Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
BBFC ban video game - 1 to 5
Return To The Big Questions

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Wed 20th Jun '07 10:53AM
288 Posts
I'm not suprised but I am disappointed by this news. Naturally the game will be available to download illegally, but I'm concerned about where they're going to go with this now. I know the slippery slope argument has its flaws, but censorship just doesn't sit well with me, especially when the item is question is targetted at adults.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6767623.stm

Also, a mate of mine has started a petition over it, small at the moment but feel free to sign up.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/manhunt_2

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 20th Jun '07 10:58AM
4213 Posts
What really got on my nerves is that Splashed on the front of the Metro today was the fact that the parents of a murdered schoolboy thought that the first Manhunt game had triggered a copycat killing which had resulted in the death of their son.

At no point in the article did they mention that when this was investigated by the police it transpired that the murderer did not own the game and had never ever played it.

They would have known this if they had done any research whatsoever so it must have been a deliberate manipulation of the truth to make the story better.

A-HOLES!

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 20th Jun '07 11:08AM
2522 Posts
Rockstar Games have always been controversial (as far as small minded tabloid gits are concerned).

i only hope this doesn't jeapordise GTA 4 when it's released at the end of this year.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 20th Jun '07 5:26PM
4678 Posts
We've been very lucky so far in the UK, there's been virtually no censorship of computer games whatsoever. I think Carmageddon and Thrill Kill were the only ones affected, in Carmageddon they replaced the people with zombies or something and rereleased to much bigger sales than they could ever have achieved otherwise. Thrill Kill was a truly terrible game, but that didn't stop them using the engine to make a dreadful wrestling / Wu Tang Clan thing.

The first manhunt was actually quite a good game, though it got repetitive after a while. It was needlessly gory, but then Watership Down was needlessly rabbity. The whole style, graphics engine and marketing were all about the production of a low-budget snuff movie, after all. While extreme, it wasn't gratuitous, as the game wouldn't exist without the violence. Manhunt 2 sounds even more gory, but again, personally, I'd only find it distasteful if it was gratuitous.

However, gaming does unfortunately seem to be drawing the attention of the media lately, e.g. the Church demanding a game be pulled last week as it contained simulated alien-shooting in Manchester Cathedral. Lets just hope the media get bored before people actually start calling for bans.

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
Rockstar Games have always been controversial (as far as small minded tabloid gits are concerned).

i only hope this doesn't jeapordise GTA 4 when it's released at the end of this year.

They had to pull and rerelease GTA:San Andreas in Australia because of a sex scene which wasn't even viewable without modding the game!

End of this year you say? Time to start saving up for a new graphics card!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 21st Jun '07 10:44AM
4213 Posts
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/06/20/nintendo-says-no-to-ao-manhunt-2/

Looks like Sony and the Big N don't want it on their console in the US either.
I don't blame Nintendo on this as they are pushing a very family friendly agenda with the Wii.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy