sniffing tip in mind, Diziet - as I shall be meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time at the same time as meeting Mr Flash, I only hope I don't get flustered, confuse the parents with the dog and start encouraging them to sniff my hand and eat dog treats from my pocket! If events take this turn my stay at their house might be somewhat curtailed...

Thanks for the cheese tip Gertrude - I shall avoid combining dress and cheese (I had been planning to wear earrings made of stilton but in the circumstances will forgo these accessories)

I guess you can only throw sticks for dogs when you are outdoors? I have never thrown a stick for a dog before so not sure what the etiquette is -perhaps this is a bit advanced for me....

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 26th Oct '06 2:30PM
2708 Posts
I'm also not a huge dog person but I've found that when you first meet one if you croutch down in front of him so you're not threatening and he can see you clearly, make sure he gets a good sniff of you and give them a bit of a stroke you'll be fine.

Also remember there's absolutely nothing wrong with reaching out and shoving him away from you. He'll get the message eventually and it will help show him that you're not someone to be messed with.

Obviously don't do that when you first meet him, but after a couple of minutes it'll be fine!

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 26th Oct '06 4:11PM
212 Posts
But what if I crouch down in front of him and he licks me all over my face? Me no want dog saliva on face.

Something tells me I am going to spend a lot of time this weekend being sniffed. Hmmm!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 26th Oct '06 6:16PM
4678 Posts
In my experience you've virtually no chance of not being covered with saliva, all weekend. Sorry!

When I read the thread title I imagined you playing a pipe while the dog slowly oozed out of a wickerwork basket...

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Thu 26th Oct '06 7:00PM
579 Posts
If you ignore dogs they tend to think you're boring and leave you alone. So if you want to make a good impression, let him sniff you, say a friendly hello, establish yourself as someone who is okay, and then ignore him. With any luck, he'll think you're nice but dull, and leave you alone.

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Thu 26th Oct '06 10:35PM
278 Posts
I'm a big dog fan and had two of the blighters for years. Diziet is right about the letting him sniff your hand thing but the important thing about reaching out to a dog that does not know you is to make sure you reach low so it does not think that it is going to hit you then tickle it under the chin. I would not put my face too near a dog that has not had a sniff at the front of my fingers or let me tickle it, as it could be a bit risky until it's assessed you as OK.

The cheese thing is right with all the dogs that I'v had too. As is butter and fish food. Got to love the crazey things.

Diziets cat expresses it's love for him by biting and clawing. Dogs just tend to nuzzel. Or if it's my weasel dog it has the over whelming urge to place it's noes directly under yours at every opertunity! It is a little unusual though.

Im sure you'll be fine - dogs are good judges of charicter

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 27th Oct '06 4:10PM
212 Posts
Thanks guys - I now feel suffused with dog-charming wisdom, ready to meet Mr Flash in a few hours time!

who knows, maybe I'll end up being a famous dog whisperer (like Robert Redford but with dogs instead of horses) and having my own show on Channel 4. In which case I shall of course mention you all in the credits and send you a share of the profits.

In the meantime I'll focus on getting Dog Whispering Candidate Number One not to slobber all over me too much

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 30th Oct '06 9:24AM
4597 Posts
How was the slobberfest? Anything like this?
http://home.mtholyoke.edu/~rjschaef/honey.html

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Fri 3rd Nov '06 4:26PM
212 Posts
Mildred can't come to the forum right now, as she has been eaten by a medium-sized dog. Just as soon as she regains internet access, she will let you know how meeting the dog went.

Yours sincerely,

Earnest Featherbum
PA to Mildred

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 6th Nov '06 9:05AM
2708 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:
Mildred can't come to the forum right now, as she has been eaten by a medium-sized dog. Just as soon as she regains internet access, she will let you know how meeting the dog went.

Hmmm... it didn't go that well then?

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 6th Nov '06 5:00PM
212 Posts

Mildred was bold enough to comment:

Yours sincerely,

Earnest Featherbum
PA to Mildred

Just kidding! All went well with meeting Mr Flash - we seemed to get on nicely, and there was no biting or barking, hoorah! It seems that dogs are easier to charm than I had thought (a few dog treats certainly help!)

Thanks for your words of wisdom everyone!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 6th Nov '06 6:08PM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
How was the slobberfest? Anything like this?
http://home.mtholyoke.edu/~rjschaef/honey.html

This website is fantastic

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy