Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
'Please select a thread tag' - 1 to 14
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 24th Nov '06 9:59AM
1673 Posts
I just fell foul of the not-having-selected-a-tag problem and, let me say, the "Please select a thread tag" thing worked perfectly. Definitely a good development!

However... I think we should change it. Or change something related to it. I'm concerned that a new person here won't have any idea what it means. This forum is, I think, massively more user-friendly to the unititiated than most of them are, so it may well be that we've got people coming in who are put off by such jargon. I think this could easily be remedied by adding a simple Thread tag: title above the block where you select a tag. That way people will see what the warning refers to and will simultaneously become slightly more initiated in the terminology.

Sound ok?

edit - also, when I initially submitted this, the title of the thread had quotation marks around it. This resulted in a weird SQL error message.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 24th Nov '06 10:51AM
4597 Posts
Good call my friend, 'tis done!

And the quotes thing - wow, we've survived nearly 4 years without this bug being noticed!
Fixed now but for certain logistical reasons double quotes will automatically be replaced by single quotes.

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 24th Nov '06 9:22PM
2522 Posts
can we have a kind of 'get out of jail free' thread tag called 'i was pissed while i wrote this', or something similiarlier? pref in big fonts?

cheers

hic!

Spanners*
Sat 25th Nov '06 3:20PM
4597 Posts
Yeah sounds good, but to make the selectioner balance I'll need to add in pairs. So any thoughts on another tag to add?
Also Malcolm is the designer of all our tags so we need to ask him very nicely to design the new ones

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 25th Nov '06 6:43PM
4678 Posts
How about 'Request'?

Spanners*
Tue 5th Dec '06 5:01PM
4597 Posts
Or, 'Advice' maybe, given the success of Diz and Malc's threads recently.
Malcolm, think you can rustle anything up?

Malcolm*
Tue 5th Dec '06 5:17PM
1673 Posts
Ah yes, I was thinking about this - as you say, given the success of my and diziet's recent appeals. How about a general "help!" tag? That would cover advice, requests, enquiries and also the sort of thing that I sometimes use the forum for, where we generally just canvass each other's opinions. As the forum gets bigger that kind of thing could become a really useful aspect of it.

And as for rustling them up - it may not be for a couple of weeks but yes!

Spanners*
Tue 5th Dec '06 10:18PM
4597 Posts
Sounds good fella. As ever, thank you very much for your help, no pressure like.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 6th Dec '06 12:24AM
2708 Posts
Actually as a differing opinion, how about a "bit of fun" tag? Or maybe just "fun" tag? It's possible overlaps with "stupid" or "gubbins" but somehow I think they feel different...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 9th Dec '06 9:20PM
4678 Posts
I think 'Help' and/or 'Request' should definitely be in there. 'Fun' and 'Drunk' could be useful too but not quite so often.

Might be worth thinking about if we'll ever need a 'Poll' tag in the future if 27 points of difficulty prove surmountable...

Spanners*
Tue 12th Dec '06 4:55PM
4597 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Might be worth thinking about if we'll ever need a 'Poll' tag in the future if 27 points of difficulty prove surmountable...

Yeah would be nice to have the image for future potential but I think if I make the poll function then it will put on the image automatically. I wouldn't put it in the selection area. So we need a poll image plus 2 more

Spanners*
Sun 11th Mar '07 10:21PM
4597 Posts
'Help' and 'Drunk' thread tags are now in place thanks once again to the artistic prowess of Mr Malcolm. Damn he's a good lad!

Malcolm*
Mon 12th Mar '07 9:15AM
1673 Posts
Ooh, quick work uploading those, Spanners!

I've just noticed, though - apologies to Diziet, who suggested the "drunk" thread and specifically requested it be in a big easy-to-see font - so I went and made it harder to read than any of the others. Oh well...

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 12th Mar '07 5:06PM
2522 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Ooh, quick work uploading those, Spanners!

I've just noticed, though - apologies to Diziet, who suggested the "drunk" thread and specifically requested it be in a big easy-to-see font - so I went and made it harder to read than any of the others. Oh well...

just to let you know i had a look at the new 'drunk' thread tag. i find it very easy to read - possibly this is a mixture of the stigma in my left eye and the fact that i got off to an early start with the booze today. anyway, i think the blurriness might make it easier for those who are plastered to read in a counteractive visibility due to sloshedeness kind of way. that last sentence started out well but was pretty hard to end.

cheers malcolm and spanners

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To TheDaddy.org Forum

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy