Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
TDDO Biweekly Challenge 11! - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 19th Mar '07 5:39PM
4213 Posts
Welcome To The TDDO Biweekly Challenge Number 11!

Thanks to Mrsham as last weeks judge and well done to Diz as last weeks winner

This weeks devilish mission is set and judged by Diz and has all the makings of an excellent challenge!

The challenge is to post encoded messages for other forum members to decipher whilst trying to decipher the messages of other forum members.
The winner will be the forumer who Diz judges to have made the best combination of setting ingenious but vaguely soluble puzzles and solving the puzzles of others.

Feel free to use any type of code that takes your fancy I would especially like to see the odd rebus, or pictogram in the mix.

If you solve a puzzle please post the unencrypted text and your solution in hidden text [[ like this ]]
If you aren't sure how to do hidden text then look in the forum help guide.

The competition will run until 30th of March at 5pm or whenever Diziet gets around to posting up the winner!

To start you off I will give you a couple of puzzles to be getting on with.

(1) 1.14-5.1.19.25-15.14.5-20.15-19.20.1.18.20

(2) Guvf arkg bar zvtug or n yvggyr uneqre

Do that funky cypher thing!

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Tue 20th Mar '07 9:55AM
811 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
To start you off I will give you a couple of puzzles to be getting on with.

(1) 1.14-5.1.19.25-15.14.5-20.15-19.20.1.18.20

(2) Guvf arkg bar zvtug or n yvggyr uneqre

[[]1) an-easy-one-to-start[]]
[[2) This next one might be a little harder]]

Top notch challenge! I see myself getting not a lot done this week at work!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 20th Mar '07 10:06AM
4678 Posts
Iioa, u diefir ri wbrwe klar qwwj'a xglkkwbfw. Qwkk sibw ri Sumuwr lbtqlt!

Agentgonzo
Tue 20th Mar '07 10:24AM
811 Posts

Agentgonzo
Tue 20th Mar '07 10:54AM
811 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Iioa, u diefir ri wbrwe klar qwwj'a xglkkwbfw. Qwkk sibw ri Sumuwr lbtqlt!

[["oops, i forgot to enter last week's challenge. well done to diziet anyway!" - A monoalphabetic cipher with what appears to be a random key.]]
Ydco co m.p.nf yflcbi cbyr a ',.pyf t.fxrape yday dao x..b jrbucigp.e urp ekrpatv

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 20th Mar '07 11:39AM
4597 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

Like it
[[Warning!
An exception <exception number> has occurred at <memory address> in <service> + < other memory address>. This was called from <memory address> in <service> + < other memory address>. It may be possible to continue normally.
Press any key to attempt to continue.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose unsaved information in any programs that are running.
Press any key to continue
]]

0a1236f7b22528eb62c7f02d088b4a61
GurQnqql.bet ebpxf gur zvp!

Agentgonzo
Tue 20th Mar '07 11:43AM
811 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Like it
[[Warning!
An exception <exception number> has occurred at <memory address> in <service> + < other memory address>. This was called from <memory address> in <service> + < other memory address>. It may be possible to continue normally.
Press any key to attempt to continue.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose unsaved information in any programs that are running.
Press any key to continue
]]

Yeah, that's not the message though. Sorry! Try again

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Wed 21st Mar '07 9:38PM
140 Posts
maya zythem difference Viennese oestrus thirty-second puzzel irvingite requirable

Agentgonzo
Thu 22nd Mar '07 11:25AM
811 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
0a1236f7b22528eb62c7f02d088b4a61
GurQnqql.bet ebpxf gur zvp!

[[TheDaddy.org rocks the mic!]]. Not sure what that large hex number is though.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 22nd Mar '07 11:33AM
4213 Posts

Clever stuff

Nice work on the code breaking, but could you also include what you believe the coding scheme to be in your answers so us thickies can go "aaaaaahhhhhhh I get it!"

Agentgonzo
Thu 22nd Mar '07 11:39AM
811 Posts

Agentgonzo
Thu 22nd Mar '07 12:00PM
811 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

Clever stuff

Nice work on the code breaking, but could you also include what you believe the coding scheme to be in your answers so us thickies can go "aaaaaahhhhhhh I get it!"

Fair enough:
1.14-5.1.19.25-15.14.5-20.15-19.20.1.18.20 [[The numbers are the letters of the alphabet in order (1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, ... 26 = z). A dot delimits these numbers, a dash is a break in the words.]]

Guvf arkg bar zvtug or n yvggyr uneqre [[This is a Caesar cipher or ROT13. Get each letter, and then add 13 to it (ie, a = n, b = m, etc). This has the advantage of being symmetric - ie, the method of encryption and decryption are identical - making en- and de-ciphering the same]]

Iioa, u diefir ri wbrwe klar qwwj'a xglkkwbfw. Qwkk sibw ri Sumuwr lbtqlt! [[This one uses monoalphabetic substitution. That is, each letter changes into another letter according to the key:
LPXSWDFGUVJKYBIOHEARZCQNTM
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

ie, L = a, P = b, X = c, etc. In this case, the key seems to have been generated completely randomly.
]]

GurQnqql.bet ebpxf gur zvp![[This again is a Caesar cipher with a=n (or ROT13)]].

I may have a little advantage in this challenge. I've had quite an interest in classical cryptography (before the age of computers) for a while and have read many a book on them. For those who are interested, Simon Singh's "the code book" is a good basic starting point. It also had a challenge at the back. 10 codes ranging from the basic caesar cipher right up to 3DES. The first person to crack all 10 received 10,000 (it took them about 13 months I think).

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 22nd Mar '07 12:28PM
4213 Posts

More clever stuff

Cheers dude

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Thu 22nd Mar '07 7:27PM
278 Posts
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 22nd Mar '07 10:37PM
2708 Posts
Okay then, how about this one:

WADD PUOF HSSY FGEZ HCII VRHW IPFB HF

Agentgonzo
Fri 23rd Mar '07 11:27AM
811 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Okay then, how about this one:

WADD PUOF HSSY FGEZ HCII VRHW IPFB HF

This is a short message, making it quite tricky to get a reliable foothold from the stats, but frequency analysis shows an uneven distribution, indicating that it may be monoalphabetic, but hill-climbing attacks don't bear any fruit. Also, the index of coincidence is a bit low to be a simple mono. The frequency analysis doesn't match with English, so it's definitely not a transposition, but it may be a combination of the two.

It could be a polyalphabetic substitution, and the IoC seems to get a high result at (>0.06) for using 5 alphabets. However, the short length of the ciphertext means that if it is polyalphabetic with 5 alphabets, the length of the individual ciphers only 6 letters, making it pretty much impossible to crack.

If it's a vigenere square (or varient such as a code wheel) with a keylength of 5 (a fair assumption, but may not be), then we know that the individual ciphers will be caesar, greatly helping us as there are only 26 such ciphers. I'd need to write a tool that could go through and brute-force it, looking at the "englishness" of each decryption for each possible key of length 5 which would be 26^5 combinations, which would be about 12 million. Hopefully that would yield something.

Am I getting anywhere?

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 23rd Mar '07 11:35AM
2522 Posts
just thought i'd say that agentgonzo is clearly in the lead so far with this week's compo.

does anyone have the cryptic cojones to take him on in an almighty cypher-battle???

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Fri 23rd Mar '07 12:13PM
624 Posts
Here's my effort:

(1.e9.e9)-(37.1685)-(262.3db.2ac2)-(1.1685)-(37.2ac2)-(1685.8.8.179.1685)

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Fri 23rd Mar '07 1:30PM
624 Posts
Here's a flash animation showing how AES 128bit encryption works.

http://www.conxx.net/rijndael_anim_conxx.html

It made my head hurt - not exactly the sort of thing to watch whilst eating lunch.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 23rd Mar '07 3:49PM
2708 Posts
I would have given AgentGonzo a run for his money, but I don't have time at the moment to give it my all, hence the harder code for him to crack. However I have just given him a few hints by phone so I thought it would only be fair to give them to everyone. So:

1) The code is historical in nature.
2) Once you work out which cypher it is, it should be fairly easy to solve.
3) It's kind of like a substition and transition.

And as a couple of bonuses:

4) I believe (although I could be wrong) that the layout of the code is a clue.
5) Errr... Will have to wait for now. I need to check something at home first.

Agentgonzo
Fri 23rd Mar '07 3:53PM
811 Posts

stuff

My original assumptions were wrong on this one then. I tried brute forcing a Vigenere square cipher to no avail with keys of up to 10 letters in length. I'll have to take a look at others then. See what I can find. I assumed that the layout was not a clue as it is quite common to put the ciphertext in blocks of (in my experience) 5 characters to aid viewing and minimising mistakes. I'll see what I can dig up!

Edit: [[There are no Js in the ciphertext (but again, with a short message this is not conclusive and could be a coincidence), which could mean that it's something based on the Polybius square. A Bifid would fit in with your description, and given that they are listed in blocks of 4, I would assume that it means that the bifid has a block length of 4. Or I could be completely wrong again]]

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 23rd Mar '07 7:10PM
4678 Posts

A monoalphabetic cipher with what appears to be a random key

Well decoded, but it's not a random key!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 23rd Mar '07 7:15PM
4678 Posts

Emo Squid was bold enough to comment:
Here's a flash animation showing how AES 128bit encryption works.

http://www.conxx.net/rijndael_anim_conxx.html

It made my head hurt - not exactly the sort of thing to watch whilst eating lunch.

Wow, that's some thoroughly scrambled data!

Can anyone clarify how the 'Mix Columns' transformation works?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 23rd Mar '07 10:00PM
2708 Posts
Err... So it appears I might have made a slight mistake on this one. The code should be:

WADD PUOF HSSY FGEZ HCZN UOSP WRYW DHC

Sorry about that - it was rather late, I was very tired and it all went a little bit wrong...

Oh, and:

5) 3/3 4/7 1/6 will help as well.

Wow, that's some thoroughly scrambled data!

It's definitely interesting! I'd be interesting to see how the decryption works. Although I'm guessing it'll probably be running it through the cypher again - probably with the same key.

Can anyone clarify how the 'Mix Columns' transformation works?

As for Mix Columns, it looks like it's a simple matrix multiplication. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the inverse of the matrix is the matrix. I forget the name for them. Transpose maybe...

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 29th Mar '07 4:32PM
2522 Posts
just a reminder that the competition closes tomorrow and the winner will be announced tomorrow night.

getchore cryptic conundrums in while you still caaaaaaaan....

Agentgonzo
Fri 30th Mar '07 10:02AM
811 Posts

It's definitely interesting! I'd be interesting to see how the decryption works. Although I'm guessing it'll probably be running it through the cypher again - probably with the same key.

Most probably not. Modern ciphers aren't symmetric (ie decryption and encryption are the same - there's no need for it to be). It'll be running through the algorithm in reverse to decrypt it.

As for Mix Columns, it looks like it's a simple matrix multiplication. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the inverse of the matrix is the matrix. I forget the name for them. Transpose maybe...

No, the matrix won't be that special (I imagine). The inverse of the matrix will just be calculated by the normal means and then that used for decryption. Transpose is something different: (M^T)_(ij) = M_(ji). There are some times where M^-1 = M^T, but I can't remember what the conditions are - Det(M) = 1 is definitely one of them, but I forget the others. It's even got a name. I remember that my first year exams had a question where part of it was to use the inverse of the matrix, and noticing that it was one of these meant that you could just take the transpose rather than calculating the inverse.

Edit: It's an orthogonal matrix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_matrix
I think that the other condition is that it has orthogonal eigenvectors. I can't remember and am probably boring you

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 30th Mar '07 4:13PM
2522 Posts
well, its been a very interesting competition with some excellent examples of cryptography.

i'm proud to announce that this week's winner by quite a wide margin - due mainly to the sheer vastness of his knowledge on the subject - is AGENTGONZO!!!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 31st Mar '07 10:55AM
2708 Posts
Congratulations!

Do people want my solution, or shall I continue to taunt you all?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 31st Mar '07 1:39PM
4213 Posts
Congratulations Agent Gonzo!

Get your thinking cap on if you would like to set next weeks challenge!

Agentgonzo
Sat 31st Mar '07 2:37PM
811 Posts
Yay! Go me! I don't have the time at the moment that I had at the start of this challenge, but I'd still like to solve the ones that are out there.

'shu, I'll have a go at this in the near future, but can you tell me whether I was right in guessing that it's a bifid cipher? If not, can you tell me what it is and then I'll have a go at cracking it.

I'll post the solutions to the ciphers that I left on monday. I have to go out and get drunk right now.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy