Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Domain names and web hosting - 1 to 8
Return To Techy Corner

Desert Creature
Boof boof, sproing!
Wed 10th Oct '07 7:31PM
101 Posts
(fingers crossed this new thread works )

Hi all you geeky gurus,

I want to register a domain name, send and receive email from that domain and finally host a very basic webpage or two.

I'm a geek myself so I know more or less how to go about this from a technical point of view but I've never actually done it before.

What I would really like to know is who to give my hard earned money to. Which domain registration and web hosting companies do thedaddy.orgers use and are there any pitfalls I need to look out for?

Thanks

Des

Desert Creature
Boof boof, sproing!
Wed 10th Oct '07 7:31PM
101 Posts
Yay! It does work now!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 11th Oct '07 8:22AM
4597 Posts
All my domains are registered with http://www.ukreg.com - they're the cheapest I've found and have all the basic features I could ask for.
This webspace is hosted by http://www.bluehost.com and even if you only want a couple of simple pages, at $6.95 a month you can't really complain In fact it looks like they'll now give you a free domain when you sign up!
You'd find some half decent free webspace out there but I've not seen any without at least a banner ad.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 11th Oct '07 10:08AM
811 Posts
I use Bytemark. It's probably not what you're after though, as you get a server and a domain name and an IP address. You can then set up the server however you like and if you want to do web-serving and email serving you have to set them up yourself. It does, however, mean that you can set it up exactly as you like it and run anything you like from it. It's also run by a couple of friends of mine.

Desert Creature
Boof boof, sproing!
Thu 11th Oct '07 11:36AM
101 Posts
Thats good info. Thank you guys.

Desert Creature
Boof boof, sproing!
Thu 11th Oct '07 2:59PM
101 Posts
I am now the proud owner of iamamonsterkillme.com!

It's the new name of my band. Only taken us 2 years to think of one!

I went for bluehost in the end.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 11th Oct '07 3:02PM
1673 Posts
Excellent work.

I also like the fact that your Forum username suggests that you may, in fact, be a monster! Brilliant.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 4th Feb '08 4:19PM
4213 Posts
I'm planning on putting together a fairly simple website for my new band. Does anyone know of any free hosting that doesn't slap a banner add on the middle of your page?

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy