Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
A new TDDO game - Vampire Slayer! - 1 to 30
Return To Games

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 24th Apr '07 6:45PM
4678 Posts
Who wants to play another forum-based game? 'I do!' I hear you all cry. Well, you've come to the right thread!

I've given this a Buffy theme as I know many of you are fans, but don't worry if you've not seen it, as the programme is entirely irrelevant to the gameplay.

Oh, and before we start, I'd like to admit up front that I ripped this idea off from Mafia.

Anyway, the game begins at night in Sunnydale. All the scoobies (that's you lot), including the randomly selected Slayer, are sleeping soundly. I'll announce to everyone who the Slayer is when the game starts.

Suddenly, tragedy strikes! A foul half-breed demon of the night (henceforth referred to as 'Vampire') will pop one pair of clogs. I will Private Message (PM) one player to let them know they are now a vampire whose mission is to recruit other vampires by snacking on scoobies in the middle of the night, whilst masquerading as a concerned scooby by day. The scoobies' mission is to wipe out every vampire in town.

The game then proceeds in turns:

DAY - the scoobies discuss who the Slayer should kill that night. All the vampires are also taking part in the discussion, trying to draw attention away from themselves or maybe even accusing a fellow vampire to better confuse the issue! Once the Slayer posts his/her final decision as to who meets the sharp end of Mr. Pointy, the day ends and that person is dead. If this was the last vampire, I (Giles ) will announce victory for the scoobies, otherwise I will announce that night time has started, and all the players go to sleep.

NIGHT - The vampire/vampires consult between themselves (using PMs, obviously, so nobody knows who they are) and pick a victim. The vampire spokesperson sends me a PM to inform me who's to be targeted to join the ranks of the undead, then I will flip a coin - on a Heads the person becomes a vampire, on a tails they remain unaware of the attempt to turn them. If they have become vampirised, I will tell them (and the other vampires) in a PM, then I will announce the start of a new day. If there are now more vampires than scoobies left, the vampire team wins!

(note: the length of the day/night cycle has no relation to real time - the game progresses at it's own speed).

WE NEED AS MANY PEOPLE TO PLAY AS POSSIBLE! SO SIGN UP NOW!

I think we should have at least 10 players to make this work, but the more the merrier, so I'll be accepting entrants until the weekend, and the game will start on Sunday.

So use this thread to:

- ask questions about gameplay
- decide whether the Slayer is allowed to be male
(the Slayer is basically just the scoobies' spokesperson so it doesn't really matter)

I'd imagine the whole game will probably take a week or two to play out, so probably best not to sign up if you're going on holiday anytime soon.

EDIT: 50% chance of failure added in to make things more even, thanks to Mrsham for spotting the problem!

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Tue 24th Apr '07 6:51PM
505 Posts
Brilliant idea. I'm in. Now I'll go and read your post Demian and see what I've just agreed to do! I'm sure it's going to be bloody marvellous anyway.

edit: ooohh, it's going to be good ...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 24th Apr '07 7:30PM
2708 Posts
Sounds like a laugh to me! One question though, is it at all possible for the Vampires to defend themselves from the Slayer or for a victim to defend themselves from the Vampires?

I assume also that the slayer can't be got?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 24th Apr '07 7:38PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
Sounds like a laugh to me! One question though, is it at all possible for the Vampires to defend themselves from the Slayer or for a victim to defend themselves from the Vampires?

I assume also that the slayer can't be got?

Not in this basic version of the game - there are more advanced versions which we can try if this goes well. The nominated slayee dies at the end of each day at the hands of the Slayer, and the nominated new recruit to the vampire cause becomes a vampire at the end of each night.

The Slayer is, indeed, immune to vampiric attack. Vamps know better than to take on the Slayer!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 25th Apr '07 9:15AM
2708 Posts
Errr... Mrsham pointed out an interesting thing in the chatroom last night, since a Vampire is created every night and either a Scooby or a Vampire dies every day it's impossible for the Scoobies to win unless they hit the Vampire on the first go... May I suggest skipping away from the Buffy mythology slightly to instead include a head Vampire that they have to slay? If they get the head Vampire all the Vampires die and the Scooby's win?

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 25th Apr '07 9:42AM
838 Posts
Would I be disqualified on the grounds that, according to many people, I live and share my life with the 'proper' Giles? (See photos from last forum meet if you are a bit bemused by this assertion!)

Mrsham
Wed 25th Apr '07 9:57AM
505 Posts

Errr... Mrsham pointed out an interesting thing in the chatroom last night etc.

Pseudo-Giles (aka Demian ... as opposed to the true Giles who Clara has mentioned) has been alerted and is coming up with a cunning plan to restore order to proceedings I like the idea of a head vamp though.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Wed 25th Apr '07 11:04AM
811 Posts
This sounds like a laugh. Count me in.

On a note of technical wizardry, would it be possible to set up a private thread that the vamps can use to plot and scheme? It would (obviously) only be accessible to vamps (access controlled by Giles) and would be a lot easier than a load of PMs flying around the place.

If it's not possible to set up a restricted access thread, then would it be possible to set one up that's hidden (so that only the vamps know where it is)? Not as secure, but would suffice for us.

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Wed 25th Apr '07 11:26AM
624 Posts
OK. Put my name down, although i'm not 100% about how this works. It's the same with any game - i can have the rules explained to me 1000 times and i will not understand it until i actually play it!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 25th Apr '07 1:25PM
4597 Posts
Fantastic idea! Count me in!
And by the looks of who has signed up so far we may be forced into having a male slayer, a 'mayer' if you will. Unless Jog, Kelly or GJ were to swoop in and claim the stake wielding role.

As for the private thread idea... I'm not saying a definite no but it'll take some thought about how to do it without an epic amount of work.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 25th Apr '07 5:35PM
4678 Posts

Mrsham was bold enough to comment:

Errr... Mrsham pointed out an interesting thing in the chatroom last night etc.

Pseudo-Giles (aka Demian ... as opposed to the true Giles who Clara has mentioned) has been alerted and is coming up with a cunning plan to restore order to proceedings I like the idea of a head vamp though.

Don't worry, if you re-examine the first thread you'll find I've already changed the rules to cope with the problem discovered by Mrsham

As to the private thread - I don't think there'll actually need to be that much debate between the vamps. You could even decide between yourselves simply to take turns choosing the next victim, or nominate one spokesvamp who makes the decision based on ideas the other vamps have sent him. I think PMs should be fine for this unless you're getting into serious debates about who to vampify!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Wed 25th Apr '07 5:49PM
1558 Posts
I'll sign up for that!
I'm a bit confused on the game mechanics though, are the choices of vamps and slayers dependant on just whim and fancy? I know there will be discussion in the thread, but does any of that mean anything, or is it just a chance to be silly? (Which, by the way, I'm all for)

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 25th Apr '07 6:52PM
4678 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
I'll sign up for that!
I'm a bit confused on the game mechanics though, are the choices of vamps and slayers dependant on just whim and fancy? I know there will be discussion in the thread, but does any of that mean anything, or is it just a chance to be silly? (Which, by the way, I'm all for)

They're subject to whatever machinations the players make of them With a sprinkling of role-play it's all about the deviousness of the vampires drawing suspicion away from themselves and generally spreading misinformation, and the scoobies trying to analyse each other's postings to work out who's deceiving them, and how

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 27th Apr '07 4:31PM
4678 Posts
Come on folks, we've got 7 so far, we need at least 3 more! I know Malcolm and Kelly are away but they should be back in the next day or two. Diziet - you not up for it?

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 27th Apr '07 5:28PM
2522 Posts
'count' me in.

see what i did there? its a reference to count dracula....mwa-ha-ha!

Mrsham
Mon 30th Apr '07 5:15PM
505 Posts
Can I suggest a little idea to hopefully add to the fun and frolics... take it or leave it:

How about the vamps choose a designated biter each night, who gets to write a little description in the PM sent by Giles to the victim (assuming they're successfully turned) describing exactly the manner in which they caught and bit their victim? There seem to be some pretty good personal vendettas arising already, so this could provide suitable vamp-like malice. The PMs could all be revealed in a copy and paste storyline at the end of the game.

Also, when the Slayer's victim is killed, if it's not an end of game situation, do we get to know whether they were dusted (vamp) or spurted blood everywhere (Scooby)? Or is that kept secret?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 30th Apr '07 5:22PM
4678 Posts

Can I suggest a little idea to hopefully add to the fun and frolics... take it or leave it:

How about the vamps choose a designated biter each night, who gets to write a little description in the PM sent by Giles to the victim (assuming they're successfully turned) describing exactly the manner in which they caught and bit their victim? There seem to be some pretty good personal vendettas arising already, so this could provide suitable vamp-like malice. The PMs could all be revealed in a copy and paste storyline at the end of the game.

If the vamp/vamps want to do this, I'll make sure to keep all the PMs till the end of the game. It's up to the first vampire really, as he or she is the spokesperson for the vamps each night thereafter.

Also, when the Slayer's victim is killed, if it's not an end of game situation, do we get to know whether they were dusted (vamp) or spurted blood everywhere (Scooby)? Or is that kept secret?

I'll let you know the results of the staking each time

Agentgonzo
Tue 22nd Jul '08 4:06PM
811 Posts
Should we have another game of this now that we have a scooby in the gang?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 23rd Jul '08 9:43AM
2708 Posts
I'm up for that - provided I get to be the vampire this time.

Actually, scratch that, I'd just get staked immediately which would make a boring game. Provided I get to not be the vampire this time. Again.

Hmmm... I think I'm going to just be staked immediately...

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Wed 23rd Jul '08 12:55PM
288 Posts
please yes please....

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 24th Jul '08 8:52AM
4597 Posts
Yeah cool I'm in

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Thu 24th Jul '08 11:48AM
758 Posts
Yes! I want to play!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 25th Jul '08 12:14AM
1558 Posts
Yay! I want to be the tailor! No, the Home Secretary! No, can I be the footprint?

No wait, I want to be the fork lift truck driver! Or the giraffe!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 25th Jul '08 8:29AM
1673 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, yes indeed! I want in! Want, take, have.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 25th Jul '08 6:22PM
4678 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

Want, take, have.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

OK then. So anyone else want to be Giles this time or shall I get my glasses case out? And any new rules anyone particularly wants to try out this time round?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 26th Jul '08 12:17AM
2708 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
any new rules anyone particularly wants to try out this time round?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently we have a slayer, who can... well... slay, a watcher who protects people and a head vampire who bites people. Another evil person might be kind of fun to balance it out a little.

I'm blanking on ideas though. It's late...

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sun 27th Jul '08 10:40AM
1673 Posts
Actually, since there don't seem to be as many people involved this time, it might be an idea to limit the number with special characteristics. After all, the main point is to encourage paranoia and suspicion amongst the masses - it's a game of pitchfork mentality, first and foremost.

Agentgonzo
Fri 17th Apr '09 1:40PM
811 Posts
Did another round ever come of this?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 18th Apr '09 6:06PM
4678 Posts
We had 2 games in total, I think this is the thread from the first time around.

I'd be willing to run another but somehow I doubt we'd get 10 players willing to contribute every day at the moment Feel free to post here and prove me wrong though!

HuMpO
Daddy Mack
Wed 29th Apr '09 8:19AM
27 Posts
I Wanna Play! :D Lol

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Games

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedGeneral is The Daddy