Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Would you want to live in a perfect world? - 1 to 3
Return To The Big Questions

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 23rd Jan '08 2:22PM
2708 Posts
I've been vaguely thinking about what a perfect world would be like recently and I thought I'd ask people what they're opinions were. Really this thread asks two questions:

1) What would a perfect world be like?
2) Would you actually want to live in it?

Now obviously there is an intrinsic problem here - if you don't want to live in it then something is wrong with it and therefore it's not a perfect world. But let's ignore that and instead try and define what a perfect world would be.

I suppose my idea of a perfect world would include the following:
No illness or disease.
The ability to cure any injury - including death.
Enough food and water for everyone (animals included) to never go hungry.
No world debt - or more accurately no need for money.
The ability to endlessly simplify life as appropriate - i.e. if you need a three legged table with inbuilt water fountain, coloured fluorescent lighting and massage chair which controlled all of your music, video and aromatherapy as well as being able to answer the door for you then you could easily build/create it.
Between them the above should deal with the vast majority of crime - although maybe not violent crime so we'll add that to the list as well.

Which sounds worryingly like the Star Trek universe...

Anyway, I find myself thinking that this isn't a world I'd really want to live in. It sounds incredibly boring somehow. Although illness, disease and injury can be (depending on the illness) anything from annoying to life-changing I find I like that uncertainty. Even death, which I assume would really ruin your day, has its uses in moving humanity forward as a species.

In fact generally its the complete uncertainty of life that I find most compelling and I can't imagine a perfect world that still had that element to it - mainly because to be perfect it should have done its best to abolish everything that makes us suffer so there's nothing left to care about.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but I'd be interested in other peoples thoughts.

Jog_Eerie
All this thinking has gone to our heads
Wed 23rd Jan '08 5:53PM
366 Posts
I went to Denmark once. It was very clean and organised and things worked remarkably well.

I hated it. It was eerie.

I think that's why I live in Birmingham, there's room for improvement and I could have a hand in that.

That saying, I wouldn't like the idea of people suffering just so it gave me something to do. This is more about infrastructure... although I think it's obvious I haven't thought this one through completely.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 23rd Jan '08 9:48PM
4678 Posts
I think the trouble is that no two people would have the same idea of a perfect world. We'd therefore have to have our own private worlds, and that would be very lonely, and therefore imperfect

Anyway, my perfect world would have no need for work. In fact, if I had no need to work, a little family and a place to call home, I don't think I could ask for much more out of life. So maybe, one day, when I become rich by inventing the cordless cord or reusable ice cream...

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy