Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The Daddy.org post meetup thread 2006 - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:18AM
2708 Posts
*poke*

Anyone? I'm dying here! I require photos and memories. Even a vague outline of events would be good!

Hell, to be honest I just want to know who won what...

*poke*

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:21AM
4213 Posts
Come on then spill the beans!

Those of us what didn't get to go want to know what kind of debauched antics you got up to, how much gin was drunk and who passed out nd got drawn on!

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Mon 20th Nov '06 10:54AM
838 Posts
It really was a most marvellous weekend. No, really, it was. Gertrude's ears even grew two inches in celebration. I'll leave it until someone with pictures and a decent internet connection uploads some stuff to give full details, suffice to say that there are several people in York who will never forget the daddy's influence...

I still have a General on a stick too, if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do with it.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:02AM
4213 Posts

Clara was bold enough to comment:

I still have a General on a stick too, if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do with it.

Oh Lord!

I think annother post meet photo story is in order!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:37AM
4678 Posts
By now I'm used to the incredibly high quality of posting we're lucky enough to be able to maintain round here. But this weekend I was yet again amazed by what awesome people you all are in real life too

I'll be sending my piccies over to Spanners later in the day, I believe he's planning to collate them all onto a single page like we did last time.

As to what happened, well... the rough sequence of events was:

- Meetup and Lunch at the Star Inne

- Awards Ceremony. Watch out for the awards thread coming soon! I believe there was an accolade (or at least a puzzling vegetable!) for everyone in attendance, and plenty more awards too. Several of you who weren't there also won awards, however due to the perishable nature of the prizes your reward must be of the spiritual, rather than edible, nature

- Treasure Hunt / Peg-based city centre game, meticulously planned out by Malcolm, Kelly, Clara and Deanery. This took us all over the city in four groups, attempting to be the winners by collecting the most TDDO stickers hidden around the city whilst stealing the other team's labels and protecting our own. 'Team Tench' (Clara, Gertrude and myself) quickly realised our best strategy involved a good hiding place and a game of fuzzy felt in order to protect our dwindling supply of labels from the rest of the teams which seemed to be picking us off rapidly despite our thoroughly effective disguises.

- Re-assembly at the Star and preparation for the evening's events.

- Malcolm's Ghost Tour! This was exactly 43 times more entertaining than I had been expecting, and I saw a whole new side of Malcolm I'd never seen before! All I can say is, if you've never experienced this, you should probably start weaving ponchos right now until you've raised the means to get to York and see it! The crowd was highly moved by the story of poor Demian, the little lost dog who was bricked up in the Minster and who's ghostly howling can still be heard to this day. Daddy.org references were in abundance, as was the comedy and lightning-fast put-downs for any hecklers who dared take Malcolm on! What a star!

- Caesar's Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant - excellent food, and a very warm welcome and free goodies from the staff. Highly recommended if you're looking for a tasty and reasonably priced pizza. Spanners and I even risked our lives with the scallops, which were amazing despite our family history of allergy to them! A small chocolatey token of our appreciation presented to Spanners for, well, being Spanners

- Intermission (aka sleep)

- Reassembly of some of the group at Malcolm and Kelly's for a relaxing start to Sunday. Freshly-brewed cinammon coffee, gadget hilarity and HORSE abounded!

- A mighty fine lunch at a pub whose name I forget - a lunch, in fact, of such epic proportions that even I couldn't finish!

- Tea / Coffee / Hot Chocolate in the Alley Cats cellar

- Final Group photo in front of a statue of John Constantine, psychic warrior and modern-day shaman. Don't mention Newcastle! At least, I think that's who it was

It was a huge pleasure to see you all again, and to meet those of you who weren't along last time / new to the forums. Massive thanks also go to Malcolm and Kelly for putting 3 of us reprobates up for the night with such excellent hospitality.

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:38AM
288 Posts
I'd like to say a big thank you not only to Malcolm and Kelly for the organising and the whole putting me up (and putting up with me) at their place, but to everyone there. To say I've not really posted much here and never met any of you (excepting Swoop and Demian), I found it really easy to get on with all of you, and felt welcome from the first hello to the last peg-attack.
So yes, thank you everyone for helping make that weekend fantastic.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:45AM
4597 Posts
It was fantastic!
Lots of lovely people, running about York, Ghost Trailing, eating loverly Italian food, getting cold in the Yorkshire winds... It was all good!
Plus with the addition of Amanshu, Dregan, General and BB on-a-sticks we blasted last years turnout

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Mon 20th Nov '06 12:23PM
510 Posts
After a rather grim Friday of work-induced frustration, that was totally the weekend I needed! Brilliant to see you all again, and to meet the new folk.

Demian's covered pretty much everything that went on, although I think mention should be made of the sword-wielding drunkards who attempted to dance for us, until Malcolm used his power and authority to remove us and the many other ghost-trailers to safety.

I feel this weekend has taught me many things about myself, and indeed the world: most notably, the fact that bitter melons smell like stick insects.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 20th Nov '06 12:55PM
212 Posts
For those of you who, in the aftermath of an exceptionally enjoyable weekend, are left wondering how to cook the more obscure variants of vegetable which may have entered your possession, you might find the following remarks in todays Guardian helpful: http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1952306,00.html

I'm off to butter a radish. Thanks to all for making the last 2 days very indeed (and by I mean 'spectacular' rather than 'gin')!!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 20th Nov '06 1:02PM
2708 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

- Treasure Hunt / Peg-based city centre game, meticulously planned out by Malcolm, Kelly, Clara and Deanery.

See this really needs to be expanded on. What were the rules? What were the pegs? What sort of places were they hidden? I need to know these details so that I can reach my peak point of explosive jealousy...

- Malcolm's Ghost Tour!

It is rather marvellous, althought I've yet to experience one tailored to the people I've been there with. I must do that at some point I think!

- A mighty fine lunch at a pub whose name I forget - a lunch, in fact, of such epic proportions that even I couldn't finish!

That'll be the Mason's Arms then. I have finished a meal there - once - but it was more determination than anything else!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 20th Nov '06 8:40PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:

That'll be the Mason's Arms then. I have finished a meal there - once - but it was more determination than anything else!

That's the chappie!

Demian was bold enough to comment:

- Treasure Hunt / Peg-based city centre game, meticulously planned out by Malcolm, Kelly, Clara and Deanery.

See this really needs to be expanded on. What were the rules? What were the pegs? What sort of places were they hidden? I need to know these details so that I can reach my peak point of explosive jealousy...

I'm sure one of the organisers can post up the rules I have some pictures that may help to demonstrate the finer points of label-napping and pumpkin-posing, however I'm currently experiencing an unexpected US camera wire shortage. I should be able to pick one up at lunchtime tomorrow and get the pics sent after work.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 20th Nov '06 9:33PM
1558 Posts
The Mason's Arms deserves another mention. When ordering the Lamb and Guinness hotpot, little did I realise the flabbergasting amount of food I would receive, nor that it would be laced with chilli and quite the tastiest thing I've eaten for at least three yonks.

I'd like to thank Kelly and Malcom for their most welcome hospitality, and to apologise for claiming that their towels were in anyway salty. I've since come to learn that their towels are both fluffy and absorbent. The coffee and the welcome though, were gentle and comforting.
Malcom's ghost tour was, as has been pointed out, far far more fantastic that I could have expected, you are a story telling comedic master Mr Malcolm, your crowd wooing abilities are way beyond anything I've heard before.

It was lovely to see all of you there, especially the new faces, but that's not to say those of you with old faces weren't equally appreciated.
I'd like to especially thank all of you who patiently nodded and smiled as I relived parts of my childhood with random outbursts of nostalgia and bizarre memories. It's been almost 14 years since I've been in York and I couldn't imagine a better way to wander round and see the sights of my childhood.

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Tue 21st Nov '06 12:27AM
278 Posts
Aww it sounded brill. I wish we were there. I'v been on four of those ghost tours and they are really good. Your tour is the one that cuts his arm int it?

Im green with envy

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 21st Nov '06 8:49AM
1673 Posts

Ginger fury was bold enough to comment:
Your tour is the one that cuts his arm int it?

Ooh, no! That's the enemy who does that. There's about 8 ghost tours in York, but only one of them is the enemy, and it's him. Oooh, no.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 21st Nov '06 9:22AM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

There's about 8 ghost tours in York, but only one of them is the enemy, and it's him. Oooh, no.

I thought you had two enemies now whatshisface has returned?

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Tue 21st Nov '06 12:42PM
894 Posts
Im sad i missed it now but i was there in spirit on a stick so not all bad
Hope it was good and full of fun and gin
BB xxx

Ummm Interesting !!!!

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Tue 21st Nov '06 1:11PM
215 Posts
Errrr, like, helllooooo!!!! Where are the freaking photos, dude?!!! Break 'em out, man.

Feign
Tue 21st Nov '06 1:58PM
288 Posts

Three enemies - that's counting the troupe of drunken sword-dancers as one enemy mind.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 21st Nov '06 2:01PM
1673 Posts

Feign was bold enough to comment:

Three enemies - that's counting the troupe of drunken sword-dancers as one enemy mind.

Hmm, good point, But I don't think they count as enemies. One enemy, one uneasy acquaintance, and one band of fools.

But let's get this thread back to the subject in hand - I have just sent all my pictures over to Spanners, including the ones taken during the course of the Mystery Afternoon Game, so they should be arriving soon. I urge you all to do the same! Also, I'll post up details of the Mystery Afternoon Game later today.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 21st Nov '06 2:12PM
4597 Posts

Arabstrap was bold enough to comment:
Errrr, like, helllooooo!!!! Where are the freaking photos, dude?!!! Break 'em out, man.

Many snaps are on their way over to me and I'll make a page in the next coupla days. Meanwhile people must have more stories to relate

But as a quick teaser, here's Oooood feeding some mashed potato to Dregan-on-a-stick

Feign
Tue 21st Nov '06 2:12PM
288 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

But let's get this thread back to the subject in hand - I have just sent all my pictures over to Spanners, including the ones taken during the course of the Mystery Afternoon Game, so they should be arriving soon. I urge you all to do the same! Also, I'll post up details of the Mystery Afternoon Game later today.

My photos have also been received by the tall one, and I have to say that Swoop in a cowboy hat looks even better when not confined to the tiny display screen of my camera.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 21st Nov '06 2:22PM
2708 Posts
I wanna see Amanshu-on-a-stick!

Actually, was there Amanshu-on-a-stick?

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Tue 21st Nov '06 2:40PM
579 Posts

There was. We had to hide it a few times, because it scared us.

Allen Key
Tue 21st Nov '06 4:19PM
510 Posts
I am currently in possession of Amanshu-on-a-stick.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 21st Nov '06 5:18PM
4678 Posts
OK, here's some, managed to low-res them to save Spanners' bandwidth. Unfortunately most of the indoor shots I took didn't come out very well. Spanners - let me know if you want the high-res versions for your page.

Spanners, Ooood, Henrietta and a little bit of Swoop

Feign thinking about cottage cheese

BB, Amanshu, Dregan and General perform Bohemian Rhapsody for Spanners

Swoop, Ooood, General

Clara and Deanery (who has promised to post at least 12 times before the next meet!)

Gertrude and Clara enjoying a pumpkin. Gertrude is also modelling one of the TDDO labels we had pegged all over us, which were the objectives of the treasure hunt / sneak & grab game - hence the cunning disguises. We also got the owner of the disguise shop to log onto the forums in curiosity

Malcolm travelled two months into the future to amaze and astound us with tales of ooze and terror

Allen Key, Kelly and Basil

Homiez 4 lyfe yo

Mildred enjoying a particularly fine hat

Kelly casts a demon out of Swoop

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 21st Nov '06 6:10PM
2522 Posts
demian, you appear to be several stone lighter and several years younger than the last time i saw you! whats your secret?

and i take back my nomination for forumer most likely to a celebrity coz feign definitely looks like someone famous....i just can't remember who.

brilliant photos! will there be more?

edit - two of the photos aren't working. one of them is of the king of absenceness (?) deanery. deanery - do you have some mystical power of invisibility?

editedit - the photo of clara and deanery is working, actually. now i'm even more determined to take back my nomination for forumer most likely to be a celebrity because deanery reminds me of someone famous too. and yet again i can't remember who.

editeditedit - okay, they're all working. must be my crappy broadband and its slow loading times. ah well, time for a drink...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 21st Nov '06 7:05PM
2708 Posts
No idea about Feign, but Deanery reminds you of Anthony Stewart Head. If you pop over to his Happy Birthday thread you'll find a picture for comparison...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 21st Nov '06 7:12PM
4678 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
demian, you appear to be several stone lighter and several years younger than the last time i saw you! whats your secret?

I'm the one on the right

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 22nd Nov '06 9:15AM
2708 Posts

Gertrude was bold enough to comment:

There was. We had to hide it a few times, because it scared us.

It's nice to know I was still there in spirit, if not in person!

Allen Key was equally bold enough to comment:

I am currently in possession of Amanshu-on-a-stick.

And I hope you're treating it right - giving it plenty of fresh air and exercise and feeding it plenty of cookies. It might look fiercesome but it does actually nurse a deep and greivious paranoia complex and really only wants to be loved!

Allen Key
Wed 22nd Nov '06 12:19PM
510 Posts
Hmm, that sounds like a much higher level of responsibility than I was anticipating when I accepted the role of Amanshu-on-a-stick's chief care-giver...

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy