By bye hackers
Food For Thought If You Are Planning on Buying a PC With Vista - 1 to 8
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 16th Aug '07 6:02PM
4213 Posts
http://www.pclaunches.com/software/olympic_committee_chooses_xp_over_vista.php

Major PC manufacturer Lenovo don't think Vista will be stable enough to use for the 2008 Olympic games and are going with XP even though there is still a year to go.

I'm glad I'm not planning on buying a PC any time soon as it is getting harder to find stuff that doesn't come with Vista and I'm still not convinced.

That said you can buy Dells with Ubuntu in the UK now so I'd probably do that and skip the Microsoft Tax.
http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 22nd Sep '07 5:22PM
4213 Posts
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/microsoft-giving-vista-business-ultimate-users-downgrade-to/

Hmm, even Microsoft seem to agree that Vista is still a bit rubbish.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 11th Oct '07 2:56PM
4213 Posts
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138308-pg,1/article.html

Angry mum gives MS Steve Balmer a kicking about Vista.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 29th Jul '08 4:30PM
4213 Posts
I found this article very interesting.
Microsoft keep claiming Vista is selling incredibly well. Everyone else on earth thinks it is tanking. The reason for the bogus stats turns out to be because you can't buy XP licences any more but you can ship an XP PC under the Vista licence so every XP machine sold chalks up another Vista sale.

http://apcmag.com/xp_still_killing_vista_in_sales_volume_hp.htm

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 29th Jul '08 5:46PM
4678 Posts
I had to shop around a bit today in order to find a shop willing to sell me XP. I ended up with an OEM version which is a bit dodgy, but I thought I'd best get one while I still could.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 31st Jul '08 10:23PM
4597 Posts
I've yet to find a good reason for getting Vista.
It costs a fortune
It restricts your control over your own machine
It has huge software and hardware compatibility issues
It has very questionable privacy policies
It eats system resources

It's just rubbish!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 1st Aug '08 9:47AM
1673 Posts
It's an interesting one, this. I've been following the fortunes of Vista with a passing interest but without ever once actually seeing it used... my impression is that there has never before been a release of Windows (or its predecessors) that was so unilaterally panned and avoided. Is that true, do you think, or is it always like this when a new version comes out?

How much of the anti-hype (a word I've just made up, as far as I'm aware) is just because they're Microsoft, whose latest product would always have legions of detractors? Or, to put it another way, did Windows XP get the same treatment in 2001-03?

As far as I can tell, it's a little of both - while any Windows OS would have queues of people wanting to trash it (myself probably included!), it does seem that by any objective standard Vista has been of substantially lower quality than expected. But in which case, how on earth could this have been allowed to happen? Do they not test these things at all before selling them? Can those of you who work in software related industries shed any light on it?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 1st Aug '08 10:12AM
4213 Posts
There has been a couple of versions of Windows that have failed hugely. One is Windows ME which was very unreliable and got axed a few months after release and the other legendary failure was Bob which was an OS for computer novices which was so terrible many people thought it was some kind of sick joke.

While a lot of people will slate MS products just for the sake of it I'm not one of them. They have proved that when they fight on a level playing field to Apple and control the software and the hardware platform as with the Zune and the Xbox they can make really great products.

I'm quite happy to go on record and say that I think XP is a pretty decent OS especially when you consider all the different machines and types of users it has to cope with. I would also say as someone who has extensively used 3.1, 95, 2000 and XP that each one was better than the last and impressed me in some way.

Vista has not impressed me at all for the following reasons:
It is too resource intensive and so doesn't run on low spec machines, or make the most of high spec machines.
It is much more secure, but so security paranoid that it is very disruptive to the usability of the system.
At no point do you get a sense that it does something that XP can't
It's expensive and comes in an overcomplicated variety of configurations.
It has been dishonestly marketed. MS stitched up consumers, by colluding with Intel to spread incorrect information that Vista would run on low spec PCs when in fact it won't (Luckily they got busted for this).
MS have deliberately stiched up gamers by artificially restricting the latest DirectX version on XP forcing gamers to upgrade and damaging the already wobbly PC games market.

And perhaps the biggest nail in the coffin. When I switched to Linux at home I made Giraffe a log in and left her to it. From the get go she has used it every day with no bother. When we were at her brothers house a few weeks back she tried to use his new Vista laptop to do a couple of simple things and she ended up switching it off in frustration after a 15 minutes of cursing because everything you try and do leads to bizarre pop ups and warning messages.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy