Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Spiders, the little big question. - 1 to 4
Return To The Big Questions

Andrew
Trainee Daddy
Thu 19th Jul '07 8:49PM
10 Posts
I have a weird reaction every time a spider catches me out in the dark, and until about an hour ago I could not really handle a spider apart from putting one in a cup and launching it out of a window(I hate killing anything. Mainly because it makes a mess, but also it's bad karma).

But I saw a documentary on jumping spiders some time ago and actually came across a pretty big one today, and man, was it cool! It was sort of like a little cat, stalking about, leaping from place to place, chasing some ant thing etc.. and I even handled the thing! with it's big eyes just looking about like a helpless kitten I couldn't help but sigh with respect for a the little 8 legged warrior that was no bigger than a garden pea.

If your afraid of spiders, try handling one of these lil guys, they won't hurt, they seem to spend most there time wading through the skin hair you didn't realise was there.

Anyway! to my question.. what's the best way of getting over a spider fear? I'm pretty sure mine originated from when I was a kid and lifted some peace of slate only to be confronted by some nasty red spider thing... makes me shiver thinking about it.

Oh and my last place had a spider infestation which involved waking up far to often with big ass house spiders crawling over me

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 19th Jul '07 9:17PM
2522 Posts

Andrew was brave enough to touch a spider:

i'd say you've answered your own question there - the best way to overcome an irrational fear of the buggers is to pick them up.

i was scared of the bloody things for years but they actually aren't that scary once you touch them. like you i was scared by a big spider when i was small so the fear just stuck. these days they aren't a problem because i've held them in my hands.

what you really need to ask yourself though is 'could i cuddle a camel spider?'

http://forum.thedaddy.org/view_thread.html?ref_id=26542&id=26623&start=0

...they have two more legs than a normal spider because they are f****ng evil. also they eat testicles (allegedly).

Andrew
Trainee Daddy
Thu 19th Jul '07 9:21PM
10 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

Andrew was brave enough to touch a spider:

i'd say you've answered your own question there - the best way to overcome an irrational fear of the buggers is to pick them up.

i was scared of the bloody things for years but they actually aren't that scary once you touch them. like you i was scared by a big spider when i was small so the fear just stuck. these days they aren't a problem because i've held them in my hands.

what you really need to ask yourself though is 'could i cuddle a camel spider?'

http://forum.thedaddy.org/view_thread.html?ref_id=26542&id=26623&start=0

...they have two more legs than a normal spider because they are f****ng evil. also they eat testicles (allegedly).

Holy compost heap.. that trucker is a scary son of a dog, thanks. But as you say, handle them.. but going from small jumping spider to big ass house spider is like getting over heights by jumping of the bottom stair of a staircase.. well that's how I see it

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 19th Jul '07 9:34PM
2522 Posts
this is an interesting overview of arachnophobia and some of the methods to help cure it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/arachnophobia.shtml

also, you should watch Life in the Undergrowth, if you haven't already. its a BBC 6 parter about insects and arachnids. watch the Silk Spinners episode and you'll see that spiders lead brutal but quite amazing lives. they also play an essential and irreplaceable part in the ecosystem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760222/

hope you conquer the fear.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy