By bye hackers
Is Sarah Kennedy A Racist? - 1 to 3
Return To The Big Questions

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 31st Oct '07 8:41PM
4213 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7071592.stm

I was really surprised that Radio 2 have decided to issue an apology after Sarah Kennedy said that she nearly ran over a black guy in dark clothes because she couldn't see him in the dark.

Surely it can't racist to make a statement of fact. I like all right thinking people that people of all ethnicities have the capacity to attain the same levels of intellect and are all basically the same in all the ways that matter, but stating that an Afro Caribbean persons skin reflects less light than a Caucasian is a statement of fact not an opinion.

This is just the kind of pointless exercise that allows the Daily Mail to publish a story including the phrase "Political Correctness Gone Mad" and surely that must be avoided at all costs.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 31st Oct '07 9:23PM
2708 Posts
Actually this is the kind of story that allows the Daily Mail to have a headline like "Racism on air" followed the next day with a headline of "Political Correctness gone mad!"

However, to some extent I agree with you, the colour of their skin wouldn't have helped her to see them in the dark - which is a simple statement of fact. Even further I'd go so far as to point out it's anecdotal and so it could have been her simply pointing out that she nearly ran over someone wearing dark clothing in the dark. Someone who just happened to be black.

At the same time however, I don't think anyone of a Caucasian origin can truly understand what it means to be black. Although this was almost certainly a simple throw away story that's been blown out of proportion, I don't think we can truly understand how few of them it takes to become something that actually matters.

For instance, I myself am Scottish and on more than one occasion I have been known to wear a kilt. On almost every single occasion I have found myself growing more and more surly because of the sheer size and scale of people (and when I say people I generally mean the English. Sorry, that one is just fact) who find cause to comment on it. Sometimes they're meant as insults, and sometimes they're meant as jokes. Occasionally I even get compliments. But always by the end of the evening my usually happy demeanor has been destroyed by it, and I find myself over-reacting to any comment, no matter how benign.

Yes, this was just a throw away story that could be, and was, taken in an offensive light. But isn't the fact that it was taken to be offensive more a sign of casual racism in society rather than an over-reaction to a simple statement?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 1st Nov '07 5:35PM
4678 Posts
According to this article, ALL white people are racist!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58426

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy