Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The TDDO Four Year Aniversary Super Challenge WE HAVE OUR WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!! - 1 to 30
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 16th Apr '07 6:31PM
4213 Posts
Welcome One And All To The TDDO Four Year Aniversary Super Challenge!

A slight break from the norm this week with a special TDDO challenge to celebrate the fact that our beloved home on the Internet is four years young.

Also as this is an anniversary challenge there will be an actual take it home and keep it prize!

The rules of this weeks challenge are very simple.
Post something to this thread that you have created to honor the forums fourth birthday.
It can be anything you like as long as it has been created for this challenge.
here are some suggestions of things you might try, but don't limit yourself to just these:
1. A Poem
2. A Story
3. A Photograph
4. A Drawing
5. An Animation
6. A Song
7 A Video

Or just about anything at all really.

You can enter as many times as you want and the winner will be the forumer who makes the best entry or collection of entries.

The challenge will run for two weeks until midnight on Friday 27th of April
In a change to the normal Judging procedure the winner will be determined by a vote.
once the challenge has closed I will invite members to PM me with the name of the forumer who you think deserves to win and the winner will be announced on the 4th of May.

I know some of our members are more tech literate than others, but I don't want that to be a barrier to entry so if you want to do something, but you aren't sure how to post it then just send me a message and i will give you a hand.

Here is how to put up a picture you have taken with amendments to reflect that fact that I sent a couple of members up the garden path last week with a mistake in the instructions!

How To Put Your Photos On The Forum For The Compo
1 Take a photo and put it on your computer
2 Go to http://www.photobucket.com
3 log in with the special account I have made User: thedaddycompo PW: thedaddy
4 Once you are logged in click browse and choose the file on your computer
5 press upload and the photo should appear with the pictures at the bottom of the screen
6 under your picture there should be 3 lines of text. Find the one marked HTML and copy the text written there into a post on the forum. (It will begin "

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 20th Apr '07 4:48PM
4597 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
Also as this is an anniversary challenge there will be an actual take it home and keep it prize!

No, really. Us admins are having a whip-round and everything!

Hows about I get you started

TheDaddy.org
Created us a Forum
With code, and some cheese

For conversation
Deep, meaningful and clever
or reviewing cheese

Sit at my PC
Talk to my cyber homies
Real ones ran away

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 22nd Apr '07 11:17PM
2522 Posts
my entry is an attempt at a theme tune for thedaddy.org.

this is a re-working of the original grange hill theme tune with me playing guitar and using a box of salt for percussion...

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=S5JXQuuRUEW

i've never tried to mix myself playing seperate musical parts before so the production is very sloppy.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 22nd Apr '07 11:38PM
4213 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

A work of majesty!

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Mon 23rd Apr '07 12:17AM
278 Posts
impresive my friend

you can really hear you giving it the salt

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Mon 23rd Apr '07 9:38AM
624 Posts

You complete bloomin' genius! That's ace.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 23rd Apr '07 5:06PM
4678 Posts
That is beautiful! Well played Diz!

Now all we need to do is add some TDDO-related vocals

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 25th Apr '07 12:09AM
4213 Posts
I'm going to propose that we extend the compo closing date to 4th May if not for any other reason because I've got a chocka week and I want to enter!!!

I can also sensationally reveal that the winner of the super challenge will receive:

An Eggling!

http://www.eggling.com/

Be aware that we are gonna want photo updates from the winner people!

Emo Squid
Wed 25th Apr '07 9:38AM
624 Posts

I can also sensationally reveal that the winner of the super challenge will receive:

An Eggling!

Zoiks! I second the motion to extend the deadline - I want to enter, but i'm having to work on my entry at work cos i ain't got one of these new-fangled computator contraptions at home!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 4th May '07 10:44AM
4213 Posts
I'd be interested to know if people have any entries on the boil that they are keen to get in or should I close the super challenge today?

Emo Squid
Fri 4th May '07 11:17AM
624 Posts

I'd be interested to know if people have any entries on the boil that they are keen to get in or should I close the super challenge today?

I must apologise. I had been working on a (very) short film about TDDO, but it's not likely to get finished. Bloody work, how dare they keep me busy with actual work!

Spanners*
Fri 4th May '07 12:12PM
4597 Posts
Yeah let's get some more entrants! This should be the competition of the year, the one that surpasses all others - it's the frikkin birthday one with a real live* prize!
I know everyone's a little preoccupied with the amount of vampires running round the forum at the moment but this is a chance to shine

*Prize may in fact be inanimate

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 4th May '07 1:05PM
2522 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Yeah let's get some more entrants!src="smiley/smiley1.gif" />

i can't help noticing that its a little quiet on the forum at the minute. where the flip is everyone?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 4th May '07 1:27PM
2708 Posts
Well I can't speak for everyone else, but personally I've been horribly busy at work recently which is the main place I check from. So I've been checking less and less likely to post if I am here.

Speaking of which...

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Fri 4th May '07 1:53PM
510 Posts

I've just been playing with an idea for something I might be able to make over the weekend, but then I'm not sure how I'd get a pic of it posted. I could probably wangle something with the creaking technology at my disposal, but it may of course all go horribly wrong, and I'd hate to hold up the competition and deny a worthy winner of their Eggling.

So anyway, I'll leave it in the hands of the Gamesmaster to decide. In fact, I'll probably make this thing anyway, it could easily be diverted to future TDDO events if you want to close the comp today.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 4th May '07 2:08PM
4213 Posts
I really want to do a good entry, but I've been working in Glasgow which isn't codusive to having any free time!

Spanners*
Fri 4th May '07 2:17PM
4597 Posts

i can't help noticing that its a little quiet on the forum at the minute. where the flip is everyone?

Us admins have been discussing this, we think there's a problem with the First Look page in that people reply to threads that appear on there and forget about the rest of the excellent threads on here. Stuff becomes forgotten far too rapidly and people post much less.
I'm working on some changes to the First Look page to go some way towards fixing this.

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 4th May '07 2:19PM
2522 Posts

I really want to do a good entry, but I've been working in Glasgow which isn't codusive to having any free time!

it seems like a good idea to maybe extend the competition time for a week or so.

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Fri 4th May '07 3:15PM
505 Posts
If the deadline is extended I shall try to come up with something wondrous over the weekend, but I can't promise it will come even close to Diziet's entry!

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 4th May '07 3:19PM
2522 Posts

Mrsham was bold enough to comment:

but I can't promise it will come even close to Diziet's entry!

aahh, don't be such a defeatist. come on and kick my hairy ass!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 4th May '07 3:20PM
4213 Posts
Ok it sounds like we should streach this for annother week, but I think that will have to be the limit!!

Remember if anyone has a problem getting stuff onto the forum, photos etc just message me and I will do it for you (I can even make it look like you posted it!)

Spanners*
Fri 4th May '07 5:01PM
4597 Posts
I made a very silly banner. It says Thedaddy.org Forum if you look hard enough

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sat 5th May '07 10:31AM
1673 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I made a very silly banner. It says Thedaddy.org Forum if you look hard enough

Good grief, yes, that's very silly indeed! One of the oddest things I've seen for a while. (and oddballs, please note, that wasn't a challenge to put some even odder things here in an attempt to disturb me...)

Thank you O General for extending the deadline a bit. I've also been disappointingly absent due to being locked in various rooms helping to administer an election. But fortunately that's over now, and I'm planning me a nice jaunt into the city centre looking for inspiration for this very competition! Here's hoping...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 7th May '07 3:18AM
4213 Posts
Here is my entry

I've been wanting to do a Scum/Speak and Spell mash up for a while, but it has taken me till now to get on and do it.
I know I've spelt forum wrong in the song, but I ran out of sampler memory!

BEWARE PEOPLE AT WORK IT HAS LOTS OF AUDIBLE SWEARING IN IT!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 7th May '07 10:24AM
4678 Posts

Here is my entry

That is awesome

Did you do the music as well?

I've been waiting for inspiration to strike but I've got no hope of reaching the level of brilliance displayed so far...

Spanners*
Mon 7th May '07 11:31AM
4597 Posts
Wow, Diz and General's musical offerings are awesome!
Diz - beautiful tune, nice bluegrass sorta feel to it and very well played
General - Mr DJ meister!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 7th May '07 12:29PM
4213 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Did you do the music as well?

Yeah it's an old Riff of mine that I've had knocking about for a while.

For geeky people who might be interested: I sequenced the track on Cakewalk Sonar.
The drums are programmed using EZ Drummer. I ripped the Scum samples off Youtube with Audacity and found the Speak and Spell samples on a Circuit Bending website. I had to use Cyclone as the sampler (which is rubbish and can only hold 16 samples at a time!) as my copy of Kontakt is corrupted. The synth is the Roland Groove Synth which comes free with Sonar as you can tell by the slightly dodgy sound!
The guitars and bass are all played direct into my PC through a Line6 POD and it marks the first bit of recording I've done with my lovely new Yamaha SG!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 7th May '07 1:18PM
2522 Posts

General was one solid metal mother when he commented:
Here is my entry

mate, that is an outstanding piece of music!

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Mon 7th May '07 1:21PM
505 Posts
If you can't beat 'em, do something completely different. Here's a TDDO beer mat / coaster to cut out, stick to card and cover in sticky back plastic in Blue Peter fashion:

Big hi-res version can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/yr9j8s

A bit shoddy, but I had fun browsing back through ancient forum threads to mine the avatars!

Also, not as much work as it looks due to Picasa's nice "create collage" function! I've tried to include all the avatars I could find but no doubt I've missed some ... if I've missed you off I apologise profusely; and it's easy enough to recreate the collage bit so I can add you in. I think I deserve extra marks for including Greg Dyke and Clara's Mum though

Oh, and Kelly has been preserved for posterity as a vampire, heh!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 7th May '07 1:24PM
2522 Posts

Mrsham was bold enough to supply us with beer mats:

loving that. totally original, fun and yet also practical.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Best of TheDaddy.org 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>> You cannot post to the Archive!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy