Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Chat room - 1 to 30
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Thu 23rd Nov '06 11:12PM
579 Posts
I'm having issues using the chatroom. I click on people and apparently they get a message to say I've done so, but then nothing happens. Am I being thick, or is there a problem?

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 24th Nov '06 7:32AM
4597 Posts
When you click on a person they get a message to say you want to talk to them in the chatroom, then you need to open a chatroom window via the link on the menu bar at the top and wait. Equally if people are already in there you will get a message on the front page and the link on the menu bar will go dark, then just click the link and join the chat.
Make sense?
sp

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Sun 26th Nov '06 4:53PM
579 Posts
Woo, I managed to get into the chatroom. Clearly I was being a nitwit before.

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 30th Nov '06 11:03PM
2522 Posts
any chance of a 'private chat' facility?

cheers

Spanners*
Sun 3rd Dec '06 5:50AM
4597 Posts
Done! (Get in!)

After some searching I've found a free piece of third party software that runs on php and mysql and I was able to integrate it fully into the Forum.
This means that you are automatically logged in to it as your forum username, the chatroom link and the front page will still tell you when people are in there and you can still invite people as usual. Also forum administrators will automatically be set as administrators of the chatroom.

There is currently one general purpose area for group chats but you can also make private chat room and invite people into them when you want to talk about personal stuff.

I still have some playing around to do with the look and feel but functionally it should be all good. Let me know if you have any problems.

sp

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sun 3rd Dec '06 9:17AM
1673 Posts
Wow, that's the kind of major change that could only happen when Spanners is on a night shift. Well done there Spanman! Although I imagine it brought a tear to your eye that there's now a bit of the forum that hasn't been programmed by your own self...

I noticed that logging is turned on - can I suggest that we disable it, perhaps once the chatroom's been fully tested? If the contents of people's chats are being stored then we'd really need to let them know. Plus it theoretically opens us up to things like data protection etc...

Anyway, looks like a major bit of work getting that up and running - well done.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 3rd Dec '06 11:05AM
4678 Posts
This is fantastic!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 3rd Dec '06 11:12AM
2522 Posts
excellent work spanners!

nice one

Spanners*
Sun 3rd Dec '06 4:32PM
4597 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
I noticed that logging is turned on - can I suggest that we disable it, perhaps once the chatroom's been fully tested? If the contents of people's chats are being stored then we'd really need to let them know. Plus it theoretically opens us up to things like data protection etc...

Oh yeah you're right, sorry hadn't gone through all the admin stuff yet but it's turned off now. We will never keep a record of peoples private conversations - that's a TDDO guarantee

Hopefully finish my tweaks on it tonight.

And yeah, it was with mixed feelings that I integrated non-spanners code but hey, why reinvent the wheel!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Sun 3rd Dec '06 4:49PM
579 Posts
If I try and get into the chatroom, it says this

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/thedaddy/public_html/forum/misc_admin.html on line 333

What does it mean??

Spanners*
Sun 3rd Dec '06 5:44PM
4597 Posts
Aha that error didn't happen when you used the chatroom, it was produced when you tried to invite someone to it.
Little typo in the code - fixed now

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Sun 3rd Dec '06 7:19PM
579 Posts
You're a genius! And I'm sorry if I confused you, I meant to change my comment to say it went wrong when I pressed invite. But you're so clever you got there before me!

Spanners*
Mon 4th Dec '06 3:31AM
4597 Posts
OK I've done a few more tweaks to the chatroom - layout is a bit nicer, user tracking is enhanced etc but I should let you know of a few bugs, some that I've spotted, others that are known with this system and I've been reading about in the support forum.

Sometimes it will show the same person more than once in the 'users online' list. Can you let me know if and when you see this as there are steps I can take.

Sometimes you may see your or someone else's comment repeated 4 or 5 times.

Any other issues, let me know.

sp

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 4th Dec '06 10:26AM
2708 Posts
That is fab!

So I take it the new chatroom is going to be a permanent fixture, or is it just bidding it's time until you finish writing your own masterpiece?

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Mon 4th Dec '06 1:56PM
288 Posts
I just want to add my thanks and say that I'm very impressed with your dedication Spanners, 3.31AM on Monday morning and still not satisified!

Spanners*
Mon 4th Dec '06 4:22PM
4597 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
So I take it the new chatroom is going to be a permanent fixture, or is it just bidding it's time until you finish writing your own masterpiece?

Yeah I think we'll stick with this one, no point reinventing the wheel. Plus I have been tweaking the scripts all weekend so it's got a slight Spanners flavour to it

Spanners*
Wed 6th Dec '06 5:50AM
4597 Posts
OK I've put in a function to bring the chat window to the front when the is a new message. Exactly the same as we had in the old one.
While I'm on the topic of notifications what does anyone think of the midi files that play when there is a new message and when someone enters the room? General is looking into some new midi files but it will also work with wavs. Anyone got any better soundage?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 6th Dec '06 9:41AM
4213 Posts
Ooo I can make us some snazzy wavs.

What are the sound events?

Are they enter, exit, and message?

Could we customise it to have personal chat room enter wavs cos that would be cool!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 6th Dec '06 12:45PM
2708 Posts
They're nice enough the current ones, but yeah some newer snazzy ones would be cool! And of course a choice for entry would be cool too!

Spanners*
Wed 6th Dec '06 3:20PM
4597 Posts
Currently there is one for enter/exit and one for new message. I may be able to adjust the script to distinguish enter from exit and a personal chat message from a gneral chat message.
If you can stand to have one or two potentially not used (or used for summat else) then make 4 by all means, they all need to be about a second, 2 secs tops.
Thanks for doing that fella

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Sun 31st Dec '06 8:07PM
1558 Posts
The 'bring to front on new message' doesn't seem to be working for me.

Spanners*
Wed 3rd Jan '07 11:09AM
4597 Posts
What browser you on?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 8th Jan '07 5:00PM
4678 Posts
I think the Swoopster is a Firefox man. You know, left-handed and all that, you can't really hold it against him

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Thu 11th Jan '07 10:49PM
1558 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
I think the Swoopster is a Firefox man. You know, left-handed and all that, you can't really hold it against him

Indeed it's so. Firefox. lefthandedness, telepathic powers, enjoying Chinese food. It's all part of the same scale. We're just more evolved than the world can handle at the moment. It's like being able to tie our shoelaces without looking and being able to love or or to differentiate between turquoise and destiny.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 11th Jan '07 11:24PM
4213 Posts
Big up the left handed Firefox users!

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 12th Jan '07 12:35PM
2522 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:

lefthandedness

a witch! burn him!

BUUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNN HIIIIIIIIIMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Spanners*
Fri 12th Jan '07 10:08PM
4597 Posts
OK I've had a play. Although your lefthanded telepathy should have already told you that
Let me know if it works

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 13th Apr '07 12:33PM
2708 Posts
Interesting point - I had to download a huge file at work overnight, so I left Firefox running. It also happened to have the forum up, but I assume after I was away for a while it stopped marking me as present as normal.

I got home last night and logged on. While there I noticed that Gertrude was sitting in the chatroom on her own and although I considered popping into join her I was in a bit of a rush and figured she'd invite me if she wanted to catch up.

I then got into work this morning to discover she had invited me, it was just that the invite went to my work machine.

I'm not really sure if this is fixable, but I thought you might like to know...?

Spanners*
Fri 13th Apr '07 1:05PM
4597 Posts
Hmmm, that's strange. The chatroom doesn't 'send' invites to a particular machine, it just marks in your profile that you have been invited and the next time a page is loaded from any machine that's logged in as you the message will pop up.
Do you have some sort of page refresh script running on your work machine? That's the only way I can think of this happening.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 13th Apr '07 1:33PM
2708 Posts
Ah, that would explain it - I've got a script that refreshes the page every so often that runs on my work machine, so it must have got there first!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy