Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
TDDO Biweekly Challenge 11! - 31 to 33
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 2 of 2 - <<First  1, 2 You cannot post to the Archive!

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Mon 2nd Apr '07 11:19AM
811 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Err... So it appears I might have made a slight mistake on this one. The code should be:

WADD PUOF HSSY FGEZ HCZN UOSP WRYW DHC

Sorry about that - it was rather late, I was very tired and it all went a little bit wrong...

Oh, and:

5) 3/3 4/7 1/6 will help as well.

"THIS IS WHAT AN ENIGMA CODE LOOKS LIKE".

If you hadn't guessed it, it's an enigma.
The rotors used are 3-4-1 and the initial positions are 3-7-1 (or d,h,b).
Strangely, the plugboard was not used, making this a particularly badly encoded message as you have to use both the rotors AND the plugboard to get a strong cipher out of it.

The rotors in the enigma machine are the Engima I and M3 Army rotors, and the reflector is the Reflector B.

Clue 5 was actually the settings of the rotor (part of the key if you will, although without the plugboard settings, this was the key).

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Mon 2nd Apr '07 11:50AM
811 Posts
Right, the codes that I posted.

[[

:
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF STEGANOGRAPHY. If you load up the gif image in notepad, you will see this at the end of the file. Whilst the use of steganography isn't a cipher, it is one of the oldest ways of keeping a message secret - by hiding it.

Ydco co m.p.nf yflcbi cbyr a ',.pyf t.fxrape yday dao x..b jrbucigp.e urp ekrpatv - "This is merely typing into a qwerty ketboard that had beeb configured for dvoark." Effectively a monoalphabetic cipher.

My blank post was another example of steganography - this time the code was hidden in an HTML comment: yuepaieupptottghevspholrtmnumohirhhearetheutsipgsnsesdeadnsseymcioolaiairoeltrtttgteapfnemnrtwnreiahhh
aosnlefeegtihlitsteeenhsuenonsaroeyntchlmnoiaslcrcscanrtgeheesugdgeareoaoncehorartesreemyyxdglsiiefsnttleat

"you can use multiple layers of encryption for example encoding a message using a columnar transposition cipher where it is only the ordering of the letters that is changed rather than the letters themselves then use steganography to hide the message" - In this case, the columnar transposition was achieved by writing out the message as normal in 10 columns (left to right, then top to bottom) then reading the letters off vertically, from top to bottom, then left to right:

y o u c a n u s e m
u l t i p l e l a y
e r s o f e n c r y
p t i o n f o r e x
a m p l e e n c o d
i n g a m e s s a g
e u s i n g a c o l
u m n a r t r a n s
p o s i t i o n c i
p h e r w h e r e i
t i s o n l y t h e
o r d e r i n g o f
t h e l e t t e r s
t h a t i s c h a n
g e d r a t h e r t
h a n t h e l e t t
e r s t h e m s e l
v e s t h e n u s e
s t e g a n o g r a
p h y t o h i d e t
h e m e s s a g e
y o u c a n u s e m
u l t i p l e l a y
e r s o f e n c r y
p t i o n f o r e x
a m p l e e n c o d
i n g a m e s s a g
e u s i n g a c o l
u m n a r t r a n s
p o s i t i o n c i
p h e r w h e r e i
t i s o n l y t h e
o r d e r i n g o f
t h e l e t t e r s
t h a t i s c h a n
g e d r a t h e r t
h a n t h e l e t t
e r s t h e m s e l
v e s t h e n u s e
s t e g a n o g r a
p h y t o h i d e t
h e m e s s a g e

]]

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Mon 2nd Apr '07 1:31PM
624 Posts
I've no idea what you would call it, but my message was encrypted using hexadecimal representations of Fibonacci numbers (ignoring the 1st '1' of the sequence). 26 Fib numbers for the 26 letters of the alphabet.
A tad contrived, which possibly explains why no-one attempted to solve it!

EDIT: I have to say, AG, i'm very impressed with your knowledge of this most esoteric of subjects!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 2 of 2 - <<First  1, 2 You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy