Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
How do I kill a process stone dead in XP? - 1 to 2
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 8th Nov '07 10:58AM
4213 Posts
Techy people of TDDO I beseech you please hear my cry for help.

How the hell are you supposed to kill a process in XP?

My work laptop inexplicably shuts its self down every so often so I'm trying to look at he event viewer to see what I can gleen. Because the PC is a big pile of crap the event viewer quite often locks up. As is often the case trying to kill the process with task manager does jack all and taskkill from the command line reports success then promptly doesn't work.

I've tried getting hardcore and using

ntsd -p [pid] -c "q"

Which runs through a list of impressive looking stuff then also does bugger all.

So can anyone tell me if there is some method by which I can get the two dead event manager windows to close without rebooting my machine?

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 8th Nov '07 1:11PM
811 Posts
Try pskill. You'll need to download the PStools from the interweb. Don't know whether it will work, but if not, then I wouldn't hold out much hope

Edit: Sometimes services will refuse to shut down. If it's a service, try going through the admin tools in the control panel to services and stop it in there. That may work (if it's a service that is)

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy