Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Big Business Getting an Environmental Conscience? - 1 to 6
Return To The Big Questions

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 6th Dec '07 11:08AM
4597 Posts
Recently Google have announced a big investment into renewable energy, in particular efforts towards making solar energy cheaper than fossil fuels.

Good Energy are the first UK supplier to provide 100% of their energy from renewable sources at an impressively small premium of only about 4 a month over other suppliers.

Ecotricity claim to invest 900 per customer in wind farms and have been voted the UK's greenest energy supplier with 30% of their supply being generated from renewable sources.

EON are making huge investments into offshore wind farms and are building one of the world's largest in the Thames estuary which could power a quarter of London.

Even British gas are offering 4 free energy saving lightbulbs when you switch to paperless billing - a small step but given their customer base it could save a vast amount of energy and paper.

This pleases me

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 6th Dec '07 11:28AM
4213 Posts
I'm sure individuals at companies have a conscience about climate change, but this change is determined by market forces.
Companies are offering products with an environmental emphasis because it allows them to charge a premium and capture a sector of the market that is concerned about climate change.

There is only so much green energy to go around at the moment so in some respects it is somewhat of a middle class guilt tax which allows you to pay more but not actually change your behaviours rather like carbon credits.

EDIT: Hmm I've realised how negative that sounds. All things considered I still think that it is great that the options are becoming available and the interest will spur on new investment.

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 6th Dec '07 11:47AM
2522 Posts
its good news but it does mean that Virgin Media won't send me a payment slip any more meaning they take money from my account when theres none there causing me to be charged 38 and my only other option is to send them a cheque which takes upwards of a fortnight to process and results in my internet connection being disconnected because they asked me to pay by debit card but they won't let me have a debit or a credit card because i was naughty in a previous life.

still, its good news.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 7th Dec '07 8:46AM
4597 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
I'm sure individuals at companies have a conscience about climate change, but this change is determined by market forces.
Companies are offering products with an environmental emphasis because it allows them to charge a premium and capture a sector of the market that is concerned about climate change.

Very true however I'm firmly of the opinion that doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing.

edit: ooh and I've just seen British Gas's new zero carbon footprint tarriff
Makes you wonder why anyone sticks with fossil fuels given the choice...

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Tue 11th Dec '07 11:22AM
624 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

There is only so much green energy to go around at the moment so in some respects it is somewhat of a middle class guilt tax which allows you to pay more but not actually change your behaviours rather like carbon credits.

I agree.

I'm really not sure who to believe when it comes to 'being green'. I want to do my bit when it comes to looking after the planet, so I recycle everything that has an appropriate bin; I cycle to work most of the time, but this is mainly because I hate driving, and I try my best to buy British produce when I can after a realisation a year-or-so ago that the five vegetables on my plate were from five different countries.
I can't help but think that it is much more important to concentrate on the little things that we take for granted, the things that we blindly allow into our day-to-day routines because they are convienient. I want to believe that the engergy companies care about the environment, but I think they want us to believe they care so we use less, but pay more for the peace of mind that comes about from this. That way, people can feel less guilt about driving to the Tesco Express 5mins down the road in an SUV to pick up some organic, fairtrade* green beans that have been flown in from Egypt.

Consciousness is far more important than what tariff you're on - switching everything off at night, not leaving mobile phone chargers in an active wall socket, etc...
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for renewable energy, but I think it's a bit pointless unless attitudes change.
'How can I make life easier for myself' has been a maxim of humanity** - with little regard for the concequences - for far too long. It is my belief that the ends rarely justify the means.

*Before my cynicism gets the better of me, I'll state for the record that I am NOT against fairtrade in anyway, shape or form.
**In "The West", at least.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 11th Dec '07 12:28PM
4213 Posts
The council didn't take any of my recycling because it was placed 2 feet away from the proper location now it is soaking wet and I can't take it back in the house so I have to throw it all away.

Well done Ealing Council!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy