Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Damn that was close - 1 to 9
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:07AM
4597 Posts
So this morning we came about this close |<--->| to having no more Forum. Gone. Kaputt.

What happened is that due to the tinyest bug (no, really it was one single missing '$' in one SQL statement) when Amanshu moved a post from a thread in GM to the admin board (yeah, admins can do that and much much more!) instead of just moving that one post it moved every post in the Forum. All 19749. Meaning that every thread was empty except for the one on the admin board which contained every post. Gah!

So I considered going through every post and manually reassigning them to their threads, starting the Forum fresh again or restoring from the only backup I have at work which is from the 4th of July.
None of them was in any way good enough!

So I picked up my phone and proceeded to spend half an hour talking to a support guy from our server people in Utah who managed to restore a backup from yesterday morning. Before he did this I grabbed the last dozen or so posts, threads and personal messages (made since the backup) and then was able to reinsert them manually to bring the data back up to where it was.

So all is well now but I'm going to make damn sure that regular backups are made, preferably by several administrators just in case.

Also I know Amanshu was rather panicked about this but it was in no way his fault, what he did should have been a safe admin function but the bug I'd left screwed things up. No harm, no foul.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:24AM
4213 Posts
Well done Spanners our illustrious leader saves our Bacon once again!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:30AM
1673 Posts
Crikey! Sounds like it was incredibly fortunate that this particular bug was found on a Sunday evening when many of the forummers were away in York, and hence very little forum activity. Could have been horrendous if it'd happened mid-week.

I'm now investigating ways of making backups from here. (this isn't a techy thread, so I won't go into detail, but if anyone knows the unix FTP command to Get an entire directory structure with no prompts, feel free to send me a private message.)

But yes, the main thing, as General so rightly says, is well done Spanners for some ingenious quick thinking! If only other web/software programmers were as conscientious as he about fixing problems, we'd all be better off!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:13AM
4678 Posts
Wow... that had me worried!

'Mad propz' to Spanners for getting us back up again though! Lucky our Utah-based guys seem to know what they're doing this time!

Hope you didn't panic too much Amanshu!

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:19AM
288 Posts
Phew, for a moment I thought I'd actually have to do some work today.
Thanks Spanners for getting us running again!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:20AM
2708 Posts
I wasn't panicking at all. Devolving possibly, regressing is close. Suicidal is a little bit too much but there was a certain amount of depression to be sure...

I mean imagine how you'd feel if you broke the ENTIRE forum in one fell swoop. It was not my best moment on earth I have to admit.

Thank you so much for fixing this Spanners, I'm not sure what I would have done if I'd permanently destroyed everything!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:23AM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Wow... that had me worried!

'Mad propz' to Spanners for getting us back up again though! Lucky our Utah-based guys seem to know what they're doing this time!

Hope you didn't panic too much Amanshu!

having spoken to amanshu in the chat room while it was all going on, i can confirm that he took it like a man. albeit a man who was clearly a bit shaken up.

nice one for getting the forum back spanners. i thought it was all over for a while there!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:57AM
4597 Posts
In fact I feel that given their awesome support this morning and quite literally saving us I should recommend Bluehost to all forummers and the wider internet community.
Wanna web server? Give them a shout!

Also

one fell swoop

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 20th Nov '06 9:07PM
1558 Posts
Now don't bring me into all this! Anyway, yay for Spanners and the Utah Saints!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy