By bye hackers
MMR Doctor a Fake - 1 to 6
Return To The Big Questions

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 16th Jul '07 4:01PM
4213 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6289166.stm

Personally I think this guy should go to jail for a long time.

He caused huge amounts of stress to worried parents, Cost the country millions in research to show that there was no link and put children's lives at risk by causing worried, but ill informed parents to withhold immunisation from their children and it turns out his research is a crock.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 16th Jul '07 4:51PM
2708 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6289166.stm

Personally I think this guy should go to jail for a long time.

He caused huge amounts of stress to worried parents, Cost the country millions in research to show that there was no link and put children's lives at risk by causing worried, but ill informed parents to withhold immunisation from their children and it turns out his research is a crock.

Off some of the things that the article says he's done, sure he should go to jail. But you seem to be suggesting he should go to jail because he investigated a scientific theory. Yes, it was disproved, but we'd never know that if people hadn't investigated first...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 16th Jul '07 5:17PM
4213 Posts
I'm suggesting that he should go to jail because he faked some research and then when this faked research started to have serious ramifications he used it as a platform to make himself look important rather than admitting it was a con.

If he had just done some genuine research that turned up a false positive then that would be fine with me.

You have to have seen him posturing about his legitimate concerns for children's safety to appreciate what a dick this guy is.

Jog_Eerie
All this thinking has gone to our heads
Tue 17th Jul '07 11:51AM
366 Posts
As an aside, I've always found it remarkable how so many people listened to what this guy had to say and took it seriously, yet a whole body of scientific research has had one hell of a time convincing people that climate change exists.

My only conclusion is that we are so disillusioned with authority these days, society is more willing to trust one maverick voice than the scientific consensus.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 17th Jul '07 1:42PM
4213 Posts
It is a very interesting aside and one which I imagine comes down to 2 factors:

(1) People are more inclined to believe things to be true if it would be easier if they were true.
Believing that MMR is bad for your kids is a belief that involves being passive i.e. not having your kids be immunised and therefore makes your life easier.
Believing in climate change means having to do more things like recycle and walk rather than drive.

(2) The MMR thing is a flat out awesome news story even if it had a dubious scientific basis. The thought of concerned mums leading their innocent children like lambs to the slaughter to be stuck with deadly MMR is like something out of a horror story.
I can't work out the degree to which the reporting of the story was due to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story and the degree to which it came down to a complete lack of understanding of the scientific method.

Jog_Eerie
All this thinking has gone to our heads
Tue 17th Jul '07 6:45PM
366 Posts
On point two, I suspect a bit of both - it was a good story. One thing is for sure though, the lack of ability in the industry to distinguish between good quality, peer-reviewed research and a back-of-the-envelope survey is shocking.

However, this appeared in the Lancet so, I suppose, it wasn't just the media that were duped. It would only have been fair to give it some credence and the rest was because it was a headline grabber with echos of the formalderhide scandal.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy