Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
I am Sparticus Online - 1 to 11
Return To The Big Questions

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 5th May '07 1:41PM
4213 Posts
I thought I would cross post this from my blog as I think it is worthy of discussion http://monquixote.blogspot.com/

As anyone who reads this forum regularly will know I am not the worlds biggest fan of Digital Rights Management.

After spending billions of pounds and two years developing the stupidly restrictive copy protection system for HDDVD the encryption was broken in a few days by a consumer angry that he couldn't play back the DVD that he had legitimately paid for in the way that he wanted to.

The key to decrypting every single HD DVD is a short string of hexadecimal numbers namely: 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

The heavy handed AACS promptly sent 7000 takedown notices to people who had even mentioned or linked to the story threatening their favorite action of making ordinary content consumers like you and me into criminals.

Digg was a primary target of their ire and their clearly worried management started deleting any posts which included the code. The Digg community reacted by ensuring that every single post on the front page included the code and bloggers worldwide posted the number on their sites a google search shows 1.2 million hits and counting!

To me this is a wonderful thing and shows the web community is willing to stand up and be counted. If we all stand together and say "I am Sparticus" then the fat cats who want to drain our pockets at the expense of our freedom can't touch us. The spin doctoring suggests that people who break DRM are marginalized criminal fanatics with links to terrorism who want to undermine the foundations of the music and Film industries, but this reveals the truth that we are a small but ever growing minority of people who are sick of being told how to use the content that we have legally paid to buy.

you may be thinking this is an over reaction to people wanting to protect their interests and revenue stream, but I would refer you to my post on the horrible crippled media features in Vista which are only the tip of the iceberg for how our digital freedoms are already being exploited.

See here for the BBCs take on the story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6623331.stm

Or here for the story from Boing Boings Fantastic Cory Doctorow
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/04/aacs_vows_to_fight_p.html

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 5th May '07 4:32PM
4678 Posts
"The heavy handed AACS promptly sent 7000 takedown notices to people who had even mentioned or linked to the story"

So what's the betting General's in line for 'First Official Daddy.org Cease & Desist Notice' award at this year's meet

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 5th May '07 6:41PM
2708 Posts
I really wish that companies like the AACS would realise that DRM is never going to work. Ever.

No matter how much money you throw at it, and no matter how clever your creators are it will always be cracked in a number of days because of the sheer number of people out there who are trying to crack it. One of them's always going to stumble across the solution. Plus it's hardly a secure system when you give the people trying to break it the unencoding method. As for insisting that people have to connect to a website to authenticate it then they'll just create a program to do that for them. It's just a dumb idea all around.

The worst situation I've come across is Season 3 of Peep Show. 6 DVD players in my house and not one of them could watch it. I ended up having to circumvent the DRM just so my house mate could watch something he'd paid for!

The solution has to be more flow of information between companies and consumers. I think this is just a perfect example of how far behind their market they actually are. Speaking of which, I think I need to go blog a certain code...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 5th May '07 7:29PM
4213 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

So what's the betting General's in line for 'First Official Daddy.org Cease & Desist Notice' award at this year's meet

Hopefully fairly slim as we are but one of the millions, but you never know.

I'm waiting to look on Boing Boing and find the story "AACS sends multicast Cease and Desist and sues everyone on the internet"

Even the Economist is in on the act: http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=9096421&fsrc=RSS

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Mon 7th May '07 12:47AM
811 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
lots of stuff

just a couple of facts as I've been following this.

This break in AACS actually took place about 3 months ago - by a guy called arnezami on the doom9 forums. There had been an earlier hack by muslix64, but this one was more advanced.

This key that's been published allows you to decrypt al HD-DVDs (and I thing Blurays too) that have been issued *to date*. This key has been withdrawn, so you cannot use it to decrypt newer releases.

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=122363 for more information on AACS and how it and this key (the processing key) works.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 7th May '07 3:23AM
4213 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

This key that's been published allows you to decrypt al HD-DVDs (and I thing Blurays too) that have been issued *to date*. This key has been withdrawn, so you cannot use it to decrypt newer releases.

My understanding was that this is a different hack from the one a while back and is irrevocable.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070415-aacs-cracks-cannot-be-revoked-says-hacker.html

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Mon 7th May '07 4:42PM
811 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
My understanding was that this is a different hack from the one a while back and is irrevocable.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070415-aacs-cracks-cannot-be-revoked-says-hacker.html

Aah, my mistake. In which case this is the hack of the Xbox HD-DVD drive. It is irrevocable, but specific to that drive. It is also only part of the whole scheme (mainly the way to get the Volume ID) - you still need other parts of the scheme to be broken also.

Still, it's all getting somewhere.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 8th May '07 8:30PM
4213 Posts
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/07/howto_own_a_128bit_n.html

Yay now we can all have our own secret numbers and sue each other!

This is my number. If you look at it I'll sue you to death!
67 B5 1F A4 66 64 86 32 B4 79 EE C8 B1 69 D5 52

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 17th May '07 12:45PM
1673 Posts
General, in honour of your role as TDDO's own personal Electronic Freedom Fighter, I've made you a present. A small non-existent prize goes to the first person to understand it:

arrrrr

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 17th May '07 12:54PM
2708 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

arrrrr

Oooooo... Pretty colors... I like your choice

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 17th May '07 1:04PM
4213 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
General, in honour of your role as TDDO's own personal Electronic Freedom Fighter, I've made you a present. A small non-existent prize goes to the first person to understand it:

arrrrr

I'm so touched!

Is it by any chance a an illegal sequence of colours that will make the AACS very angry?

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy