Return To The Big Questions

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Tue 6th Nov '07 3:31PM
838 Posts
These two stories are on the BBC website today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7080644.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7080507.stm

Now I find both of these women intensely irritating, but I have been trying to figure out the reason why. After giving it some thought, I think a lot of it is the way they constantly self-publicise, in a 'woe is me, look how awful my life is' kind of way. Still, I don't like the fact that I have formed such a strong reaction based on nothing but seeing them on the Internet, on television and in newspapers and magazines.

How much of a true personality can you really determine in this way?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 6th Nov '07 3:41PM
4213 Posts
I find them both intensely irritating because they make a living out of being a hard luck story when we all know plenty of people in far worse situations making the best of it.

I reserve extra dislike and pity for Mills as she is clearly a fantasist and a bad actress to boot.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 6th Nov '07 3:50PM
2522 Posts
i have no idea who that katona woman is but the mills one is a total numpty.

excellent review of mccartney's rubbish song on drowned in sound here...

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/2119515

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 6th Nov '07 7:12PM
2708 Posts
It's a tough one I've got to admit.

I think the problem is that there's an impression of knowing someone without actually knowing them. You get this feel for them through their various interviews and appearances.

Except the problem here is that they appear to be trying to promote an image of themselves. Katona is obviously trying to show how well she's done cutting down to only one cigarette a day. To be fair to her it is, but you've got to wonder if she's managed to go that far why she hasn't just given up altogether?

In her own way she's trying to be an inspiration to people. I'd imagine that there are a number of people out there who think of her as one. Is that really such a bad thing?

As for Heather Mills, well I wonder what it would be like to actually be married to Paul McCartney. As much as he comes across as a thoroughly nice guy, I don't for a second think that he's managed to get to where he is without a certain amount of ruthlessness. On top of that Mills had to contend with filling Linda's shoes in the public eye. I don't think I can really blame her for lashing out. I think it's a misguided attempt that will probably end up back-firing against her, but I can't blame her for it.

I should probably add that there's a certain level of celebrity that I'm aware of but just ignore. The kind of people that have no real bearing on me i.e. I'm not really interested in the work they've produced. Or not produced. They also tend to be self-publicising. Paris Hilton is another classic example.

The celebrities that tend to stick (from my point of view and in my personal experience) are the very talented ones who do their best to maintain a tight control over their personal life in the media. You might know some things about their life, but you never really read about them in the tabloids.

Anyway, to get back to your original question - I don't imagine you can really draw a true idea of what someone is like from the media, no matter who they are. By necessity the media has a slight distortion to it to make the story more interesting. After all who'd want to read the fascinating story of Harrison Ford answering emails?

The situation gets even more distorted when the celebrities themselves are promoting themselves. I mean a certain amount of self-publicity has to happen to be famous, but there comes a stage when it's going too far. I really don't care about Katona's pregnancy, or whether Macca is a skinflint or not. I'm very happy for Katona if that's what she wants and I'm sorry for Mills anger, but I don't actually care.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy