Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Recommend me PC Driving Games & Controllers - 1 to 9
Return To Games

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 12th Jul '07 5:07PM
4678 Posts
I've always loved my PC games but I've never really got round to working out the whole racing / driving genre. I was hugely into Mariokart on the SNES and then Gran Turismo on the PSX, but since then I've not really bothered as the PC keyboard isn't ideal for them.

Anyway, I decided it's time to invest in a decent controller, and a good game or two.

I'm not sure if I should go for a joystick or a steering wheel for starters, or should I just stick to my PSX pad + USB adapter? The pad worked well for the GTAs, but I'm guessing sticks and wheels sell for a reason.

Secondly, I have no idea which games to start with. Any recommendations? Bear in mind that if it was released in the last year or two my PC is unlikely to be able to handle it.

Thanks!

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 12th Jul '07 5:30PM
2708 Posts
As good free starting games I'd recommend Ignition, or the even better Re-Volt. They're available online as abandonware and so are completely free and legal. I believe http://www.abandonia.com does them both...

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Fri 13th Jul '07 10:34AM
288 Posts
Not being a great lover of racing games, I've never really gone for steering wheel controllers, but after hunting around this seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3TNS&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=steering+wheels&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Logitech usually do decent game controllers, and this is the cheapest you'll find with force feedback on it. Usually you're looking about the 40 mark for force feedback. Drawbacks I can see are there's no clamp for securing it to the desk, and there's no review on life expectancy, but it does have 2 year warranty so that shouldn't be a problem. Plus 20 isn't a huge investment should you go off driving games.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Fri 13th Jul '07 10:38AM
811 Posts
The need for speed series used to be good when I was at university, but I think that it's gone down the nitrous-fueled, underlit chav street racer route.

Toca Race Driver 2/3 are good fun. Race all kinds of cars from ModelT fords to jeeps to F1 cars.

Trackmania is just fantastic. It's new, but I don't think that it's that graphics intensive. It's a combination of a racing game and scalectrix. Jumps, loop-the-loops and allsorts in real cars. Just fantastic.

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 13th Jul '07 10:59AM
2522 Posts
the Burnout series is pretty good although not very realistic.

you drive round the course at hundreds of miles an hour and you have to smash into things. great fun!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 14th Jul '07 2:11PM
4678 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. So far I've invested in an analogue wheel with 2 pedals, which works fantastically. Couldn't get a Logitech one but I found one of these for 20 quid at Micro Direct.

I've just had a go on re-volt and it looks like a lot of fun. I've just realised how much I need to replay Vice City with a wheel so I'm getting that at the moment, and then I'm going to hunt down Burnout and TOCA 3.

Unfortunately Trackmania will only run small courses happily on my PC - as soon as you load up and interesting course the thing grinds to a halt. Looks amazing, though.

In other news, that abandonia site is fantastic. I'd given up on abandonware sites after the underdogs turned into a steaming heap of popup poo, but abandonia has restored my faith.

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 14th Jul '07 2:40PM
2522 Posts
off topic but demian your avatar is bloody brilliant!

Ginger fury
i sing chaka khan songs while wearing my white stilettos
Sun 15th Jul '07 2:45PM
278 Posts
I agree with Diz on this that has to be the best avatar I'v ever seen

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 16th Jul '07 5:15PM
4678 Posts
That's instalment 2 of the avatar, I have 2 more still in the pipeline yet

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Games

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy