By bye hackers
Tiny Laptop for £169! - 1 to 29
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 22nd Oct '07 5:46PM
4213 Posts
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49293507,00.htm

Asus have released a super mini laptop that only costs £169!

It's 7" so half way between a laptop and a PDA and it runs on flash memory rather than having a hard disk so it has a really good battery life as well as being super light and it starts up in 30 seconds.

It's fairly low powered so it runs Linux rather than Windows, but the good thing for non techies is that it has been designed to work as an appliance (Like some Nokia phones which also run Linux) rather than a PC so it is set up to "just work" like a Mac with all the things you need like web browsers and word processing on big simple buttons. They do plan to release an XP version. (Which will probably be £50 more and probably run quite a bit slower!)

I'm really excited about this.
The great thing about this is that Asus have done what Nintendo did with the Wii and ducked out of the arms race of power and graphics and produced a device that does the things that really matter like being small and light and cheap and having good battery life and it will almost certainly be more responsive than a much faster PC running Vista.

I'm quite tempted to get one especially as it would probably be a trivial task to install Xubuntu which would be pretty awesome!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 23rd Oct '07 3:36PM
4597 Posts
Wow I'd love to get one of those - lightweight, low power linux systems are so the way of the future. Less heat, less moving parts and much more stable. And now for less that 2 ton. Fantastic!

Ooh and there are some (unconfirmed) mutterings on the web that it's getting released in the US for $199 which may well mean that the price will come down over here fairly soon.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 23rd Oct '07 4:08PM
4213 Posts
I think that might be a red herring the price was supposed to be $199 but it ended up being $250-450 vs £169-260 over here depending on spec.

The only thing stopping me from pre ordering one is that apparently in April they are planning to move from a Celeron M to a Core 2 Merom which will mean similar performance but 7w power consumption rather than 11w which will probably add 50% to the battery life.

The only thing stopping me is: WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 6th Nov '07 12:02AM
4213 Posts

Ooo Ars are saying some interesting stuff about the EEE PC.

Edit: Now Tescos will sell you an Ubuntu PC for £139!

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.aspx

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 7th Nov '07 5:02PM
4213 Posts
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=158485

Expansys have the 4GB one for £219.

I'm so tempted to stick an order in!

Help me forum goers!

Should I cave and buy the new techy toy or should I wait for price reductions and the Merom equipped model?

Spanners*
Wed 7th Nov '07 5:53PM
4597 Posts
$100 dollar laptops are now becoming available too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7082701.stm

They're meant as an initiative for children's education in poor countries but you can get one under the 'give one get one' scheme where you can have one for yourself if you buy one for a poor kid. So really it's a $200 laptop but still not bad with the dollar so low.
I'm sure the techies out there will join me in appreciating the wireless mesh network idea they came up with for extending the wireless range.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 13th Nov '07 1:18AM
4213 Posts
Woo I've got one!

I am writing this post from my brand new ASUS EEE PC 701 (512MB, 4GB, £219) and dang was it some kind of freaky time getting one.

I saw posters up in one of the shops on Tottenham Court Road (For those of you not familiar with London this is the electrical goods district) while I was in town which reminded me that today was UK release day.
The first shop I visited (at about 1pm) had said they had just got them in but had already sold out of all of the White ones and only had three Black ones left. I really wanted to see a white one before i made a choice so I set off down the road.

I did a quick whistle stop tour of the 15 or so PC shops. 10 had got shipments that morning and of those only three had any left in stock and none of them had any white ones. In just about every shop someone was ordering one, or playing with a demo model. Having played with a White demo unit and deciding that the black one was just dandy
I quickly went back to the first shop (bear in mind only about 15 minutes had elapsed). When I got there I found that he had now sold the remaining three units in stock, but he told me that he also owned the other shop that had them in stock over the road. He phoned and confirmed that they had one left so I paid while he nipped over and got it. While I was paying he rang the shop assistant and told her that in the time it took him to cross the road they had sold it and the didn't have any more, by this time I had already paid so he gave me one that was being held for another customer as I was quite understandably miffed.
While he was bringing it in a woman came in and said she wanted to buy it but he told her he had just sold it to me and it was the last one.
The shop assistant seemed completely confused and said it was only normally like this the week before Christmas.

First impressions are that the build quality and interface are good and it boots very fast. I also can't get over just how small it is (not much bigger than my old Psion 3) but I will do a detailed review ASAP.

Also just because Engadget do it here is some unboxing pr0n:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Nice Box!

Behold Babylon

No I'm not a giant, it really is that small.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 13th Nov '07 9:53AM
1673 Posts
Tell us more! Tell us more!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 13th Nov '07 7:29PM
4213 Posts
Will do sir.

I'm going to be doing a full and detailed review in the next day or two.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 15th Nov '07 12:06AM
4213 Posts
Review in the review section now!

Joshtbw
Now with added toes
Sun 23rd Dec '07 6:45PM
8 Posts
I am totally going to go for a give one-get one program, but the child in my life who's gonna get one is MEEEEEEEEEE!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 4th Feb '08 11:38PM
4213 Posts
In the most recent instalment of Stephen Fry's rather excellent blog he not only gives a very positive review of the EEE PC. He also claims that Linux is the future.

"The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shanít burden you with too much detail, Iíll just make the outrageous claim that your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result."

While I'm not as optimistic as Fry I find this very interesting because:

Stephen Fry is a very clever man

Stephen Fry is well known for being an obsessive Mac fanboy.

His blog gets published in the Guardian which is the kind of mainstream exposure that Linux doesn't usually get.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 22nd Feb '08 11:29PM
4213 Posts
The EEE is indestructible!

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/eee/video/x4dhhl_tests-resistance-chocs-chaleur-froi_tech

I don't think the Mac Book Air would stand up to that kind of grief.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 5th Mar '08 2:19PM
1673 Posts
I was at a conference yesterday and one of the workshop dudes did his presentation from one of these. It was brill! I mean, I already knew how small they are, from all the stuff on the web and from General's photo... but still, it really was small. (and brill.)

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 5th Mar '08 4:31PM
4213 Posts
http://www.eeeuser.com/2008/03/04/next-generation-asus-eee-pc-900/

The 9" has just been announced and looks veeeeery nice.

I almost wish I'd waited, but they are too damn cool for me to have held out.

Spanners*
Wed 9th Apr '08 11:17AM
4597 Posts
Just ordered me the 4Gb version. Very excited right now!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 9th Apr '08 11:25AM
4213 Posts
Yay!

You won't regret it, they freaking rock!

Once there is a Hardy Heron build for it I might stick Xubuntu on mine.

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Sat 12th Apr '08 10:28AM
505 Posts
Ordered myself one for my birthday and share Spanners' excitement

Spanners*
Tue 15th Apr '08 12:41PM
4597 Posts
I'm really liking it so far. I thought the build in OS was a bit limited until I installed full desktop mode which gives me all the functionality I was after. Also it looks like pretty much any Debian package will install on it if you set up apt-get to look at the repositories so I've not yet found any software limitations.
The screen res is the biggest pain, both in terms of having to scroll windows all over the place and in some cases rendering applications useless as their controls are off the screen - e.g. run synaptic package manager and then try to get at the installation confirmation button.
What would you say are the benefits of Ubuntu vs the built in OS?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 15th Apr '08 5:50PM
4213 Posts
For me the main reason I would switch to Xubuntu would be purely for consistency with my other machines. I haven't installed it yet because I like the wizzy boot times that Xandros offers.

I'm currently running the default OS in simple mode because I pretty much only use it for Firefox and Openoffice at the moment and the complex OS takes much longer to boot.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ has loads of guides for installing various stuff.

I would really like to install Haiku BeOS if it ever gets to a mature stage, but that's probably going to be some time.

Also Amiga OS5 would probably be a great choice if it wasn't PPC only.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 16th Apr '08 11:01PM
4213 Posts
Cnet have reviewed the EEE 900 it looks very nice, but it still needs a touchscreen and an Atom processor!

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49296523,00.htm

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 17th Jun '08 10:42PM
4213 Posts
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49297392,00.htm

If you've been holding out for the Atom version of the EEE now is your chance.

What build are you running on yours span man?

Spanners*
Wed 18th Jun '08 1:04PM
4597 Posts
I like the look of the new atom, particularly the bigger screen would be very useful. I've stuck with the base Xandros build but configured full desktop mode and added a few more software packages.
I'd love to see bluetooth, a touchscreen and tablet mode on one of these. Although I'm probably only saying that as I have recently acquired a Fujistu Lifebook 1510 which has made me a little spoilt in the ways of the touchscreen.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 28th Jul '08 1:38PM
4213 Posts
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080727-running-ubuntu-on-the-eee-pc.html

Good guide to getting Ubuntu running on the EEE

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 1st Aug '08 3:54PM
4213 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

I would really like to install Haiku BeOS if it ever gets to a mature stage, but that's probably going to be some time.

http://osnews.com/story/20135/Haiku_Runs_on_Asus_EeePC

Woo hoo!

I knew it was only a matter of time

Desert Creature
Boof boof, sproing!
Thu 18th Sep '08 8:54PM
101 Posts
Today I got me a 901 running Linux!

And now I'm in the pub looking like an idiot but I don't care.

First impressions are great. Now I'm just wondering how much fiddling I should do to it because half of me is saying "leave it alone, it does everything you need it too already and it's nice and neat" while the other half is saying "it feels too much like a toy without a proper desktop". Hmmm.

I almost squealed with joy when I noticed one small feature: the USB ports still have volts on them when the PSU (pleasingly small) is plugged in but the machine is off! I plan to take this on holiday with me soon and now it'll double as a charger for all my other gadgets as well. Bonus!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 18th Sep '08 11:14PM
4213 Posts
They are truly lovely devices.

eeeuser is your best bet for resources including all the distros you can put on your EEE.

http://www.eeeuser.com/

Amusingly you can even put OSX on your EEE if you are so inclined.

Be aware that any other OS you put on the EEE is unlikely to boot as fast as the freaky optimized Xandros build that it comes with.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is looking like a good choice at the moment.

Spanners*
Sun 21st Sep '08 10:06AM
4597 Posts
My plan for today is to get my eeepc working as a webserver and streaming its webcam so I can keep an eye on my rabbit from afar. I'll post the feed here when it's done.
Instructions here if anyone else fancies a try
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=13624

Spanners*
Tue 30th Sep '08 2:05PM
4597 Posts
I just found this little app http://webcamserver.sourceforge.net/ that allows you to stream your webcam over the net without even needing a webserver. It helped me get Boris Cam up and running.

It's got an applet with it that you should be able to embed in a browser to connect and control it but I was unable to get working. However if you get the server running on port 80 (http port) and forward that port on your router to your machine you can access the webcam images directly with a web browser. You have to reload the page to update the image manually but it's easy to get some javascript going to refresh the image for you.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy