Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Digg Delicious and the like - 1 to 17
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 17th Nov '06 12:17PM
4213 Posts
I've noticed a lot of sites have these digg and delicious links on them so people can rate them on social networking sites.

I don't really know how they work, but should we get some?

It could be a good way to promote the forum.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:21PM
4597 Posts
I have never heard of these, can you point me towards some examples?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:33PM
4213 Posts
I think digg allows you to logg stuff you like for other people to see it

http://www.digg.com/

I've seen some sites that have "automaticly report this page to digg buttons" on them.

http://www.digg.com/tools/integrate

there seems to be some integration info on here:

I'm less sure about del.icio.us

http://del.icio.us/

http://del.icio.us/about/

Stumble is annother, but I don't know much about it either

http://www.stumbleupon.com/

I think the purpose of these sites is to find cool bits of the internet and bring them to peoples attention. I think if we either encouraged users to sign up or added integration into tddo then we might up the hit count.

I'll find out more about them and report back

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 17th Nov '06 3:53PM
4213 Posts
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2006/tc20061116_750580.htm?campaign_id=bier_tcv.g3a.rssm1116c

This site has the fancy digg and del.icio.us buttons

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 17th Nov '06 4:42PM
4213 Posts
I've submitted the dove thread to digg to see what happens.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 17th Nov '06 5:30PM
4678 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

Digg is currently the biggest Links site on the net. If this catches on, prepare for a HUGE influx of guests - hope your servers can handle it Spanners!

Spanners*
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:15AM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Digg is currently the biggest Links site on the net. If this catches on, prepare for a HUGE influx of guests - hope your servers can handle it Spanners!

Sweet! Brace yerselves...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 20th Nov '06 8:46PM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Sweet! Brace yerselves...

Hmm, no diggs so far. If you want to help things along, go here, login or register (free) and use the 'Digg' button to bump up our visibility.

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:55PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Hmm, no diggs so far. If you want to help things along, go here, login or register (free) and use the 'Digg' button to bump up our visibility.

done

i've also posted comments as 'dizietdaddy'.

hope it helps

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 21st Nov '06 3:34PM
4213 Posts
I've now registered with Stumble and Digg and I am Digging and Stumbling all the good forum stuff I find which people might like.

Maybe somthing will catch on and bring some people our way.

I tend to be monquixote on signup able things btw

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 22nd Nov '06 11:52AM
1673 Posts
I too have Dugg the Dove thread. I'm not sure how much attention it'll get, though, because there isn't really any info there about what's said in the discussion, to make people want to read it. Ah well, we shall see!

My name in Digg is ErnestCrisp - for no reason whatsoever. I just liked it.

And by the way, General - I noticed you'd Dugg the thing I put on there ages ago about our walk to Edinburgh. Thanks! But how did you even know it was there? (and oddly, there's at least one other Digg entry that's about that same event - a random person put a link to the Ananova article about us. Cool huh?)

Malcolm*
Wed 22nd Nov '06 11:57AM
1673 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
done

i've also posted comments as 'dizietdaddy'.

hope it helps

Aw, Diziet, I've just read the comment you wrote! On behalf of everybody - thanks!

I was going to add one myself, but in the end decided it might be better if I didn't. That way, I can post links to here without looking as though I'm necessarily a member -i.e. I can just look like a passing person who found something interesting.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 22nd Nov '06 12:23PM
4213 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

And by the way, General - I noticed you'd Dugg the thing I put on there ages ago about our walk to Edinburgh. Thanks! But how did you even know it was there?

I have added you all as friends on my digg account and noticed that demian had dugg your story an all

I'm thinking about making a little bit of text on ways to promote the forum for users etc

Does anyone else think that is a good idea?

Spanners*
Wed 22nd Nov '06 12:30PM
4597 Posts

I'm thinking about making a little bit of text on ways to promote the forum for users etc

Does anyone else think that is a good idea?

Yeah totally! This all sounds like it has great potential for advertising. Thanks for all your effort guys

Malcolm*
Wed 22nd Nov '06 12:49PM
1673 Posts
Definitely sounds like a good idea - but with one small caveat: the more of this we do, the more people on other sites might come over to the forum. Excellent. But when they arrive, it won't look good if the place is full of discussion about how to woo them over - especially if we're thinking of crafty ways to do it.

So, I think the key thing is that the thing you write, General, needs to focus on ways that people can promote it that are completely honest. By this, I mean it should essentially be "If you've seen a thread that you think is interesting, informative or entertaining and want to tell others about it, here are some ways you could do it..." That way there's no problem.

Does that make sense?

(Also, I've come up with a fab new promotion method. It'll take a bit of working out but, I think, might work very well, is free of charge and as far as I'm aware has never been thought of before. (I might be wrong though.) I'm just working out the details then I'll start a new thread with instructions! )

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 22nd Nov '06 2:13PM
4213 Posts

it won't look good if the place is full of discussion about how to woo them over - especially if we're thinking of crafty ways to do it.

So, I think the key thing is that the thing you write, General, needs to focus on ways that people can promote it that are completely honest.

Does that make sense?

Absolute sense.

I was intending to basicly list simple and easy ways to promote the forum if you so desired, but nothing underhand like google bombing or spamming or anything silly like that as that would end up just getting us flamed to death.

Malcolm*
Mon 27th Nov '06 7:13PM
1673 Posts

(Also, I've come up with a fab new promotion method. It'll take a bit of working out but, I think, might work very well, is free of charge and as far as I'm aware has never been thought of before. (I might be wrong though.) I'm just working out the details then I'll start a new thread with instructions! )

OK folks, it's ready - here it is!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy