By bye hackers
Buffy Series 8: Coming soon in comic format! - 1 to 27
Return To General Merriment

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 24th Mar '07 6:14PM
4678 Posts
I know there's a fair few Buffy fans around here so I thought I'd share:

Yes, it's a comic - but hey, It's by Joss and it's actual Buffyverse canon.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 (Season 8)
Street Date: March 7, from Dark Horse Comics
Writer: Joss Whedon
Art: Georges Jeanty and Andy Owens (Cover Art: Jo Chen)
Colors: Dave Stewart
Review by Troy Brownfield

Some disclaimer-type language: Yes, Buffy fan. Rather than setting me up to give this an automatic “A”, that fact actually makes me enter with some degree of temerity. Consider: if you have something that you really enjoyed, any extension, derivation, adaptation or deviation from same is going to be met with at least some form of heightened expectation. In this case, Buffy as a TV series had an appropriate ending in terms of timing, story, and scale. To revisit it and extend it (in continuity, no less), even with creator Joss Whedon at the helm, you’re going to have do something that a) reads well, b) looks great, and c) does things in a new way for it to even remotely work.

That said: welcome to A, B, and C. To say that Whedon and company knock it out of the park is a disservice to baseball metaphors. The narration on the first page clicks right into that classic Buffy dialogue rhythm, while the second page allows Jeanty and Owens to draw a sign that might as well say “Our stamp, here.” Not only is this a good read, it’s a fun read, and the import of that in the overall Buffy context can not be understated.

Pull back a second to place an appropriate time frame. You must remember that as this is a functional Buffy “Season 8”, the events and actions occur at a timeline that is roughly parallel to the events of brother-series Angel’s Season 5. That point is driven home with a righteously terrific punchline on page 4 that adds some brilliant depth to one of that Angel season’s funniest episodes.

However, just because there are long-time fan moments, don’t believe that it’s not accessible. Whedon plays the narration and development in such a way that you could come in blind and pick things up. Granted, you probably should be somewhat of a fan, and I recommend checking on the show if you’ve never done so. Still, first timers will find plenty to like. Such as:

The art of Jeanty and Owens. They do a great job with likenesses, but more importantly, they convey the motion and body language of the characters well. With roughly 145 hours of television out there chronicling their adventures, you know that it would be a massive disconnect if the renderings weren’t good. In fact, they’re spot on. Honestly, I always thought that Buffy herself was a hard character to get right in the comic form, but the team here manages to get it. Similar kudos should be extended for their work on Xander and Dawn (whose appearance herein fuels a funny subplot).

As to Whedon’s work . . . well, this is his baby, isn’t it? Fans have missed these characters, and you can tell from the script that Whedon has too. The sisterly interplay between Buffy and Dawn is solid, underscoring Dawn’s propensity for getting in trouble (“It must be Tuesday,” you can almost hear Buffy say) and the fractious relationship that they’ve always had. One brief conversation with Buffy and Xander reminds us that he’s always been smarter and more insightful than anyone else ever noticed. Whedon also takes the opportunity to show us that yes, the outside world did realize what happened to Sunnydale. And that last page? Extremely smart choice.

Frankly, I thought this was just great. It’s a treat for fans and it’s a strong comic besides. I’m now also doubly curious about a few things; based on conversations from Angel episodes, we know that the characters were, for a time, on different continents. One wonders if we’ll see Willow and Kennedy in South America, or if this was more disinformation directed by Wolfram & Hart by a, in retrospect, very clever Andrew. Granted, we’re reviewing this about a month before the release, so if you have any curiosity at all, get it on your pull list. The faithful will feel rewarded, and some new converts might be found. And really, we’re just getting started. Welcome back, Scoobies.

<- and I don't say that lightly.

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 25th Mar '07 2:30PM
2522 Posts
bring on the pencil-lined buffyverse!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 27th Mar '07 6:09AM
4597 Posts
Ooh I'm not often a comic book subscriber but that sounds magnificent

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Mar '07 8:10AM
2708 Posts
I've got to admit, I'm slightly torn on this. On the one hand Buffy rules! And a whole new series would be awesome. On the other hand Buffy itself was a fully contained story with a complete (and complicated) arc that I personally feel needs no further continuation. That in fact might ruin it all.

I'd be interested in further series set in the same world, and maybe even a continuation of some of the characters, but I'm unsure I want to pick up Buffy again for the sake of picking up Buffy again - if that at all makes sense that is...

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Tue 27th Mar '07 8:23AM
624 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
I've got to admit, I'm slightly torn on this. On the one hand Buffy rules! And a whole new series would be awesome. On the other hand Buffy itself was a fully contained story with a complete (and complicated) arc that I personally feel needs no further continuation. That in fact might ruin it all.

I'd be interested in further series set in the same world, and maybe even a continuation of some of the characters, but I'm unsure I want to pick up Buffy again for the sake of picking up Buffy again - if that at all makes sense that is...

I hears ya, shu! I'm not even a fan of Buffy, but i know exactly what you mean. It happens with films all the time, ie Star Wars. Although, there was always scope for prequals with SW because the original trilogy started at 4, but that doesn't mean Mr Lucas had create Jar Jar Binks.
I think die hard fans are always going to be a bit skeptical and/or overly judgmental of anything involving their hero(s) - especially in a (thought to be) concluded story.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 27th Mar '07 10:04AM
2522 Posts
buffy wasn't concluded. a lot of the characters turned up in angel after the last series of buffy. the last series was left so open ended that it was inevitable they would carry on in some form or another. a comic is a natural progression because buffy existed in comic form almost from the start of the tv show. in fact, there has probably been more comic output than tv output. it makes sense to carry on the series in this format.

that said, i can see why people would be a little dubious. however, i had a look at the new comic last night and i can confirm it looks absolutely bloody amazing!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Mar '07 11:55AM
2708 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
buffy wasn't concluded. a lot of the characters turned up in angel after the last series of buffy.

Really? Sure Spike became a main character, and Andrew popped up once or twice, but I can't really think of anyone else who jumped across for the final series. Mainly they were just mentioned in passing - mainly by Andrew.

the last series was left so open ended that it was inevitable they would carry on in some form or another.

That depends upon how you look at it. After all they destroyed the Hellmouth, stopped the first and ended the whole idea of Buffy being the one and having the weight of the world on her shoulders. Basically they ended all of the major story lines that they started back in Series 1 (and in episode 1 of Series 1) and had developed across later series.

Yes, the final words were all about possibilities for the future, but that's a standard storytelling trick - they leave the characters at a place where they could do anything and leave it up to the individual audience members to decide what it is exactly that they do.

They did the same with Angel - they destroyed Wolfram and Hart (or at least the LA branch), ended the prophecy (maybe) and averted the apocalypse (temporarily at least). They basically wrapped up all of the major story arcs. Then they left the characters in a place where anything could happen. They could have all died, they could have won the fight, they could have been saved. (Although I'll be the first to admit that this wasn't as well done as Buffy - probably because they were rushed )

All of that being said, I do feel the allure of returning to that world and seeing what happened to them all next. It's just at the same time I like where and how it ended and I almost prefer leaving it there. I was vaguely annoyed by the hints and clues Angel gave about what happened to the Scoobys since it ruined my own ideas of where they would have ended up...

Like I said, I'd be interested in another series set in that world, if only because it's an interesting world with many possibilities to it. I'd also have no problem with some of the old characters appearing in it if it helped develop the story. I'd just want the characters to be in it for the sake of the story (their or someone else's) rather than a story made up around characters to keep the fans happy.

(I'd also like to see more Firefly stories because I don't think those characters and that story had time to reach a proper ending).

a comic is a natural progression because buffy existed in comic form almost from the start of the tv show. in fact, there has probably been more comic output than tv output. it makes sense to carry on the series in this format.

Just so we're clear, I have absolutely no problem with it continuing in the comic format. Well, apart from the fact that I really don't want to get back into comics again. I'd only end up restarting all of my comics and buying the back issues that I missed and I really don't have the money for all of that (at my height I was easily spending £50 a week on comics. It was not good).

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 27th Mar '07 12:26PM
2522 Posts
ahh, i've not actually seen the last series of angel - i just heard quite a few buffy characters turned up in it. i'm sure willow was supposed to be in it...

i still think buffy was left very open ended. like you say, it depends on how you look at it.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Mar '07 1:55PM
2708 Posts
No, Willow pops up at the end of one of the earlier series (2 I think) and then returns for an episode in Series 4 (actually maybe two episodes. I forget). But not at all in Series 5...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 27th Mar '07 3:37PM
4678 Posts
I think it's mentioned in Angel series 5 that Willow is in Europe again with Giles.

I actually much preferred the ending of Angel to the ending of Buffy, if only because it seemed so much more final. Although to be fair, I hadn't interpreted it as having any possibility of any survivors... tragic but very moving.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Mar '07 4:34PM
2708 Posts
I think it had her down as in South America with... Kendal? The potential slayer from series 7... I get confused to be honest - it might be Xander in South America.

I always had the vague hope that Angel and the gang would be saved by an army of slayers. After all there are thousands of them just sitting around out there with nothing to really do. You would have thought they might have noticed something was going on. If Wesley hadn't already called them (hence the surprise to everyone else there).

Okay, maybe it's pushing it a bit, but I like the idea Oh, and of course signing the prophesy did break it, so Spike becomes human again. Eventually. I think I prefer the idea to him as a human rather than Angel becoming non-angsty. Spike would be funnier!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 28th Mar '07 10:01AM
1673 Posts
Oh, Amanshu, you cantankerous old cynic. It's Buffy series 8! Therefore, celebrate! That's all you need to know.

p.s. Harmony also came over into the final Angel series.

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Wed 28th Mar '07 12:47PM
505 Posts
Man, I really need to rewatch some Buffy/Angel. Certainly before I even contemplate reading series 8 or it will just confuse me. I can imagine how it could work really well as a comic though.

I used to be a pretty avid Buffy fanatic (perhaps because I really fancied Willow for a while, her varying sexual preference notwithstanding - she was particularly great when she was immensely powerful and just a bit evil, oh be still my trembling heart .) Now I struggle just to remember the names of key characters. Very sad. The impressive depth of knowledge displayed in this thread is therefore an inspiration and I want to walk out of the office right now and watch some. So good work!

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Wed 28th Mar '07 1:30PM
271 Posts

(I'd also like to see more Firefly stories because I don't think those characters and that story had time to reach a proper ending).

Ditto, but as long as they ditch the whole story that happened in Serenity - if you haven't seen Serenity i shan't spoil it, but i wouldn't want that particular storyline to still be the case....

Althought it would probably have to be, unless they scrapped it and started over. Bad Peoples cancelling Firefly... *sigh*

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 29th Mar '07 11:49AM
2522 Posts
i've just read an article that claims The Body is the biggest tear-jerker in sci-fi history.

after reading the run down of the most emotional scenes (dawn collapsing when she hears that joyce is dead, xander punching the wall, anya's speech about grief, willow looking for her blue sweater, buffy's reaction when she finds joyce) i'm welling up! must watch that again soon.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 30th Mar '07 3:41PM
4678 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
i've just read an article that claims The Body is the biggest tear-jerker in sci-fi history.

after reading the run down of the most emotional scenes (dawn collapsing when she hears that joyce is dead, xander punching the wall, anya's speech about grief, willow looking for her blue sweater, buffy's reaction when she finds joyce) i'm welling up! must watch that again soon.

I remember after I first saw that episode I thought I'd never want to see it again, it was so harrowing. But it's much easier the second time around... still one of the saddest episodes of anything I've ever seen though.

Ubergeek Trivia Plus: It's also the only episode with no incidental music.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 30th Mar '07 3:46PM
1558 Posts

After all they destroyed the Hellmouth...

There's another one in Cleveland

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 30th Mar '07 3:59PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Ubergeek Trivia Plus: It's also the only episode with no incidental music.

i knew that!

i'm going to reward myself with a strong drink!

Buffy fan!!!!!
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Sun 11th Nov '07 3:16PM
where do i get this amazin comic book?? i am a huge fan of buffy and i had no idea tht they had brought out a comic book season eight!!!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 11th Nov '07 3:29PM
2522 Posts

buffy fan!!!!! was bold enough to comment:
where do i get this amazin comic book?? i am a huge fan of buffy and i had no idea tht they had brought out a comic book season eight!!!

try Forbidden Planet or amazon

also, if you're an Angel fan you might want to know about this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel:_After_the_Fall

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Sun 11th Nov '07 9:46PM
505 Posts
No-one's mentioned it yet here, so thought I'd say there's a new non-Buffy non-Firefly Joss Whedon series on the horizon:

http://tinyurl.com/26m97r

Not for some time in the UK though probably

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 22nd Dec '07 1:50PM
2522 Posts
i'm currently watching series two again. bloody hell, this is amazing telly.

any other Buffy fans think that the Inca mummy girl was a slayer who had her life cut short?

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Fri 28th Nov '08 6:01PM
169 Posts
Buffy film to be made!!!

Just found this rumour on Didgital Spy.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a136947/buffy-heading-for-the-big-screen.htm

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 30th Nov '08 9:16AM
4678 Posts
I hope it's true, but there have been so many rumours about Buffy films and spinoffs that never turn out to be true that I'm not getting my hopes up. I remember series rumoured for ages based on both Faith and Ripper.

In other vampire news, has anyone seen True Blood? It's fantastic!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 24th Dec '08 9:56AM
4678 Posts

(But don't get too excited, it's a pilot and the rest was never made )

Xander
Wed 12th Aug '09 5:14PM
169 Posts
Emma Caulfied aka Anya has written a new comic about cats its called Contropussy.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/a170870/emma-caulfield-launches-web-comic.html

Xander
Fri 20th Nov '09 6:23PM
169 Posts
Buffy Series 8 is to made into a motion comic.

In sad news land Dollhouse has been canceled which sucks.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To General Merriment

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedGeneral is The Daddy