Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Firefox 3 - 1 to 7
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Jan '08 11:03AM
4213 Posts
Is anyone else out there trying out Firefox 3?

It is still in beta at the moment, but if you google it you can download it off the firefox website.

First impressions are that it's a bit faster and the rendering is a bit sharper.

Most of my plug-ins aren't compatible, but it hasn't really crashed on me so far.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 30th Jan '08 5:08PM
4597 Posts
How is it with system resources? On my Linux machine I find I have to restart it every now an then as it's CPU usage continuously creeps up for no apparent reason.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Jan '08 5:35PM
4213 Posts
The two main changes that the majority of people will care about it that it is using Geko 1.9 which means the rendering is better and it has 300 memory leaks plugged and some kind of automated RAM garbage collector which should keep it a bit slimmer on the old memory banks.

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Wed 30th Jan '08 6:24PM
140 Posts
I tried it and none of my exciting plugins worked so i stopped. Maybe I should try again?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Jan '08 10:04PM
4213 Posts
Most plug-ins don't work but you might find that if you remove the option of compatibility checking some of them start working again.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 14th Feb '08 2:24AM
4213 Posts
Rocking the Beta 3 on my Ubuntu laptop.

Loving the address bad search the zooming with images and the improved text rendering and download application.

Can't use plug ins at the mo so will be switching back and forth still with Swiftfox.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 16th Feb '08 10:54PM
4213 Posts
Joy of joys for all you geeks out there.
Quite a few extensions are now available for Firefox 3 including some of the ones that I can't live without like Greasemonkey (Which means the Lifehacker Better Gmail, Better GReader and Better Youtube extensions now work), google notebook, addblock plus and PDF download.

I think this means I can start using it all the time, YAY!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy