Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Internet Banking - Be Warned! - 1 to 7
Return To The Big Questions

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 13th Jul '07 6:14AM
4597 Posts
So I went to log into my internet banking yesterday and after giving my details as normal the system gave me someone elses damn account. No, really. Full access to another person's money!
I initially got a little afraid that I was suddenly way overdrawn and then noticed that the weekly child support payments were probably not mine. So being the honest fella that I am I decided not to squeeze the last of this poor person's overdraft into my own account and phoned up the bank to let them know. I was kept on hold for half an hour as they tried to figure out who were the right department to deal with it.
This makes me worried. Anyone else ever had this happen?

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Fri 13th Jul '07 8:26AM
288 Posts
For some reason, I've never been comfortable with Internet Banking, despite doing pretty much everything else online.
In all honesty, there isn't that much I actively do at the bank. My banking consists of the occassional cashing of a cheque (rare), or setting up/cancelling a standard order (even rarer), everything else is done at cash points (withdrawing money to spend on lovely boozes), so I don't see much merit in putting my account at potential risk even if its very minor.
When my girlfriend had a query with her bank, the bank manager said one sailent piece of advice (granted he had a vested interest in this but I guess its true all the same) - always use a credit card if you do any mony related things online, should your details get stolen you can let the credit card company sort it out as it's their money, if its direct debit information that gets stolen its your money that goes and you're in a much tighter position until its sorted.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Fri 13th Jul '07 10:32AM
811 Posts
That's really very worrying. I've never heard of this happening at all. I do all my banking online in contrast to Feign, so am slightly troubled by this. Which bank was it out of interest?

Feign made a salient point about using credit cards in preference to debit cards online. Another good reason is that credit cards are more strictly regulated for spending than debit cards (to stop people getting into massive debt) so you've got more regulations covering your arse if things go badly - Always try to use a credit card online if at all possible instead of a debit card.

Feign
It's your time you're wasting!
Fri 13th Jul '07 10:40AM
288 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

Another good reason is that credit cards are more strictly regulated for spending than debit cards (to stop people getting into massive debt) so you've got more regulations covering your arse if things go badly.

This reminds me, when I bought my TV using my credit card online, the transaction wouldn't go through. At first I thought there was a problem with the server or something, but then I got a phone call from my credit card company (this was pretty late in the evening too) and they had logged that a large transaction had been requested (not common for me) and phoned me to confirm that it was me making the purchase. They seem to take internet fraud pretty seriously, so I'm happy using them to purchase online.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sat 14th Jul '07 2:30AM
4597 Posts
Just got this email from the bank:

We experienced system problems relating to our e-banking facility last night, as a consequence of network issues with our external supplier, and I'm really sorry if you were affected by this.

There was a short window where customers could view random data, none of which related to a specific customer, and none of which could be transacted on - i.e. a presentational error without any security exposure.

So they claim it wasn't any single person's account. Hmmm, the weekly child support payments seemed a bit too regular to be random data. Ah well.

This reminds me of something funny that happened to me last year. I was in Cape Town and took a couple of thousand Rand out of a machine (about 200 - less fees if you take out decent chunks at a time). The next time I used my card (when i was back home) I found that it had been stopped and when I called them they said that it was because they were concerned by a large withdrawel in a foreign country. I explained that all was well and asked them to reactivate me and thought nothing more of it until I got my next statement. They had automatically refunded the money I had taken out and to this day have never taken it back.
A decent chunk of the cash soon found its way to Children in Need

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 14th Jul '07 9:47AM
4213 Posts
You should submit your story to somewhere like Boing Boing.
If it doesn't get publicity then they will just do it again.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Sun 15th Jul '07 2:58PM
811 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Just got this email from the bank:

There was a short window where customers could view random data, none of which related to a specific customer, and none of which could be transacted on - i.e. a presentational error without any security exposure.

So they claim it wasn't any single person's account. Hmmm, the weekly child support payments seemed a bit too regular to be random data. Ah well.

Actually, it sounds like you could see one person's bank details, but the person in question wasn't specific and if someone else had the same experience of seeing someone else's details, it would be of someone entirely different to the one that you saw. That's my take on it anyway

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedGeneral is The Daddy