Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Medical Issues - 1 to 16
Return To General Merriment

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 17th Dec '07 4:29PM
4597 Posts
So you may have realised that I've not been around much in the past week - this is because I had a wisdom tooth taken out last Tuesday under general anaesthetic and needed to recover.
Looked like I had a gold ball in my mouth for a while but the swelling has gone down now and I was expecting everything to be back to normal this week.
However I'm still unable to open my mouth further than a centimetre an a half or so and it causes rather sharp pain when I try. I thought this can't be right so had a little inspection in the mirror and discovered to my horror that they've sewn my chuffing jaw shut!
No, really. The stitches go from my gum to a point about half way up my cheek which are actually holding my mouth shut. I phoned up today expecting them to give me some valid reason why this might have been done but the nurse just went quiet for a moment and then booked me in to have it sorted tomorrow.

Damn.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 17th Dec '07 4:37PM
4213 Posts
Bloody hell that's horrible!

I hope they sort it for you damn quick.

On the plus side it's a good excuse to eat nothing but smoothies and ice cream.

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Mon 17th Dec '07 4:43PM
288 Posts
Poor spanners......
xxx
I spoke to your tooth last night... he misses you... look he's so nice... why would they want to take him away???? WHY??????????

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 17th Dec '07 5:01PM
2522 Posts
good lord thats bloody horrible!

hope it all gets better soon.

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Mon 17th Dec '07 5:26PM
505 Posts
I've had bad dental experiences but I swear I'll never complain ever again.

Seconding everyone's wishes for a speedy sorting out of the problem.

LadyBird
But Jesus sez 'Oh hai! Iz just me. lol.'
Mon 17th Dec '07 6:43PM
69 Posts

The only comfort I can think of is that it'll be a bloody good story to tell once it's all over...

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Tue 18th Dec '07 9:22AM
510 Posts

My face hurts just reading this! Wisdom teeth aren't fun at the best of times - hope you get mended soon.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 18th Dec '07 10:00AM
1673 Posts
Good grief! That's horrendous! Poor Spanners!

Good thing you mainly communicate via the typed word rather than orally-uttered messages. And I do think Ladybird's made an excellent point - everyone needs a tale of horrendous injury to regale near-strangers with.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Tue 18th Dec '07 10:04AM
Crikey!
I echo all previous get well wishes. Not wanting to sound all compensation culture, but it would be nice for them to give you an explanation and apology at the very least!

Jog_Eerie
All this thinking has gone to our heads
Tue 18th Dec '07 10:04AM
366 Posts
Oops! Sorry! That was me!

Spanners*
Tue 18th Dec '07 12:45PM
4597 Posts
It is done. 2 stitches removed and I am now enjoying a rather fat deli roll. You just can't make this stuff up! I saw a different guy so I couldn't really hold it against him and demand an apology. I'll just put it down to experience and have a great NHS story to tell at parties!
Thanks for all the well wishes

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 19th Dec '07 8:30AM
4678 Posts
Glad you're OK now. Nothing worse than poorly-performed dentistry, and it's amazing how common shoddy toothwork seems to be. Don't think I've ever had a dental operation without complications. I'm currently waiting for a piece of lost tooth to work it's way out through my nasal cavity, as the last dentist assured me it would when she gave up trying to yank at it with pliers...

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 19th Dec '07 9:16AM
2522 Posts
i had two root canals last year. the closest i've ever come to commiting murder was when the dentist shoved a spike into my root canal to find where the live nerve started.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Wed 19th Dec '07 11:56AM
843 Posts
Good lord, missed this thread. I'm sure there's a malpractice suit in there somewhere, but hey if you're happy then you're happy! Enjoy your freedom of jaw movement again, and remember it's been good training for tetanus!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 6th Jan '08 4:48PM
2522 Posts
i just bit into a Tangfastic (one of those tough cherry ones) and the molar next to my canine cracked in two. luckily this tooth had some work done a couple of years ago (a root canal and a big filling) so theres no pain and the filling is holding the split tooth in place.

tooth trouble is one of my worst nightmares (second only to having my head set on fire and feeling my brain burn).

i only hope they don't sew my mouth shut like they did to poor spanners.

Spanners*
Tue 8th Jan '08 3:53PM
4597 Posts
The plot now thickens somewhat...
Around the festive season I started getting a bit concerned about a chunk of bone that appeared to be sticking out of my gum into my mouth so I headed back to the dental hospital at the end of last week and demanded to see the surgeon that had done this to me.
Mr Dentist then claimed that he had sewn my cheek to my gum on purpose to 'cover the wound better' and the other doctor shouldn't have taken the stitches out. When I asked him why he didn't tell me this in the first place he simply said 'we don't do that, if we told patients half of what was involved with getting a wisdom tooth out they'd run a mile'. However he did then go on to explain that the reason for the protruding bone was that they had to crack the bone open with a half inch chisel to get the tooth out and, although they'd squeezed it together again it hadn't stayed shut. Apparently it'll naturally wear away in about 3 months.
Dude! Ah well, I'm having a very happy week otherwise and it's not gonna get me down

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To General Merriment

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy