By bye hackers
Why I won't be switching to crippled Vista anytime soon - 1 to 5
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 23rd Apr '07 12:03AM
4213 Posts
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/04/22/vista_suicide_note_p.html

I really recommend anyone looking to get Vista to read or listen to this to discover quite how broken Vista makes Music and Video on your PC.

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Mon 23rd Apr '07 9:31AM
624 Posts
Always a very bad idea to switch to a major OS 'upgrade' at the first oppertunity. Developers seem to require at least 6 - 12 months to catch up - that's not set in stone, just personal experience!
When Mac OS X was launched, I jumped on it and caused myself (and my production partner) so much trouble. It was 18 months before I went back to OS X. It all works fine now (or at least it did until I got rid of my computer - MacPro on the horizon!) and I've never looked back, but I did learn a very valuble lesson.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 23rd Apr '07 2:12PM
4213 Posts
Unfortunately this is not just teething problems based on a dodgy first release.

This is how Microsoft want this to work!

Highlights of the document include:

Vista encrypts and dencypts everything it calls premium content (Bluray & HDDVD discs, online store bought music, SACDs, etc) The result of this is that a 3Ghz pc was stuttering while trying to play a move because of the overhead and playing an Mp3 invokes a process that takes up 20% of your processor and doesn't do anything usefull.

Whenever you play anything Vista deams "Premium" it will disable any outputs that it deams insecure that includes: (SPDIF, DVI, Component video , HDMI without content protection) Meaning if you have bought a nice TV or HiFi with a digital connection to use with your PC as a media center it won't work.
In fact there are currently no computer monitors that you can play HD movies on with Vista and only the newest HD TVs will work.

To cap that off there are currently no graphics cards that implement the content protection to a high enough standard to work with Vista (even the ones that claim they do apparently!) so you will definately have to buy a new top of the range (300 ish) graphics card when you upgrade if you want to watch HD video.

If it is decided that your brand of graphics/soundcard/motherboard has been comromised by hackers Vista will disable it until new drivers have been written. If this isn't a newish piece of hardware (1 year +) manufacturers probably won't write new drivers and you have to replace your card. So you can buy a piece of hardware and 6 months later it will suddenly stop working.

Vista won't let you bypass it's sound system. Unfortunately Windows direct sound is rubbish so audio professionals (like me) and people to make music on their home PCs (again like me) use things called ASIO drivers which reduce latency and mean you can record without fear of glitches and dropouts. With Vista this is banned because windows can't spy on what you are doing and stop you copying music so no more decent home recording with Vista.

It's also worth noting that all this restrictive crap was cracked in a week so hackers won't have any of these problems, but it will be a sequence of problems and pain for normal users. As for technology professionals such as myself it will be somthing I'm sure I will be able to bypass with a few trips to crack sites etc, but as someone who doesn't do illegal content I'm basicly having make myself a criminal just to get my PC working as you would expect.

What saddens me is that as it says in the article if this cryptographic effort had been put into encrypting bank details rather than locking users out of their own PCs etc it could have halved online fraud at a stroke.

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Mon 23rd Apr '07 3:37PM
624 Posts

General was kind enough to summerise a very long article that i couldn't be bothered reading!

That sucks! Yet another excuse for creative professionals (like me) to use Macs. I try not to buy into this whole Mac vs PC hoo-ha. I've used both systems and with equally good results but when I read things like this.....

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 23rd Apr '07 5:01PM
4678 Posts
That's ridiculous. At least it sounds like it's easy to bypass the nonsense given a few pieces of slightly less-than-legit software, which I imagine pretty much everyone will be using.

And Microsoft wonder why people hate them so much. Ah well, at least I'll feel less guilty about using a pirated version if I ever decide to upgrade

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy